Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Stroh's brewery tour « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading the schlitz thread brings to mind the Stroh's brewery tour. I'm sure many of you have the cool Detroit memory of touring the plant and then go sit in their pub and drink the very freshest of Stroh' beer while munching on stale pretzels. That place was so cool, me and my friends were going there before we were legal age. And if they weren't too busy, the didn't care how long you stayed.

my apologies if this has been discussed already.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im too young but I remember my mom coming home all toastie after one of the tours.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad was the host in both the Strohaus and the Rathskellar for many years...that is until Stroh's was bought out and he and numerous other folks were let go. Most nights if you had reservations for your group, you got sandwiches and beer after the tour.

This postcard was made in the 70's and my Dad is standing at the bar in a tan sport coat. I think all the people in the picture were employees.

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did the tour once way back in the 70's -- good time too!

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 487
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When was the brewery torn down? Also, does anyone have a picture of it right before the wrecking ball?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3958
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, yeah. Been there, done that. Lot of happy memories with lot of good friends. And the Stroh people really knew what the word, "hospitality", meant. Top notch outfit back then. And you never had to worry about being mugged in the place. There were always a half-dozen coppers in the joint, either on or off duty. All the Security guards Stroh had were retired DPD.

(Message edited by ray1936 on December 09, 2008)

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 361
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took the tour as a child. I think we were in sixth grade and our class went. Something was going on at Trinity Lutheran (next door) so we went there right after. It was closed shortly thereafter.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When was the brewery torn down? Also, does anyone have a picture of it right before the wrecking ball?"

It was about 1986 and they had a major fire during the process of demolishing the place. I believe it made the front page of the newspapers.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my dad also worked for Stroh, probably just after WWII. He worked in the brewery.

My own memories of Stroh are more visceral. We students of Monteith College at WSU always arranged for private tours of the brewing process and a reasonably good taste tasting project afterward. Food was generally dogs and fixings. One time Stroh provided a mini Three Stooges. Of course, because our erudition and general good behavior, we were always allowed to stay beyond the one hour allowance for swilling.

After one winter outing we came out to a raging blizzard. A lot of our friends did not have cars available to them. It was a white-knuckled afternoon trying to get everybody home.

At one time I worked for the Canadian Consulate General. No General at time. Only registered agent for a foreign government on my block.

One year, I was requested to host a group of students from Quebec City who could not raise enough money for the traditional tour of France. Of course, Detroit was the second choice. It was relatively small group. Two chaperones, their professor and his friend, a highly opinionated reporter working for the paper supporting the pro-Quebec secessionist movement.

Why not? We took them all to the Stroh Haus after the tour. After a little persuading, the company in their generosity (I believe there should be a couple of more commas),produced 3 cases of souvenier glasses. We gave two to the chaperones to split among the kids and themselves. My colleague and I took the last case. Might have come close to 16 to the box because I remember giving a number away and breaking many for years after.

Also, remember to honor Peter Stroh as a staunch supporter of the International Joint Commission and as an avid hunter and conservationist as well as great conversationalist.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 764
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stroh House is where my folks went, nothin like going to school wearing clothes that said Strohs. I remember them Signature bottles.

Little_mike
Username: Little_mike

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can remember reading an article one time way back in the 70s, probably in the Detroit News, dealing with the history of the brewery. The one thing I remember most was the way I-75 was routed around the brewery. When the freeway was built, everything in it's path was obviously razed. The brewery was in the path, but it was deemed that it was too important, and too much of a money making business to tear it down or move it, so they went around it. Looking at an aerial map of the city, one can see the bend in the Chrysler Freeway at that point.

I always liked going South on I-75 and seeing that big pink neon Stroh's sign way up in the night sky. Ahhhh.... memories.

For some reason, I'm getting thirsty!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2962
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ronaldj, I'm not even sure where you were going with all of that, but I sure enjoyed reading it.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2542
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took the tour and enjoyed the hospitality at the Strohaus many a time. I went there once with my Dad and as we entered the place all of the employees would say "Hi BOB!" and greet him, like Norm entering Cheers.

Joken
Username: Joken

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to disalussion any Peter Stroh lover but it was his blind sighted ideals which killed the Detroit brewery. I worked there for 20 yrs. and have high regards for a real Stroh , John SR.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family seconds that,Joken.

Joken

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John knew every man in that brewery. He knew they were the brewery, not some sign on a building.

Little_mike

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Sorry to disalussion any Peter Stroh lover but it was his blind sighted ideals which killed the Detroit brewery. I worked there for 20 yrs. and have high regards for a real Stroh , John SR."

Joken, I'm not making a stand either way on this issue, but as I recall, Stroh's (a company that had been around for what seemed like the beginning of Detroit) tried to go nationwide back around 1982-ish. It obviously didn't work, and everything went to hell from there. Having worked for Stroh's, I am sure this left a bad taste in your's and everyone else's mouths. What were the big "poor" decisions that lead to the demise other than they couldn't peddle the product outside of the Midwest?

Not just open to Joken, but to anyone with input.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3960
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Among my Detroit souvenirs here in Las Vegas.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many of you "borrowed" a beer glass after the tour?

A couple buddies that worked there had quite an impressive collection

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine:
Thank you for the compliment.

Here is a partial review of Under the Influence a 1991 book published regarding Anhueser Busch. It can be found at beerfestival.org.

"Some Americans--their ranks include both beer snobs and prohibitionists--consider Anheuser-Busch the devil incarnate. Still, the devil deserves his due. Anheuser-Busch is an American rarity: a family business that not only survived but came to dominate its industry. The Busches have outlasted the founding families of Pabst, Schlitz, and even Coors.

In Under the Influence, prize-winning journalists Peter Hernon and Terry Gainey tell how the Busches managed this feat. Theirs is definitely an unauthorized biography; in fact, CEO August Busch III ordered Anheuser-Busch employees not to cooperate with them."

Quote marks mine just to separate text. Gives one an idea how Schlitz, Pabst and,in the long run, Stroh were steam-rollered by AB juggernaut.

AB seems to have gotten their comeuppance by recent purchase by InBev. Stella Artois, anyone?

A very fascinating read.

Rideron
Username: Rideron

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That family all got big bucks from the Schlitz buy out. Posturing to be bought out was the only reason form the 'expansion' Stroh pursued in the late 70's early 80's.

Senior
Username: Senior

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my two cents worth...Stroh's was a high-class QUALITY brewery which did a great job in it's own territory. Some of the expansion decisions made by whoever was in charge at the time started the demise. Remember, Stroh's was Fire-brewed in Detroit, and when the decision to stop brewing in Detroit was made, brewing methods were compromised at other locations. Among other poor choices were the purchase of Hamm's brewery (the sky-blue waters were fine, but the brewery wasn't) and the ill-fated attempt to merge with Coor's. Coor's quality was not an issue, but on some of the other ventures it should have been delved into more deeply than it obviously was. One constant with Stroh's was always QUALITY, and whomever was checking out the facilities before the mergers or purchases dropped the ball. I don't claim to have seen them all, but I've been in enough to know that the Stroh Brewery in Detroit was head and shoulders above most others. Some may be close, but there weren't any better.

Senior

Joken

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Mike, It was his decision to shut down the Detroit brewery(Peter Stroh).The Detroit plant was STROHS ....

Little_mike

Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see your points, guys, and I agree that the original brewery should heve been the anchor of the entire output. That was where the quality was started and kept.

On the other side, what was the logic from management's side for closing the Detroit brewery down? Was it outdated? Too much $$$ to upgrade? Could they get more production out of the others? Cheaper labor?

Obviously, they made the wrong decisions that ultimately cost everyone everything.

Joken

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they could make the beer cheaper per barrel in the out state plants, cheaper not better. typical mindset in American industry today

Little_mike

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything to save a buck. Make the bottom line look good, and satisfy the bean counters.

And that was the end of one of the most fabled breweries this country has ever had.

R.I.P. Stroh's. You served us well.

Thanks for the scoop, Joken. From one beer lover to another.

Senior
Username: Senior

Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adding to my two cents worth....The Detroit Stroh Brewery, (as well as ALL the appurtenant buildings, bottling, shipping, warehousing, Ice Cream Plant, etc.,) were all examples of leadership in an industry. Cleanliness was a given, just an assumed characteristic of the operations.
As mentioned above by Joken, John Stroh was a strong, driving influence on the rise of Stroh's to a position of regional importance in the Beer industry. I've never heard of him doing anything which cheapened the image of Stroh's. Of course, he didn't last forever, otherwise Stroh's Detroit may still be here.

Senior

Joken

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Stroh Sr. was quite a man. In 1970 he was still driving his old Hudson. Never wasted money and always thought of the brewery first. the ice cream plant was a real love of his, it brought him thru prohibition times and saved the brewery.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Stroh wanted to run a brewery, Peter Stroh wanted to make money, and this was the beginning of the downfall of Stroh's. Peter Stroh and the Stroh family made themselves rich through the Schlitz buyout. But the resulting debt load pretty much killed the company -- although the finality of this wouldn't become fully clear for several years. The buyout created a situation where Stroh's suddenly owned several facilities but was short on cash, so the most expensive-to-operate facilities, like Detroit, were shut down. Of course the product also became crappier too as more compromises were made.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.