Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Lafeyette Building coming down » Archive through December 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 594
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The previous few posts here... well written and thought out! The claim that it'll be cheaper to demo rather than mothball is just not true!

And have we yet seen any proof that the city is intending to demolish the Lafayette? I mean written proof posted or published somewhere?

The part about securing the building... it's just true. If you secure the structure, remove the greenery on the roof and perhaps affix temporary glass over the windows, it won't be near as costly as demolishing and abating the whole structure. Then we need to KEEP the building secure... windows on the top floor don't just break by themselves, they break because people get inside. I would say the Lafayette Bldg is an important piece of the puzzle along Michigan Avenue downtown. It may not be a cornerstone like the Book Cadillac is, but it is an important and uniquely-shaped piece. I too vote for a good and solid mothball plan, whether the alternative be demo or further languish. That would be most responsible on the part of the city at this time.

As someone said just a short ways up, an incremental reuse plan would be best here. If they can get ground floor and perhaps the first one or two above that abated and reused, that'll be some return on investment and will spark interest in the remaining part of the structure, which could be rehabbed later.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gilbert option is the real wild card in the situation. There are certain things that make me think the Lafayette is not coming down.

First, the fencing around it doesn't take up the whole sidewalk. If the fencing was for demo it would take up 100 percent of the sidewalk.

Second, Gilbert has options on three largely vacant lots to build on in the Statler site, Hudson site and the Library lot. If he has grand plans to build new I think he would capitalize on those first if anything because its easier.

Third, Gilbert is a big proponent of the Creative Corridor initiative. Part of that calls for creating a start-up incubator in the downtown area. Lafayette would seem to be a logical place for this because of its location and availability. Remember TechTown was built from a largely abandoned building stock. Ann Arbor SPARK is doing the same thing with its east incubator in downtown Ypsilanti.

Fourth, it's much cheaper to rehab than to build something comparably new. In this economy I wouldn't be surprised if Gilbert decides to renovate and rebrand a historic building, claim the green mantle for a few years before building his new home at the Statler or Hudson sites.

Fifth, the original post was about just demolition, very vague. Danindc pointed out it could be just for interior demolition, which is something much different than razing the building. No matter what happens to the Lafayette, the interior needs to be demoed first.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 452
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good lord.

Gilbert won't build anything until the credit markets shore up.

Buildings won't be renovated until there is a demand.

There won't be a demand until those who preach the tenants of urbanism from Ferndale, Royal Oak and elsewhere move to the city.

Those who preach those tenants of urbanism from their perch in RO and Ferndale won't move until streets are safe, streets are clean, taxes are low, city workers do something other than drive around the city all day escaping any real work and the schools are acceptable.

Of course, tearing down the building is the easy solution for our leaders and protesting the tear down is the easy solution for the peanut gallery. Tear it down (or protest it) and move on. Addressing the issues of an entitled, un-skilled workforce, an unreasonable and unbearable tax load, a corrupt city government, petty crime, aggressive panhandling and a dysfunctional school board - we'll leave those to the next administration.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway - Not a bad thought as a location for the Creative Corridor Incubator, but I do not believe that a physical location is one of their priorities right now.

But Gilbert may just give up on building or rehabbing and move into 1001. Maybe he already has?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3987
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, I'm surprised no one caught this, but the original poster spelled Lafayette wrong.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hold on Registeredguest. I have been one of the loudest voices here for saving the Lafayette and I am not the Oakland County suburbanite waiting for Detroit to correct its problems. I live in the city. Have done so for years. My business is here, too. My little bother I mentioned in an earlier post is through Big Brothers Big Sisters. He has plenty of problems not of his own creation to deal with besides trying to make his way through the morass of DPS and a neighborhood he doesn't feel completely safe in.

To say that myself or others here who have advocated for the Lafayette's preservation are just building huggers ignoring the city's deeply rooted real problems is far from accurate. In fact its irresponsible as citizens actively engaged in improving their community to ignore something like the Lafayette or razing a vacant home in our neighborhood. There are several empty homes and apartment building in my neighborhood. I don't want any of them razed. Those are homes for people to live in or potential places to start a new business. They make up an important part of the fabric of our community. An empty, weed-choked lot takes away from it.

Now your post might be aimed at a more macro look of Metro Detroit. That's fine. I actually agree with a number of those points on a macro level. I just don't want the preservation-minded folks here, myself included, lumped into some sort of starry-eyed group only interested in suburban quarter backing from far away.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I could definitely see the incubator going into 1001. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the plan. Hey, I would be fine with it if that was the plan. I'd love to see it go forward in the 1001.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 770
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that Detroitrise. I also noticed that the original poster updated the wikipedia page for this building at the same time of posting.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3988
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In fact, while we're all going into deep discussion, the original poster deleted & practically gave up on this thread.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 457
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very interesting...maybe a handle from the city testing the waters to see how a lafayette demo w/federal dollars will fly?

or maybe one of those martians?

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or a handle from one of the demo companies.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 596
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt they'd be using federal dollars. If so, they'd have to go through Section 106 Review, which would probably stop them dead in their tracks...

http://michigan.gov/hal/0,1607 ,7-160-17449_18638_21819-57476 --,00.html

Although the Lafayette Building is not on the National Register, I believe it would be considered National Register eligible, and is therefore subject to review.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 460
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, over a hundred posts of meandering speculation based on a prank by a troll. Nice work.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1890
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but it has been one of the more interesting threads on this forum in a while.

Staticstate
Username: Staticstate

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so would they arrest you if you went down there with a scrubber and started cleaning it or what? That would make an interesting news story... "Man arrested for cleaning blight"

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 5328
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

so would they arrest you if you went down there with a scrubber and started cleaning it or what? That would make an interesting news story... "Man arrested for cleaning blight"

I think it would be more like, "Naive Do-Gooder Seriously Injured in Vacant Building, Arrested for Trespassing".

Rb336, this thread's creator, is one of the more thoughtful posters on these forums. I'm surprised that some of you think he could be trolling.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 458
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry, no disrespect Rb. what do i know about anything??? i'm just sorry you're gone.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 461
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "so would they arrest you if you went down there with a scrubber and started cleaning it or what? That would make an interesting news story... "Man arrested for cleaning blight"

Do you really think it's simply a matter of some dust that needs "scrubbing" that's holding the building back from being used? That developers in the city have not moved to use the building because they can't find someone to sweep the place?

Staticstate
Username: Staticstate

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey_Player, that's not at all what I'm saying. I was making a general statement in regards to the concept of making it look better unused as an alternative to just knocking it down.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 462
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it is to be demolished, it's not because the windows need scrubbing and there's a tree on the roof. It's because it would take tens of millions of dollars to gut and renovate, not to mention there needs to be a market for more office space in a downtown with plenty of office vacancies already.

It's not that someone's saying "This is ugly, let's get rid of it." It's because there's zero interest in developing it, and city officials don't care for people in the new Book Cadillac having to stare at an abandoned building in the center of downtown for years to come.

Danindc

Post Number: 5329
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's because there's zero interest in developing it, and city officials don't care for people in the new Book Cadillac having to stare at an abandoned building in the center of downtown for years to come.

The City would much rather have the residents and guests of the Book Cadillac stare at an empty gravel lot, populated by rats, pheasants, and "Detroit palm" trees.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3884
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HP: That's a wee bit disingenuous. Why would the latter statement be true (city officials don't care for people in the new Book Cadillac having to stare at an abandoned building in the center of downtown for years to come) unless the former were true too (someone's saying "This is ugly, let's get rid of it.")

Hockey_player

Post Number: 463
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you lived here, you could ask city officials that question as I have, and find out that it's actually true. Though in real life in Detroit, it would be an active parking lot, and not some movie stereotype of Detroit with rats and pheasants and trees in it.

But why deal in reality when we can be ridiculous?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3885
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. OOOOH! An *active* parking lot. How URBAN. :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7597
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey_player... I have to respectfully disagree with you... because according to your logic... the Detroit Free Press Building, the Book Building and Book Tower, the United Artists Building, the Wurlitzer Building, the Metropolitan Building, 1001 Building and dozens of others (that could possibly be viewed as empty buildings from the 33 story Book Cadillac) should be torn down... because right now in our bad economy... there's zero interest in any of them!

No no no no no......

Danindc

Post Number: 5330
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Though in real life in Detroit, it would be an active parking lot, and not some movie stereotype of Detroit with rats and pheasants and trees in it.

I guess my eyes only see movie stereotypes, then.

Is this parking lot going to be landscaped and lighted, as well as active? Because that would be sweet--$5 all-day parking right in the middle of downtown. Of course, it wouldn't need to be a parking lot for long. Once the building is demolished, it won't block out so much of the sunlight, and developers will rush to fill it in with a brand new steel-and-glass high-rise.

Fucking Throwaway Culture and Planned Obsolescence--invented and still living well in Detroit!

Hockey_player, might I suggest a move to Charlotte or Atlanta? You might find it more to your liking. There's no pesky old historical building stock or sense of place to get in the way of all the shiny new skyscrapers.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say the United Artists Building is next in line to be endangered. It is in the hands of Illich who has no need for another theater, or office building for that matter.

Danindc

Post Number: 5332
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^and of course, the City will hand Ilitch millions of dollars to tear it down, since the price of plywood, 6-mil poly sheathing, and a padlock is just astronomical anymore....

Hockey_player

Post Number: 464
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc - "I guess my eyes only see movie stereotypes, then."

They must, since you don't live here and don't have a clue what actually goes on here.

DN- Do you really think that city officials decided that cosmetic issues like broken or dirty windows and a tree on the roof justify tearing down a historic skyscraper?

It's not a matter simply of it being ugly and needing some goofballs to sweep it out. It's a matter of them looking into the future and seeing no realistic redevelopment of it in a city with plenty of office space already.

I like the building. I wish and hope it stays. But since I don't have $50 million to fix it, I really don't have much say in it, now do I? I could rant and rave like Dan and make myself somehow feel relevant, but that does nothing to salvage the building.

Gistok - the Freep, etc. doesn't have pieces falling to the street, doesn't have hazardous materials blowing out the windows, doesn't have colonies of pigeons living on every floor.

Again, I'm all for saving the building. If you are so serious about it, then people can get some investors together and fix it instead of demanding that others do so just so you can stare at it and say how neat it is.

(Message edited by hockey_player on December 10, 2008)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3886
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HP: I think civic leaders look at these buildings and are humiliated by them. Demolition companies exploit their vanity and promise to get rid of those haunting reminders that things used to be much better before they took office.

(Message edited by detroitnerd on December 10, 2008)