Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Do you donate $$ to PBS-DPTV? Read this before you give them another dime « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Somebidder1
Username: Somebidder1

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so Detroit Public TV is under watch by GuideStar.org, a watchdog site for non-profits.

According to their tax filings and quarterly reporting, which are available on the GuideStar site, DPTV spends 60% of the amount it gets in donations on salaries and internal costs.

http://tinyurl.com/DPTV-ripsyo uoff

And look at the salaries: some very nice meaty 6-figure payouts to mostly a bunch of analog-driven underachieving middle-aged men who do nothing at that station but rehash national programming for 80% of their time slots.

They screwed the city by moving to Wixom, an extremely northern-most suburb, they hire a known head-hunter for the new CEO at a rumored salary of half-a-mil/year who whacked a large portion of the lower-paying jobs, while keeping the fat cats in their seats, while they continually beg for donation dollars. Hell, they ought to just call it the "donation channel".

Look at some of their profile:
(start snip)
How You Can Help:
This organization is seeking funds from contributions and grants. These funds will be used for unrestricted operating expenses, special projects, building improvements and endowments.

Objectives for Fiscal Year Beginning July 1, 2008

1. Detroit Public TV seeks to continue to "enrich the lives of individuals through history, the arts, and science" by "providing outstanding programming; and, educating and preparing children and adults for productive and satisfying futures."
(endsnip)

Do you feel enriched?

Detroiters ought to demand MORE local programming, programming that is produced *outside* of DPTV, so that more people can earn income, not just fat cats like J Forster with his $1,000/minute billing to anyone who wants to do a show.

PBS airwaves belong to the public, not these assholes - lets take them back!

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And they don't do a good job of rehashing the programming either.

Perpetual fundraising mode, programming not on when it is supposed to be, etc.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 337
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many times can you see Roy Orbison??
Those oldies shows are a riot too. Usually one guy from the original group that they roll out in a wheelchair (slight exaggeration) with a house band.
The audience looks like people they bussed in from the local nursing home.
Granted there are some good specials from time to time but they get wrecked with constant appeals for money. It just makes you want to change the channel. What's with that one guy's hair anyway?
A Beatles hairdo on an old guy looks pretty cheesy.

Somebidder1

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth: DPTV=the fundraising channel.

Daddeeo: EXACTLY!!! I would LOVE to know how constantly trotting out music specials from 1960's pop groups fulfills their mission of:

"enrich the lives of individuals through history, the arts, and science" by "providing outstanding programming; and, educating and preparing children and adults for productive and satisfying futures."

Try and actually get a local program on there educational, historical or otherwise - they will stop you faster than anything, and give you some song and dance about how it doesn't "meet their standards".
That's because they make more money by obtaining permission to run other programming than they do to produce local.

And I'm sorry, but Am I Right, Visit the D and American Black Journal are less than 1% of their programs. And 2 of those programs are mostly re-runs.

The fact that DPTV paid a fundraising CONSULTANT 1/4 of a million dollars in a year tells you a lot about "Detroit" Public Television!

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5105
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hold on there. Those 'six figure payout' salaries are just barely six figure and are not at all out of line for an $18 million dollar operation.

pay

What would you rather have? No public television?

Support Public Broadcasting!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like the post of someone who's show was recently rejected.

Ripping on middle aged people or the fact they make (industry standard) money... come on.

I agree with some of your points around programming, but all in all, they do provide a good service and there are standards for a reason. What fits the majority of their audience (which they know), production values, etc.

If you want change, the last thing you should do is get all angry about it and attack people (like technicians) that have absolutely zero to do with those decisions.

Somebidder1

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my point wasn't about the 6-figure salary amounts, which by the way are much higher now, since that is a 2006 filing - it was what are these people (who are NOT technicians) doing to support their professed goal, and their commitment to Detroit?

Nothing but rehashed national programming for the most part.

No, I don't have a personal axe to grind, I just know people who basically got a an "up yours" from DPTV, citing standards, when "Get Up Get Out" and "Am I Right?" are not exactly high-quality programs from either a content or a production perspective.

The point of the post is that they whine about needing money for programming, but if you look at the ENTIRE filing, you will see just how little $$ goes to actual programming, and how much goes to:
-salaries
-consultants (1/2 mil right there)
- the infamous overhead, which includes LOTS of new equipment and the fancy Wixom facility.
Equipment that sits unused, because even though they are a "public" station, they don't provide the "public" access.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PBS is not public access tv.

"LOTS" of new equipment is for modernizing and transition to the new digital broadcasting format.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 5888
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell - Scroll down further to see the salary of people at a higher level.

Let's not post half the facts to support a scumbag organization that is corrupt and offers nothing to the region.

President makes 400K with benefit contributions included
CFO makes 200K
Station manager makes 200K.

Of course these are the same scumbags that claimed they wanted to stay in Detroit but couldn't find a location with high eneough visibility. Wixom off the freeway must offer that.

Donate to who you want but know that very little of your dollars goes to the public good with this poorly run, corrupt organization.

There should be a law passed that requires non-profits to list the salary of the officers whenever anyone makes a donation.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 351
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long time supporters of WTVS, I will have to do some more checking.

When channel surfing we often choose WKAR, East Lansing's PBS station, over WTVS. But we have always supported WTVS with donations.

It would not be an exaggeration to say that PBS has shaped my life and our sons' lives: Upstairs Downstairs, Cosmos, Nova, Nature, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, Masterpiece Theatre, Sesame Street, Austin City Limits, Ken Burns documentaries, American Experience, Frontline, This Old House, New Yankee Workshop. Wow, I am surprising myself as I type the names of all these great shows.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 704
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebidder1 - excellent post. I've questioned DPTV for the same reasons. Their move to the suburbs was particularly grating. Lowell makes a good point, BUT, I'm sure there are others out there that could, and would, do an equal, if not better, job of running the station and network for a much better price. Unfortunately, it's our only source for programs such as Bill Moyers and Frontline. Wal-Mart, amongst other major corporations, is now an advertiser, or whatever the euphemism is they now use for buying time and influence. While our backs were turned(and they were wrecking everything else), the republicrats and demicans defunded our only source of publicly owned and operated television. Sad. WDET is going the same route.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 252
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did Wixom become an "extremely northern-most suburb?"

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If PBS Doesn't Do It, Who Will?"

If PBS doesn't do it and no one else does that means it probably doesn't need to be done.

Many years ago during the pre-cable days or even when cable first started I could see a need for some of the stuff PBS was airing. Right now there are too many good cable stations that are doing much of the same stuff PBS does and in my opinion doing it better.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 198
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The point of the post is that they whine about needing money for programming, but if you look at the ENTIRE filing, you will see just how little $$ goes to actual programming...

Somebidder1 - based on the figures in their 2007 annual report, programming accounts for 66% of their total expenses and 65% of total revenue.

Just to compare, amounts in Chicago public TV - WTTV's 2007 report, programming accounts for 70% of their total expenses and 72% of total revenue.

Not a huge difference.

Sources:
http://www.dptv.org/ar2007/200 7p14.pdf
http://www.wttw.com/res/pdf/wt tw%20wfmt%202007%20annual.pdf

Townonenorth

Post Number: 460
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"LOTS" of new equipment is for modernizing and transition to the new digital broadcasting format.

I'd wonder why the government isn't funding some of this since it's THEIR mandate. And these stations are still somewhat funded by the government, arent they?

I'd think the programming costs across the board would be more or less equal, but this station built is pretty opulent. A far cry from their beginnings, that's for sure.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The government funding their mandates?

Surely you jest!

Townonenorth

Post Number: 463
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

/snark {I still can't find that html code for sarcasm, sorry.}

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5967
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree partly with Jt1. The city even offered them space on the Monroe Block... how can it possibly get more "visible" than that?

Their CEO Antonini was really playing hardball, even when some of the big time Detroit business CEO's were trying to persuade him to stay in the city.

Supposedly they picked Wixom because they had a ready use TV studio with EXISTING equimpent... so how come now all of a sudden they need way more cash for their buying NEW equipment for the conversion to digital?

Didn't they think of that before they bought the Wixom location?

More like the head honcho Antonini wanted a shorter commute home...

I wonder if any of the other major PBS stations around the country have studios way out away from their central city?

Lowereast
Username: Lowereast

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once PBS moved to Wixom, I stopped giving my money/time.

I had no idea they were offered the Monroe block...thats really disappointing.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8153
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I object to most are the three - four weeks every quarter of infomercials for self-help charlatans like Suze Orman or the play the piano guy or the cadaver with grecian formula hair hawking nutritional supplements

Townonenorth

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't watch anymore. I've given up. Finding the shows that I want to watch has become a chore, due to the unceasing fund raising show displacement. Can't DVR, nothing.

Seriously, I hate the self help shows, but supposedly these shows bring in the most bucks, according to a recent e-mail I recieved. Seems as if holding the more popular shows hostage is a more effective tool for them fundraising wise.

Good luck to them.

(Message edited by townonenorth on December 15, 2008)

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a bad move leaving Second Street behind... I lost all respect at that point--we've argued this before. Was also unaware of the Monroe block situation... Sad..

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why are you so mad that they spend their money on equipment and salaries? what other expenses are there for a TV station? doesn't it make a ton of sense that a TV station uses it's money to transmit television waves?

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They picked Wixom because the building's owner there donated half of the building's cost to the station. They were essentially offered a new-ish, sprawling building for half of its cost. That's how they ended up in Wixom. Yes, they cry that city didn't work with them to stay in Detroit, but if you want to know why Wixom, that's the reason.

The salaries are a joke. Nearly 103k/year to Kelley Hamilton to stand on camera and smile? She may be the director of development, but her fund-raising skills set is limited to direct mail, and she has been a key person in charge of the epic fail that is the station's capital campaign. By failing to meet its mark, DPTV stands to lose a shitload in $$$ from the Kresge Foundation, which would've kicked in funds had the station met its goal. Granted, there is time left in the campaign, but it is not looking good.

I think public television is important for what public television offers, but that station is rife with undereducated (and evidently overpaid) rubes who don't know shit about shit.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will continue supporting Channel 56. One of the reasons they left their antiquated headquarters in Detroit is the same reason Detroit College of Law left Detroit---the locations they were shown as "available" were far from suitable. Their current location fulfills their needs and I understand it was already "wired", saving them lots of $$ otherwise needed.

We have enjoyed their Sunday mysteries for years, their special programming, the courtesy shown us when we have talked with their personnel, and the variety of programs offered.

A minimal contribution of $40 entitles you to receive their Signal Magazine which is an excellent publication listing their complete programming for the month.

Regardless of location and the alleged exhorbatant salaries paid to their executives, Detroit Public Television will continue to get our vote.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What pisses me off, is they will not air the Great Performances Show live, and PBS is one of the few places one can see Classical music, but not here in Culturally deprived Detroit. They love to show it DAYS after a concert has been performed, or not at all.

I won't give to them. Not as long as they schedule programming the lousy way they are at this time.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8815
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that the same Antonini who ran K-Mart into the ground?

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Antoniotti is the former GM at Channel 56.

Joseph Antonini is the former head of Kmart.

Gistok

Post Number: 5970
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the correction Craggy. Did Steve Antoniotti retire, pursue other interests or get the boot?

Craggy

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what I have on that, from a Smyntek Freep column a few years ago...

"In an unexpected announcement Tuesday, Detroit public television station WTVS-TV (Channel 56) board of trustees announced it had accepted immediately the resignation of president and general manager Steven R. Antoniotti, who led the station since 1995.

In a news release, the board said Antoniotti "tendered his resignation because of an acknowledged failure to comply with station requirements, unrelated to financial matters.""

Craggy

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should clarify that I was not in Detroit at that time, and know nothing of the situation.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8160
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Seriously, I hate the self help shows, but supposedly these shows bring in the most bucks"

i don't buy that line

I would bet that they put them on because they get paid to put them on

Gistok

Post Number: 5972
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what's with all the Irish culture?? Granted I like Celtic Woman and Celtic Thunder... but aren't they going a bit overboard on the Irish thing? Europe's a big continent...

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 584
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could PBS survive as a "for-profit" station? I wouldn't mind watching commercials in exchange for being spared their fundraising drives.

I disagree with the "rehashing of national programming" argument. Where on the network nightly news programs can you see the extensive interviews and discussions like you see on NewsHour or Nightly Business Report?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2877
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry - I'm not in a position to donate this year or probably next.

But some of this programming they are doing now is pretty lame. Do we really need to be lectured on how to be healthy and happy and in "tune" with our minds when we can barely Eek out a living ?

Give us Frontline again, so we know who is screwing with our way of life.

Give us something that enriches our knowledge of our history.

Give us something that can be practical for entertainment, (but not painting and crafts). We have Martha for that.

How many cooking shows can you watch before you start to gag ?

And who is that chef that should shave his knuckles and arms ? (probably as required by law).

You have a ways to go 56.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 690
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We nearly passed a property tax for this.

Watch out next August 2010 when the SMART property tax renewal results in more 6 figure state employee salaries as even more state funding is cut from SMART from the elderly, handicapped and the low inocme.

We take from the poor and give to the rich with our tax donations.

But why?

See the updated trainman websice in DETROIT LINKS and learn the truth about public bus service in southeast Michigan, before you vote in even more tax increases.

Craggy

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big b...

Frontline is still on Channel 56 regularly. As for historical programming, "American Experience" is as good as it gets. Far better than anything cable offers.

They seem not to fundraise around their normal programming, though.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 627
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They ought to sell advertizing space in "black areas" at the top and bottom of their screens that is created when they show programs in wide-screen format. It seems like wasted space to me. Maybe they could offer to show the names of their contributors. Some people would like that recognition.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4392
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They still sell a lot of ads. I.e. after Jim Lehrer lists the days headlines but before the substantive reporting begins, they have a few 30 second spots (recently, they've had ads for Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino film, interestingly).

The News Hour and shows like Charlie Rose and Tavis Smiley (which for some reason WTVS cancelled for no good reason during this week) are invaluable. I agree that WTVS is not impressive with regards to showing major concerts/classical music that other PBS stations show (and PBS in general is just a pretty poor venue for classical music at this point). Their local show about the DIA is good, though.

Taking all their jobs and tax money out to Wixom shouldn't exactly inspire anyone to help them.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 530
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check Page 28 for some higher salaries....

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2957
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm now watching the "Nutcracker" on PBS. This is what they should be known for.

Thank you, PBS.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.