Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Kim Worthy is running for which office? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim Worthy is enjoying some huge approval ratings, both inside and outside the city, after sending Kwame to jail. Right now she could be Wayne County Prosecutor for life if she chooses. But politicians on the upswing normally aim for higher office. Seeing this headline makes me think she has one in mind.

Worthy releases list of video games for parents to avoid
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20081215/METRO /812150411

Which office do you think she might aim for in the next few years? She could definitely win Wayne County Executive if Ficano runs for governor. I could see her running for the open attorney general's office in 2010, maybe even governor. Or maybe, just maybe, she wants to take out Cheeks in 2010.

The world is Kim Worthy's right now. Where do you see her heading?

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 466
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she's releasing that kind of information, I'd peg her running for Attorney General next election.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3602
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I agree. AG would be my guess.

I met her last year. She's a very impressive lady in person.

Not only do I think she'd have a great chance of winning, but I think she'd make a particularly good AG (i.e., both effective and trustworthy)for the state of Michigan.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rumor is Levin's seat. She needs four more years to earn her full pension from the county.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The iron might be cold if she waiting until 2014 to go after Levin's seat. Not to mention there will be a lot of Democratic heavy hitters aiming for that, namely Granholm. The conventional wisdom seems to be AG, but I wouldn't be surprised to see her running for Gov. She would immediately be seen as a top-tier candidate after convicting Kwame.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate that she's blaming what those kids did on video games. How about holding the kids themselves responsible? Maybe they are just assholes. I play as much GTA as the next guy, and I've never killed anyone.
I guess that's par for the course as far as politicians are concerned, but it still bothers me.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3609
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought she was a shoe-in for AG after putting the fire to Kwame's ass. I don't quite see her as a shoe-in for the governor's seat yet, but she could probably compete for Levin's Senate.

Electing Worthy as the first black female governor in the country's history would be an instant image boost for Michigan. But I'm not convinced she is the right person for the job yet.

I think Granholm will be appointed to a court in her future.

(Message edited by iheartthed on December 15, 2008)

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a Criminal Court of appeals ( the state's highest court = to Supreme Court) court judge in Texas saying that being district Atty ( what Worthy is) was the best job he had ever had.

Yeah maybe she wants a statewide office but there are many DA's that really enjoy the hand to hand combat against criminals.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3905
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it's pretty obvious she's campaigning through her office for higher office. She's doing exactly what Granholm and Cox did and is doing.

Seeing as how Cox is so obviously running for governor, it would appears she's angling for state attorney general, and I wouldn't be surprised to see her eventually run for governor.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5032
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure she's released lists like that before. One of her big intents has always been public outreach and education. She's had seminars to familiarize the public with the office - explaining the details of law enforcement and prosecution, showing what they actually do and what tv doesn't get right. From what I understand these seminars have sold out in the past.

(Message edited by lilpup on December 15, 2008)

Jackie5275
Username: Jackie5275

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup-you're correct. She's put these lists out before, as did Ficano when he was sheriff.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 275
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Worthy is interested in statewide office, I think she should play to her strengths and focus on positions in the judiciary. Attorney General or possibly a seat on the state supreme court someday would appear to be logical scenarios.

She would have to show me a LOT more political savvy and get real specific about her postitions on the various issues before I could consider voting for her a U.S. Senator, governor, etc.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.