Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Eastern Market Lofts « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone live in Eastern Market or know anything about living there? What's the area like safety wise? Is it safe to walk to downtown and back after dusk?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 845
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

probably the biggest safety concern you will have is trying to avoid getting spray-painted. the usual bert's and vivio's crowds are pretty hep, as are the people who come and go from the lofts in that area. gratiot, going into town, is lightly travelled, and done so by folks minding their business, or just looking for a dollar.

Sparty06

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything else?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 502
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its pretty quiet. A friend had her catalytic convertor sawed off overnight when parked on the street. Thats was during a time when there was a rash of the incidents in the city though. Seems that trend has slowed down.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 280
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"probably the biggest safety concern you will have is trying to avoid getting spray-painted."
Spray painted by whom? Why?
Do you mean graffiti?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2944
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

live where in EM?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The place is overrun with obnoxious drunk assholes on Lions game days. Not really a safety concern, but I think I would find it kind of annoying if I lived there. Then again, if you're a Lions fan, you might just want to grab a six-pack and join in. I can certainly see why Lions fans find the prospect of getting shitfaced more appealing than watching the games sober.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 970
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear- haha! drunk lions fans! you are right!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So drunk football fans 8 days of the year (really only 4 by the time people lose interest) is a reason to not move there?

Sparty06

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So people generally would feel its safe to walk to downtown and back after dusk?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So drunk football fans 8 days of the year (really only 4 by the time people lose interest) is a reason to not move there?

That's for Sparty to decide. I'm just throwing it out there in case it is a consideration. If it was me, I'd rather find out about things like that before I moved there, whether or not they influenced my decision.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 726
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the name Sparty06 means that he/she went to MSU, 8 days of tailgaters out of the year is nothing. Besides, if you live in the city, you are going to hear city noises. If you want quiet, move to the country.

(Message edited by rjlj on December 16, 2008)

Lefty2

Post Number: 2945
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

em lofts are great very safe, trust me.

Sparty06

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I remember back during my freshman year at MSU being woken up at the crack of dawn every home football Saturday by tailgaters. No big deal, I'm more interested in the general safety of the area in terms of violent crimes or muggings/robberies etc. I'd also really like to know if people feel that its safe to walk around at night without fear or a mugging or something similar.

(Message edited by sparty06 on December 16, 2008)

Thecarl

Post Number: 855
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sparty, i attend and occasionally work at historic trinity on gratiot, right there by eastern market. i have attended numerous events at bert's and vivio's, and in the lofts around the intersection of russell and gratiot. the environment is very hep and the only crime wave to speak of is the rampant tagging by graffiti punks. i have met a lot of nice people down there, and know people who lived down there. it has a strong sense of community. you can prowl about at night with your friends, old or new.

but hey, don't take my word for it. again.

Sparty06

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very "hep"... Does hep mean "hip"?

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never walked it after dusk, but biked it many times and never had an inkling of a problem. Its not well traveled by pedestrians though, except during Lions games (btw I am one of those drunk Lions fans in EM). Sparty, I've realized you've asked in many threads about safety in different Detroit neighborhoods... are you contemplating moving to Detroit? If so, I just want to let you know that when I moved to the city I was expecting to have to deal with rampant crime and possible fear of safety. Having grown up in suburban Detroit, it was hard to get that ingrained fear out of my head. After living in the city for over two years, I have had nothing remotely criminal happen to me, you just need to be a little smart. Don't leave change exposed in your car, don't park your car in a dark area or by loud noises such as highway or train, get an alarm, etc. I live about 3/4 of a mile from Comerica Park and walk to and from almost every game. I also walk my dog every night around 10pm. Never a problem except the occasional panhandler, but even that seems to subside some after you live downtown for awhile (i really think they read people's persona) You really won't feel totally comfortable here until you try it out, so make the move already! :-) I still think that Woodward from downtown to midtown is the most 24hr street, both with perceived safety (the upgraded lighting) and real safety (WSU police patrol, DMC security patrol, DPS patrol, State cops (New Center), and more mixed use buildings with people able to look down on the streets to help keep them safe at night) There are some awesome places in EM though, good luck and sorry for the loooong post.

Lefty2

Post Number: 2949
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the fd lofts are good if you want an opinion

Sparty06

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lo,
I am considering moving into the city and I'm not one of those people who expects crime to be rampant or anything like that but obviously, like most people, crime is something that concerns me. I understand that all big cities experience crime but my worry is more that I'll move some place and then feel like a prisoner in my own home after sun-down because of worries of crime. I read the crime reports from WSU and what not and see that despite midtown and other areas supposed "safeness" a lot of bad things happen to a lot of innocent people, many of them are people who keep their eyes open and are aware of how to act in a big city. However, I contrast that with all of my friends who have moved into the city and love it (so I know that the negative perceptions don't always equal reality). So my posts about safety are more just trying to get a sense of how posters feel about particular areas. I understand that people on Dyes typically will rush to say any area in Detroit is safe but it's still helpful to hear first hand comments about particular areas and places (both in terms of safety and general livability).

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too read the WSU crime reports because my wife works there. I have to say they are useful, but also make people fear the area for little reason. I never read a crime report while attending UofM, but guess what, my apartment was ransacked there. The car thefts are definitely way too high from WSU parking structures, but other than that, I would be willing to bet the reports are similar to UofM or MSU. I hear what your saying though, and my point was that I felt the same way before moving here, but honestly I would take my dog for a jog to the river and back right now if it wasn't so f'ing cold.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8841
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So people generally would feel its safe to walk to downtown and back after dusk?

I do it all the time...all hours of the day and night. I can count on ONE hand the number of uneasy events I've encountered in three years.

We've had VERY little trouble at the FD Lofts on the north end of the strip in that time.

One fellow somewhat randomly smashing windows while ranting, "Screw the Italians"...that was the spree last summer...then another fine gent with a finely-developed taste for the lower shelves of liquor at Sala Thai, who basically taught them how to make ugly repairs to all of their window this year.

Very little issues, save that catalytic convertor, if that was Sam's that was stolen Mdoyle then it is a small world indeed. Great person who shouldn't suffer anything like that...

Nah, it is amazing. Eastern Market is the sleeper residential haven for working creatives as far as I'm concerned...I really love it here. Now to morph into a working creative...been all too much idling going on these past few years!

Cheers

The Lions fans are the MOST fun after they've given up on the season...last year a number of folks pooled their tailgating slots to make ONE huge area with a stage and a rock band and a food/drink zone...they know how to have a good time even IF their team is continually digging new depths in the outhouse.

Don't jog past them without looking for flying cans and insults, though! One fucking fat jerk is relentless...of course, my reminding of his obvious lack of exercise certainly didn't help after he hollered at me a few weeks in a row, but HE tossed the first beer can!

We might make it a new sport...they throw beer cans, I get to superglue their tires to the pavement when they are at the game. It is all good fun.

Thecarl

Post Number: 859
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sparty, are you a female?

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any lofts for sale in EM? Seems like everything is for rent only.

Gannon

Post Number: 14910
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The FD Lofts have to be rental for the first five years of occupation, due to the rules from the Federal Historic Tax credits taken by the owner.

They will be available for purchase in about two to two and a half years.

I am unaware of any lofts for sale in Eastern Market.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 886
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E&B brewery lofts apparently are for sale:

http://www.e-bbrewerylofts.com /index.html

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E & B brewery lofts have been for sale for at least 8 years.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know of a couple incidents of robberies at the train tracks North of Mack (which is actually not part of Eastern Market). On both occasions, it was someone stopped for the train (no other cars), very early/late (3 or 4 AM), in the Summer with their windows down. Someone on foot robbed them at gunpoint (one was for a wallet, the other a wallet and cell phone... only because the cell phone was visible).

One was male and one was female. They didn't see the offender.

Most of the crimes around Detroit (that I have seen/heard of) have been crimes of opportunity, set-ups/scams, or related to an illegal activity that the victim willingly partook in. Carry pepper spray while your jogging, be aware of your surroundings, NEVER (despite your beliefs on the matters) buy an illegal good/service or partake in any illegal activity in a city, and you should be fine.

Gannon

Post Number: 14916
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean,

I've got a problem with those reports.

Those tracks are not used for regular train traffic.

The scrap metal yard had one run of cars brought in to remove their metal mountain over the summertime, though. It must've been then.

What street were they on?

I've heard of nothing like that in Eastern Market at all...

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless you have secure parking, Don't move here. Any and all cars are broken into on a regular basis no matter if there is valuables inside or not. A friend lived on Winder Street and his car was broken into 4 times in two months.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4385
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll defer to the locals but I'd say that a downtown to EM walk in the evening is probably pretty safe. You're walking up Gratiot thru the edge of downtown, over the freeway, past an office park, and then into the market. Not much to it. Not really a "neighborhood" per se, just Lafayette Park on the other side of Gratiot, which is very safe.

If I was to move in to Detroit at the moment it would be Eastern Market. All that food and shopping...right there. Now that's a lifestyle. If it shuts down at night that's no big thing because downtown is so close. I kind of envy you EM residents.

Gannon

Post Number: 14918
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big_baby,

That is a quiet, dark street with faster access to Gratiot...I'm not fond of the Beer & Wine store parking lot at Gratiot and Chene, either.

On the other hand...at the NORTH end of the Market with the Firepeople coming and going across the street...I have too often left my car unlocked, or filled with tools/equipment; and at least a good half-dozen times came home to my garage/back door wide open from the wind because I forgot to lock it. Never a problem, perhaps I'm the luckiest guy in the city...or at least the Market.

I'm not sure of those who park on Russell, but in our back lot it has been very quiet. It helps that I keep such weird hours and am always looking out when I hear noises (which is why I was SO peeved about that cheap-liquor loving glass smasher at the Thai restaurant, who seems to have finally been caught).

I will stand by my statement, because ALL but one of my neighbors have had none of the trouble you mention at all...and I've been down here for three years!

Interesting difference between the north and the south end of the Market...I'm going to see Dan Carmody in another thirty minutes and have a talk with him about security patrols again.

Do you know if they run the street cleaners down at that end? Those fellas act as security, keeping their eyes open when they clear the streets...one night not long after I moved in...when I couldn't get to sleep in the wee hours, I was in Sala Thai's parking lot clearing the Lion's fans trash and some other stuff...and the street sweeper was VERY interested to see me.

Once he realized what I was doing, his demeanor changed quite a bit, so I know they keep an eye on the 'hood.

Sorry for your friend's losses...

Gannon

Post Number: 14919
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talked with Dan...there are things in the works.

They have targeted that area for special surveillance, and are on the way to installing a Market-wide wireless network system that will support wireless security cameras and the like.

He never ceases to amaze me with the stuff they have already considered and have in the works. With Dan Carmody at the helm, the Market is going from good to super-stellar.

They are planning on sinking geo-thermal wells for the heating of the indoor sheds...totally off-topic but as far as the direction the business end of the neighborhood is concerned...it is off-the-charts great.

Don't know what your budget is, Sparty, but the FD Lofts are some of the best living in the area. We've really got a tight neighborhood there, too.

Give Bob Heide a call at (313) 832-3000 and take a look. I think you'll be impressed. He's a great guy carring out an impressive vision.

Cheers

Suzieh1
Username: Suzieh1

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have just moved back to the area after living up north for 12 years. Right now I am staying with family, but am looking for my own place. Do you know approx how much the FD lofts are renting for? I am working in Royal Oak- but I am not sure which area to move to- always thought it would be fun to live in downtown Detroit. Thanks in advance for any info on these units or any others in EM

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gannon...

Do you hear what I hear, where a lot of the reports of issues are trumped up? I've talked to so many people where the first time the story is one way, and then another it's changed... and changed again...

Not saying crime doesn't happen, not at all; but I do think there's lots of urban legends going around. Bum hitting you up for change turns into being mugged; etc. because getting hit up for crime in Detroit is cool or expected; when I tell people about my lack of issues they seem surprised and don't believe me.

It's like some 'burbers want it to be dangerous; and some city dwellers I've found wear it almost as a sick badge of pride.

Thecarl

Post Number: 872
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

digitalvision, where do you find these story-tellers and disbelievers?

Digitalvision

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty frequently in the course of living, probably 2 or 3 times a month.

I'll be at the bar, and run into someone, or I'll be at work, and it'll be some sorta of cockeyed story when I SAW their car park, them get out, and get into the building with no issues and in fact, they had no harassment or issues and then they tell me someone hit them up outside for prostitution.

Or the time I met someone at C-Mart; I was sitting in the park (this was summer) and watching them park on Monroe, get out of their car, and get hit up by one of those toothpick-flag selling guys. It was a harmless interaction; well when they get to me they tell me that the guy tried to mug them and physically assaulted them; which I was watching, I saw that that DID NOT happen. If he calls getting asked for a dollar "being mugged," I wonder what he would call it if he actually did.

Sure, running into the neighborhood toothpick hustler may not be fun; but to say that he did something he did not do is bullshit.

So, yes, bad things DO happen. Real crime DOES occur.

But there's a BS level I've picked up over the last decade. Maybe it's because my first job downtown, all my coworkers told me to never eat downtown because I'll get hurt, and to drive to Ferndale or Dearborn if I wanted to go to lunch. I used to take the Jefferson (SMART/SEMTA or DDOT) home and a coworker would PRAY for me every night that I wouldn't be shot on the bus. When I moved into the city, my boss took me into his office and asked if I was OK.

So yes, I'm cynical. But maybe that's from being "on the front line" - or more aptly, "in the community and not trying to be a white knight on a horse trying to save people and actually coexisting with neighbors of all stripes."

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4393
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting take, DV. Seems to ring true with the way I view other people's views of Detroit.

Your co-workers sound like loons.

Nuclearxwinter
Username: Nuclearxwinter

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking to move by next month, and would like to move to eastern market. The only catch is that I am looking for something under 350 a month. If anyone knows of any studios or smaller spaces available for 350 or less, please let me know.

Gannon

Post Number: 14963
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nuclear,

Good luck, I'm not aware of anything in that range. I'll keep my eyes open for you, though.

The FD Lofts range from around nine hundred to fourteen, but the spaces are HUGE and amenities done right. Kitchens are well-appointed.

Not sure about the main building, but mine out back has been pure joy for three years...save for the heating bills, but I've found some creative ways to keep those down.

Cheers

Gannon

Post Number: 14964
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for DV's experiences, there ARE a huge number of people who simply exist in fear...so when these uninvited encounters happen, they most certainly FEEL amplified in their psyches.

Go easy on them, they are already on edge, and if you confront them on it, you reveal their weaknesses!

It is obviously merely a perception problem.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, Gannon - and you know me, I do go easy on them. You get way more with honey than vinegar.

No need to force them to real weaknesses that I already know ;-) and it's not constructive, productive or positive. Just reinforce the good things.

Gannon

Post Number: 14970
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And THEN hit them up for a quarter...heh!

Nuclearxwinter
Username: Nuclearxwinter

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I know. I wasn't really expecting that there would be anything in that area in that price range, but I thought that I would throw it out there just to see. You never know, hah. =). I have found some awfully cheap places to live just by asking around.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thing I was using a $5.67 cheapo keyboard to type here, because it's now covered in coffee. Thanks Gannon ;-)

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've walked in quite a few areas of the city and have explored quite a few neighborhoods. I've never had a bad experience. I know there are incidents, but I've not encountered any that I can recall.

I really think much of the bad 'experiences' are a lot of story-telling. People who like to act tough and tell a "war" story.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 204
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope there will be some open units for the FD lofts in June. I think my wife and I will be moving back to the D for at least the next four years. The price range and Gannon's description sound just like what we're looking for.

(Message edited by buzzman0077 on December 20, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 14971
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nuclear,

Please understand, that doesn't mean those don't exist...I'm just not aware of them.

Even when I looked at the Milwaukee lofts near Grand Boulevard and I-75 I went immediately to their largest units, I've got tonnage of crap that I believe I need to hold onto.

I'm being healed of that behavior, quickly.

Digital,

Glad to be of service.

Cheers, as often as possible.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.