Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Newspapers Stopping Daily Deliveries? » Archive through December 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a group, you guys are pretty knowledgeable. Has anyone heard anything about the News and Freep stopping daily home delivery? Maybe going to Internet-only and making some huge cuts.

I don't know anything, but there is some chatter online elsewhere about it.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack Lessenberry has been pushing this. The difference is that this week he got Paul Anger on the phone, and Anger issued a non-denial, saying they were looking at all options. The idea is they would deliver Thursday, Sunday, and one other day.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 919
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read about it in the MetroTimes today (print version!). Here's the web sites for the electronic "print" versions of the paper.

http://digitalfreepress.com/

http://www.edetroitnews.com/

and MetroTimes coverage:

http://metrotimes.com/news/sto ry.asp?id=13521

http://metrotimes.com/news/sto ry.asp?id=13518
[at end of Lessenberry's column]

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what the impact on literacy will be? Newspapers are such great tools for parents to model reading to their kids. I know they were a huge part of my learning to read. My parents pored over the Free Press every morning. I adopted that habit from them at a very early age. It's just not the same on a computer.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 470
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sure is a poor substitute, especially if one doesn't have a computer, or internet access. If the economy goes further down the tubes, I can't imagine many will be able to afford either.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3162
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm selective now on when I buy the Freep,(four days a week), but I would not read them on line as offered currently.

I need sections of the paper next to me in an easy chair to read at my discretion. Sitting at a desk and keyboard does not do it for me as far as news.

Now, an E-ink option that is in the same price range, could be an attractive alternative.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3146
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Currently we have 3 newspapers delivered to the house each day. I grew up with both Freep and News delivered, so I continue that family tradition, plus have the Daily Tribune delivered. The Trib just cut back to 4 days, and I already miss not having the Trib on Monday and Tuesday!!

I just cannot imagine not having the daily newspaper in my hands. And I can't imagine reading my news online. I would miss so many interesting articles and little news items. If such a transition comes, online newspapers will have to come up with some way to make sure that readers can experience all the news to the extent that each individual desires. The current online editions don't cut it!

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't read online version sitting in my bathroom...

News950
Username: News950

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure you can--just subscribe!

http://www.wwj.com/News--Freep -Poised-For-Big-Changes-/34766 32

Username: 1953

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What will I read at lunch, to take a break from reading online news?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get daily deliveries of both the Macomb Daily and the Freep and read both daily. It would be a shame to cut down on daily delivery at least for me.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953, rumor mill is about home delivery, there's no talk of stopping newsstand sales -- you could still buy print paper at lunch.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plan appears to be printing the paper each day, and selling it in the usual boxes, party stores, gas stations and other locations.
But home delivery would continue only on Sunday, Thursday and maybe Friday, big ad-revenue days.
The Freep is going where no major daily has gone before. I hope they know what they're doing.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like a bad idea to me. I currently subscribe to the Freep 7 days a week, if they cut back to 3 days a week, I'll cancel my subscription and just read the online versions for free instead.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see this impacting literacy at all, HF. There aren't many people using them currently as evident by declining subscriptions and talk of these drastic measures. People will just need to use different tools to help teach their kids. Certainly newspapers are convenient but not necessary. I wonder, would you be able to download each daily paper to an e-book reader?

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary, I totally agree with you, this just doesn't make cents (sense). There won't be a free online subscription. They want you to subscribe for it for $11.50 a month. I don't want to loose my morning Freep. Gencinjay, No offense, but I totally disagree with you. Our children use both the News and Freep quite often in their schools for various assignments. The N.I.E's (Newspapers in Education) that are sent to our school are also very useful. Granted, the Internet has changed the way we think, spend our spare time, buy and exchanges opinions just like this etc, but I just can't concede my newspaper. Detroit Media Partnership, please go back to the drawing board. I don't know what the anwser is..bring back Contact 10 or Action Line. Resurrect Bob Talbert.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mean to imply that they aren't useful. What I mean is that the parents/teachers that are using them will just find different tools to do the job as far as literacy is concerned. Now current events knowledge and understanding is a very different story and could definitely take a hit with this.

Then again, the news is still there. It's just taking on a different form. It may not be quite as easy to use in this form but it will be there and be slightly cheaper. The only problem I see from a family standpoint are for those that are too poor to afford a computer with internet connection.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5781
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People who are too poor to afford a computer with internet connection are of no interest to anybody in corporate America. I might care, you might care, but they are less than nothing where those weasels are concerned.

Servite, you might notice that Detroit Media Partnership doesn't have the word newspaper in their name. There's a reason for that.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 924
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People who are too poor to afford a computer with internet connection are of no interest to anybody in corporate America. I might care, you might care, but they are less than nothing where those weasels are concerned.
______________________________ ____________________

All too true ORF. You see the same with banks making you pay to see a live teller, and utillities and credit card companies trying to force you to do everything online.

Don't get me wrong, I like the convinience, but there are many who can't afford a computer or the internet.

I recently had a friend who lost their job and had to cancel their DSL. They talk about how hard it is to search classifieds, but just try to find much in the newspaper these days. Not to mention, who sends resumes through the mail anymore?anymore

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 768
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hate to say it But I think I mailed my last payment to the DMP.I don,t read 50% of it, The ads are for stores I don,t go to. And if I,M reading it online why bother with the recycling.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 359
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately newspapers are becoming the antique mode of news gathering. When they print the thing it's current as of the 2am printing schedule or at least thats the way it is down here.

I will not pay to read a newspaper online. There are too many other free news sources. Our papers are thinking about this down here. Maybe it's just me but why should I pay to read a newspaper while paying for the internet service just for people to try and advertise something to me. If I can't have a newspaper to read in the bathroom, then use the old paper for other functions (fireplace, etc) I'll do without.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed that I know my subscription is up in December sometime and I have not recieved my notice of renewal of subscription. Have a feeling I know why.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really, really, really hope they know what they're doing. I have the sinking feeling that they do not.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5034
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to a guy up here that is a route delivery driver and he said they will know next Tuesday if they are cutting deliveries or not. There is talk of having Thurs, Fri, Sunday delivery or else just cutting Mon/Tues.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, those are the rumors. The layoffs - after the 1,000 or so jobs shed via buyouts in the last year - are just as scary. And it's a union shop, so the best and brightest aren't safe. That's the disadvantage of a union, of course.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5785
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, fuck those people who have been with the company for years, who worked hard to make it successful. We need newspapers run by recent Jschool grads. To hell with institutional memory, screw knowledge of the area!

Isn't that how we got here?

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not so sure that this couldn't be a good idea. From an environmental standpoint, it's a travesty to print millions of papers a day. From a technology standpoint, it presents an opportunity for innovation on how we receive the news. Has anyone seen Minority Report? The people in the subway had electronic papers that updated as the news updated. This would require a huge capital expenditure, but if they partnered with Google or Microsoft, subcribers could still pay a monthly fee and get the quality we are used to from our local writers.

Here, check this on-line magazine out for a great example of how a digital version could be identical to a print version. And print versions would still be available at your local newsstand (ooops, i forgot, no one is willing to walk to their local grocer anymore when we can all drive 10 miles to spend all our money in China, sorry,had to get that dig in).

http://digimag.rrd.com/Spiderw eb/EcoStructure/200810/digimag .asp?userEmail=&passCode=&GUID =&userType=&PageTitle=RR%20Don nelley%20DigiMag%20Solution

There is no reason to say that a small poratble screen couldn't be offered as part of the subscription service. I can't find any exciting new technology that would support it yet, but like i said, there is opportunity here.

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will no longer read the News or Free Press if they do this.

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, who wants to start a newspaper that has home delivery and focuses on metro Detroit?

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 284
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "And print versions would still be available at your local newsstand (ooops, i forgot, no one is willing to walk to their local grocer anymore when we can all drive 10 miles to spend all our money in China, sorry,had to get that dig in). "

Why the hell would I want to walk to my "local newsstand" on a cold December morning in the dark to get a paper that was being delivered to my home just fine? Do I really want to hop out of bed and go for a walk first thing, when morning time is limited for those of us who work?