Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Art Blackwell « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Marianewtothed
Username: Marianewtothed

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed to work for $1.00 per year amid the Highland Park financial crisis; was paid $132K per year...

Who woulda thought...

<http://www.clickondetroit.com/ tu/5d75zd2qq.html>

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 466
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I woulda thought...the guy is a crook. This is from the Metro Times in 2005 (granted, it's Jack Lessenberry's column, but you get the drift):

quote:

The Detroit News, which I agree with editorially about once per papacy, called him “a nickel-grasping bottom feeder.” That was too kind. In a world where Lonnie Bates was the pinnacle of integrity, Art Blackwell would be suspect.

Forget the fact that his father, ex-Mayor Bob Blackwell, famous for having his jaws wired shut and sometimes running the city from a strip bar called the Tender Trap, did more than anyone else to ruin Highland Park.

Forget the fact that Alibi Art abandoned Highland Park to run for mayor of Detroit a dozen years ago, losing badly in the primary despite tacit support from Coleman Young.

This is a man who hid consulting fees, used leftover campaign funds to build a deck on his home, and couldn’t explain $27,000 in “travel expenses” back during his days as chairman of the Port Authority.

This is a man who once had a $42,000-a-year mayoral appointment with the Detroit Fire Department, but seldom showed up for work.

This is a man, in short, whose appointment to handle Highland Park’s finances makes as much sense as appointing a child molester to run kindergarten sleepovers.

http://metrotimes.com/editoria l/story.asp?id=7500

He was one of Kwame's biggest apologists, so it wouldn't surpise me if he was involved in Kwame's corruption somehow.

I wanted to go to Arturo's Jazz Theatre in Southfield, until I realized Arturo = Art Blackwell. I won't give that man a penny of my money.

Marianewtothed
Username: Marianewtothed

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree DT Lady..A friend wanted to have a pre-class reunion at Arturo's and called to check out the menu prices, fees to reserve a few tables, etc. He had the nerve to tell her...well you know what they say, if you gotta ask, then...

Granted, there are some notables that have performed at his venue. But I too cannot see myself patronizing his business...

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 467
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He had the nerve to tell her...well you know what they say, if you gotta ask, then...

Wow! So he's a crook and he's rude. And apparently not too bright -- doesn't he realize that smart party planning (including a reunion) involves comparing costs and working within a set budget?

Maybe we'll have to have a forum meet-up at Baker's Keyboard Lounge -- and bring your friend that he was so rude to. :-)

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, I worked for Art at Arturo's right after Hamadu got blown out. The guy still owes me (and Hamadu) wages, he's bounced liquor checks to the state LCC and the employees there have to beg for cash from Mo Blackwell to cover the worthless payroll cheques. The company who gives you free waffle makers, if you buy the dry mix from them; actually came into one of Art's Sunday Brunches and re-poed the waffle makers! If you want a good laugh, ask one of the linen suppliers about Arturo's and how fast they pay their bills. Hell, ask any food vendor in town, when Art asked me to get him those nice 2lb lobster tails, every fish place in Detroit laughed at me and hung the phone up when I told them who it was for.

Nickle grubbing bottom feeder is an insult to bottom feeders everywhere. Art's lower than a worm's fart. Very few people remember his offer to work for a buck, and then gladly accepting the 136,000 other bucks as a 'bonus' back then. I'd totally forgotten about Old Daddy Dearest too, what a piece of work Bob was.

While I was there, Dave Bing came in and had a table with Christine Beatty, right after Kwame had plead and CB was trying to spin a deal. As a result, I say fawk Bing if that's who he hangs out with, Imma gonna vote for Shrek. Art is bestest buddies with Bernard Kilpatrick, and his son Mo (currently a Wayne Co Commissioner) is another KK apologist.

The whole family is yet another bunch of jerkoff career politicos who are intent on sucking the public tit dry. Don't bother boycotting this leech's crappy restaurant, it's imploding all by itself.

Jackie5275
Username: Jackie5275

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard he had a big party at his house & the deck collapsed from the number of people on it.

Originalg313
Username: Originalg313

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading Detroitchef's post, I find it very interesting Art can afford to pay the performers. Callers into his radio show on WGPR gave him some heat about opening his "jazz theatre" in Southfield. Especially, since he claims he's a big supporter of Detroit.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 853
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from michigan.gov's archive:

quote:

The Local Emergency Financial Assistance Loan Board (ELB) today appointed Arthur Blackwell II as Emergency Financial Manager in Highland Park. Blackwell will replace Ramona Henderson Pearson, who has been Emergency Financial Manager there since June of 2001. "I would like to thank Ramona Henderson Pearson for the difficult job she has faced for the last four years," said State Treasurer Jay B. Rising, Chair of the Emergency Loan Board. "Ramona took the steps necessary to manage the city's financial crisis. However, the board believes Highland Park must now focus its attention on economic development and growing its tax and revenue base."

In announcing Blackwell's appointment, which will take effect when his contract is finalized, Treasurer Rising also expressed appreciation for his willingness to serve his hometown. "Art Blackwell is accepting this appointment out of the love and concern he has for Highland Park," said Treasurer Rising. "The board expects his extensive experience, in the government and business sectors, to play an important role in attracting new business opportunities to Highland Park while continuing to work toward resolution of the city's financial crisis."

Blackwell, who previously served the residents of Wayne County as a member of the Board of Commissioners (1987 to 1994), currently sits on the Detroit Board of Police Commissioners, and is President and CEO of the DeWay Development Corporation.

As compensation for his role as Emergency Financial Manager, Mr. Blackwell has generously requested an annual salary of $1.

ms. henderson went about busting the unions' balls and getting hp's finances in line. but once granholm took office, she had to send a signal that she was pro-union, despite henderson's progress.

okay, jenny, show the unions your love despite the economic perils facing the state...but art blackwell? when i heard of that appointment, i was - well, - "blown away."

her appeals to the unions and disenfranchised

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park has been run by gangsters for sooo long. And, worse yet, incompetent gangsters.

Why in the world would anyone ever give a Blackwell something to run again?

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitchef -- WOW!

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Lady.
What can I say, mess with my money and I get all cranky. ;)

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I didn't think you were cranky! The "wow" was directed at how trifling Art Blackwell is and how horrible he is at running a business. You have some good stories!

:-)

Originalg313
Username: Originalg313

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Blackwell, first black Republican mayor, dies"

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081217/NEWS02/81217042

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2173
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to me that the American Legion owned the Tender Trap near Victor and Woodward, and because it was a private club they could get away with the topless dancing thing.

IIRC topless dancing was against city ordiance back in the 1970's ... pretty foggy on this so don't roast me if I'm wrong, but that's how I remember it.

Blackwells ... crooks to the core.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised to find out that Bob Blackwell was still alive.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! His father dies right when the media might go after Blackwell and rake him through the coals. However, now he can avoid media scrutiny for his six figure salary by spending months in mourning over the death of his father.

Post #2847

(Message edited by royce on December 18, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.