Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Newspapers Stopping Daily Deliveries? » Archive through December 16, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this mean I won't be awakened every morning at 5:00 AM by the thumping base from the delivery boy's gangster ride? Good riddence!

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got through watching part of the NBC Nightly News, and near the end of the broadcast, they had a report on people who volunteer their time to read their city's daily newspaper over the air in an old radio broadcasting building, for the blind. I don't know in what city it was, or who is paying for the radio time, as I was reading a Detroit Yes thread on my laptop and really wasn't paying complete attention to the report at first. What a great idea, and how unselfish and thoughtful of these people to do that. The blind people that they interviewed said that they really appreciated and looked forward to the newspaper reading broadcasts each day.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on December 12, 2008)

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just answered a knock at the door and took a complimentary copy (actually, it hasn't said much yet) of the Freep. The young lady was trying to sell a subscription, I thanked her and sent her on her way without getting the details.

The irony is that I was reading the A.P news on line when she knocked, and it negated the "NO DEAL' headline in second coming text size.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 945
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I will not pay to read a newspaper online. There are too many other free news sources."

How long is that going to last when the Internet becomes the primary or only source of revenue? Online ads haven't generated the revenue stream to support the newspapers. If they start charging for content, how much of the "free" stuff will no longer be free?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2884
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What, me worry?
The goddam Free Press was NEVER able to consistently get the paper to my door by 6:30 A.M., anyway, so I cancelled.
I suppose the print edition will entirely disappear, before long.
I'll have such a nice, relaxing time, doing the crossword onfuckingline.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yeah, fuck those people who have been with the company for years, who worked hard to make it successful. We need newspapers run by recent Jschool grads. To hell with institutional memory, screw knowledge of the area!

Isn't that how we got here?"

Trust me 'red, in journalism, just because you've been there longer doesn't mean you're better. There is a LOT of dead wood at both papers. I'm not saying all the young bucks are better than the veterans. But I'm saying survival of the fittest - not the cheapest, but the best - would help the morale, the workers and most importantly the readers by giving them the best journalism for their money.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 769
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my Dad does get wind of this he,ll be pissed or my Mom will get to get a computer.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 83
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My spouse who lost his auto industry related job, and has been out of work for some time, finally got a job delivering the newspaper. He isnt making as much money as he was at his engineering job but more than he was on unemployment. With the newspaper route we have been able to continue to make the house payment.

Now what happens to us I really don't know......

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus, Paczki, when it rains shit, it pours. I'm so sorry.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5792
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trust me 'hawk, just cause you're new doesn't mean you're better, it just means you're cheaper. Also, the papers don't give a rats ass about quality, they want you to work for less.

Very sorry Paczki. The new world has no time for people who depend on their paycheck to live.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ business/columnists/chi-sun-ph il-rosenthal-14dec14,0,6871291 .column

"Either it tears up the track, or it makes for a spectacular crash test."

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on December 14, 2008)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 963
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm voting for spectacular crash. I was about to renew my subscription. I won't be sending that check in now. I do read the papers online, maybe more than the print edition. But I want the print edition, as meager as it has gotten as of late, 7 days a week, not 3.

Reddog289

Post Number: 775
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can remember once opon a time when most of the block would get at least one of the two papers. Delivering the Freep was one of my first jobs.I was a little guy cause I only had one route, one of my friends had I belive five at the time.That was in the early 80,s and I belive that is when more adults started to deliver the paper. I did see my carriers truck yesterday morning and thought about what she is going do?.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog-That was the first job any of us had where I grew up. My friend had a Det News afternoon delivery route back in '82. I still remember it was 1.40 a week for 7 day delivery. The news just had a afternoon edition. Not may kids did AM delivery of the free press. Every Saturday we would go door to door with our log book and collect. What is the price for 7 days now?

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't get a paper this morning...Did they start already, or are carriers quiting? It may not be worth it for them 3 days a week. Wear and tear and gas. No tips etc.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 464
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither did we. I'll give it anothe day, then ?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5794
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call your distribution center and ask them.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"I just got through watching part of the NBC Nightly News, and near the end of the broadcast, they had a report on people who volunteer their time to read their city's daily newspaper over the air in an old radio broadcasting building, for the blind. I don't know in what city it was, or who is paying for the radio time, as I was reading a Detroit Yes thread on my laptop and really wasn't paying complete attention to the report at first. What a great idea, and how unselfish and thoughtful of these people to do that. The blind people that they interviewed said that they really appreciated and looked forward to the newspaper reading broadcasts each day. "

I did this for years at WDET on their subcarrier DRIS.
Became more difficult when the paper cut down content, especially when the TV listings (we read those too) became thimble size.

www.dris.org

Hopefully they can either read from online or the daily will continue in some form (even if not home delivered).

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 275
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The industry-wide shrinkage or perhaps death spiral is visible everywhere, seemingly . . . in cities large and small, in the Midwest and New England.

NYTimes, itself not immune, reports poignantly today on An Imperiled Newspaper's Threads in a Small City's Fabric. Columnnist Dan Barry visits Bristol, Conn., where . . .
quote:

. . . in the 1980s its local owners sold The Press to an out-of-town conglomerate. . . . Immediately, something was lost; the local newspaper became a card in a high-stakes game played far from the hills of Bristol. . . .

Last month the newspaper’s financially troubled owner, the Journal Register Company, announced that The Bristol Press and a sister newspaper, The New Britain Herald, would cease to publish if not sold — cheaply, by the way — by mid-January.

In a reflection that applies here as well, The Press' veteran editor says:
quote:

“It’s a personal relationship. Whether they hate the paper or love the paper, it’s their newspaper.”

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More, regrettably, in this week's New Yorker mag. From an essay, News You Can Lose by James Surowiecki:
quote:

It would not be shocking if, sometime soon, there were big American cities that had no local newspaper; more important, we’re almost sure to see a sharp decline in the volume and variety of content that newspapers collectively produce.

For a while now, readers have had the best of both worlds: all the benefits of the old, high-profit regime—intensive reporting, experienced editors, and so on—and the low costs of the new one. But that situation can’t last.

Soon enough, we’re going to start getting what we pay for, and we may find out just how little that is.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 589
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We lost our home delivery of the News up here in the thumb a couple of months ago. They delivered the paper by US mail, believe it or not, Monday throught Saturday. We had to make a 20 mile round trip drive to get the Sunday paper. The paper we got in the mail in the late aftenoon was marked as that day's paper but God knows when it was printed. The 11/5 paper we got at 2:30 pm on the 5th had a headline reading "Obama ahead in Michigan". We cancelled. Now read it on line but that sucks.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn, they were printed on the same day just at different times and certain sections would be omitted.

quote:

Trust me 'hawk, just cause you're new doesn't mean you're better, it just means you're cheaper. Also, the papers don't give a rats ass about quality, they want you to work for less.

They can't pay you if people don't buy the paper. I don't see any sympathy for the paperboys and girls, men and women in some cases, who will be without a job.

I get both papers delivered and now will probably move to a national paper to fill the void. I do not and will not read the paper on the internet.

Just another peg out from under a region who thinks they are relevant in the grand scheme of things. First no bank, now no papers.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Realitycheck's post: Free ain't gonna get you the caliber reporters and editors who brought down Kwame Kilpatrick. Without the Free Press, Kilpatrick would still be in office, not in a jail cell.

Eastburn, you got the first edition, which goes to the plant about 9 p.m. Your headline said "Obama ahead in Michigan" because the state had not been called by the first edition deadline. The people in the U.P. get the same edition.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason to keep the home circulation at all is for the advertising circulars. Thursday and Sunday are the big days for them. Friday still has some as well. The advertisers still want the circulars to be physically delivered.......If not by carrier, it will be by third class mail (like the Meijer/Rite Aid ad if you do not get a paper)

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband worked his route last night and is scheduled for tonight so daily delivery continues for now.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 329
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Realitycheck, thanks for posting that New Yorker essay. It's one of the few overviews I've seen that makes any sense. It's downbeat, but it does suggest some new ideas, like reader donations. I don't think the Free Press has been worth fifty cents a day lately, but if they put a PayPal button that asked me to throw in a dollar a week, I would do it, and so would a lot of other people.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5796
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It won't matter. It's a done deal, we'll find out the details tomorrow morning. No matter what you say or want, it's over.

Reddog289

Post Number: 779
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fUNNY? thing while checking my E-mail I got a thank you from the Freep for reuping my sub , I don,t see alot of them being sent to me in 2009.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a possibility that they may start charging for the online version. I know that The Macomb Daily does already. I would imagine that they will raise the box cost to either .75 or $1.00 for a daily and to $2.00 for the Sunday. U.S.A. Today raised their price to $1.00 on December 8 and The Oakland Press has raised their price to .75 single copy only. This hasn't effected home delivery....as yet. Today is the day for the big announcement so we will see. I have been working seven days. Hopefully this means that I will get a couple of days off a week.

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on December 16, 2008)

News950
Username: News950

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9 percent staff cuts done by first quarter of 2009--but no layoffs if they can help it.