Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Winter Blast downsized « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't seen this discussed . . . it's been on WWJ all day, with a positive spin saying how remarkable it is that we're able to put it on in this disastrous economy.

http://www.wwj.com/Smaller-Win ter-Blast-Planned/3510302

No snow slide, no sled dogs, no snowshoeing. Ice skating, plus there will be three music stages and family events.

What do you think? Certainly better than throwing in the towel would be my opinion.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 454
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't know, I'm kinda tired of the music/food festivals. we have enough of those. I'd rather see the dog sledding and snow slide.
i might say scrap it, no much identity left to it. Ice sculptures are good though.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why doesn't Chrysler just sponsor this thing?

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 489
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure. You may as well ask Packard and Hudson to sponsor too. Maybe even Studebaker!

But really, I hope that someday soon the 3 will be in a more viable position to sponsor events again.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 953
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather see this scaled down version than none at all.

I gives folks another reason to come down and enjoy winter in the D.

Still, I'll miss the dogs...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3743
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, how about we just don't have a winter blast at all? :-)

They basically took all the soul out of it.

It's like having a fireworks shows without the fireworks.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2852
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we have the Montreal Canadians skate in the Joe Louis ?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 959
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Already happened at the start of the season.

How about an outdoor game at the Copa vs the Wings next year to cap off the fest?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only reason we go is for the snow slide. :-(

I guess it's true that when it rains, it pours.

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on December 17, 2008)

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 625
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Festival brings in much needed people and visitors to downtown restaurants, Parking Garages and such!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 665
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they bring back the winter blast bar crawl, and continue the dine in the D program. I've been to every winter blast except for the first one (out of town), and look forward to it every year.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't we call it Depression Blast, complete with bread lines and a union busting reinactment.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 968
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think something is better than nothing! We'll already be downtown for Sesame Street at the Fox on the 6th, it will be nice to shoot over to Winterblast after

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2934
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they cancelled all of that stuff then what is the point of going?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 973
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The music, ice sculptures, food and people watching in general is still great.
As for the slide, I've been to every Winterblast and never rode the slide. I'm sure it's fun, but I can live without it. I did like the sled dogs, but I'll take what free Winterblast fun I can get

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.