Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Where were you? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 884
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was everyone when you were lambasting me?
Where were the columnists when the handwriting was on the wall?
Why did it take this economic disaster for some idiots to finally realize what I've been saying all along...when you get hit in the pocketbook you'll finally get the picture!

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081218/COL10/812180487/1081

Buying American should have been a given!

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!
OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN.

Now, it may be too late for us all. God have mercy on the U.S., we'll need it to keep our heads above water if the American auto industry goes by the wayside.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAT YOU LOAN DRIVES AMERICA!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE USED FOREIGN CAR I OWN KEEPS MY LOCAL MECHANIC IN BUSINESS

Rja2
Username: Rja2

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES! Buy American, even if that's not what you really want. Don't worry about supporting all the people that work for "foreign" dealers and repair shops (salespeople, mechanics, administrative people, etc)! They don't count!

Don't worry about supporting dock workers and all people that transport "foreign" cars - they don't count!

Don't worry about whether or not auto workers support your industry - they are the only ones that count. You need to support all of them unconditionally.

Buy a Pontiac G8!... No, wait, don't buy that, it's not made in America - GM buys that from Holden in Australia. Wait, they're not abiding by the rules! People in Australia don't have slanty eyes though, so we don't have to discriminate against them. Ok, it's all good!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14925
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever you do, hate those who don't agree with you.

That seems always the best option, it makes for much better misunderstandings when you encounter anyone who doesn't look just like you.

Buy, whatever, man. We've gone through this. If I bought today, it would be a diesel-engined something.

It would have to be a car, probably a station wagon, and I'd like all-wheel drive.

I want a functioning sunroof, but will insist on a mechanical one this time around.

If I can avoid all the electronic gadgetry...ALL technology not necessary to the actual DRIVING of the machine (not piloting, I don't need no stinkin' GPS nagging me) then I'd be happy.

I don't want air bags.

I don't need ABS.

I sure as heck don't ever want an automatic transmission.

I think this can be done for well under $20k at retail...but I'd stretch my budget for the right vehicle...if it were designed for longer than 120,000 miles before the scrap heap.

What do the locals have for me?

Thought so. Not a damn thing.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 728
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, name the car that has all those features, or non-features?

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 476
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I was right!! See? See? I was right!"

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone tell me why we can shoot a missle from 400+ miles away, around mountains, into a house, down to the 2nd basement and blow up, but we can't make a nice DVD player? Want to save the car makers, get rid of NAFTA.

Otter

Post Number: 477
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

Hand-crank sunroofs haven't been around in 20 years or so. But they can break too when the cables wear out, stretch and break.

early- to mid-80s Mercedes diesel wagon is about the only thing that fits most of your bill, but they're auto-only. 1986 300E (gas) wagon with a manual but good luck actually finding one. Or an old Subaru wagon.

yer picky! :-)

O.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gannon why no automatic?

besides my first car 8 years ago, i've only ever driven an automatic. so much more fun, so much more control! better in the snow, too (if you know how to work it). i doubt i'll ever drive a manual again.

ps - i plan on coming to visit at ephs again very soon! i gotta get me some corned beef :-)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9061
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i've only ever driven an automatic. so much more fun, so much more control! better in the snow, too (if you know how to work it).

Nonsense, if you KNOW how to work it, a manual offers far more control AND is better in the snow.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 619
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, dude, sounds like you want this.

jeep

Generally low on the electronic gadget scale, usually even no power windows, and how much bigger of a mechanical sunroof can you find?

Only issue is diesel is not an option, and I believe all manufacturers are required to have air-bags. So unless you're buying a 25 year old VW Rabbit, your're going to have a tough time finding a vehicle w/ everything on your check-list.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 444
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the spirit of the season, I agree with you, Buyamerican. The automotive industry fed, clothed and housed me and my husband in our respective childhood households.

If I had a regular income, I like Chrysler styling. Is Chrysler still USA?

My one time only request was for a Dodge 300SE. My husband bought it and I have to say, I had a love affair with that car. Got stolen and trashed. Oh well!

I shop and buy local, problem is too much stuff including food is imported. Looking for solutions to spurr our economy in our small way. Give me ideas/solutions please.

Buying a car, is out of our range. Currently, we drive a 1997 Ford. Low mileage, but after two hit and runs, it does not look sweet. It still runs well though. Buy American!

Have a good holiday season!

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 258
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't owned a car in over 12 years, I might consider buying one if I could plug it in.

Gannon

Post Number: 14926
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yanno, Rrl, you might be onto something.

Keep our Toledo neighbors employed.

I don't know why I've avoided Jeep all these years.

I guess the handling, braking, and ride quality I've grown accustomed to with my VW and Audi lifetime spoiling might have something to do with that...but rather than lusting after old German cars this is a very viable option. (thanks Otter, you nailed it with that Mercedes, although in my fantasy world I'd try importing one with a manual trans!)

I'll take compromise if it means I will find replacement parts if trade breaks down across the big ponds.

Ruxy...heh you stole my lines! But please tell me you've got it backwards...because you have both more control and performance with the manuals in most situations, and the repair costs are WAY different! I never learned to drive an automatic, anyways...I think it is more like riding than driving!

Even with agressive driving and downshifting, I've usually gotten 100k miles out of a clutchplate and bearing. The downshifting helps get almost that much out of brakes, too!

Same with ABS, btw, I'd forgo the minor benefits during crises for WAY lower repair costs. If a sensor fails, the system is for shit...when your brake linings get thin it misbehaves, too.

Most of this technology padded into our modern vehicles seems to only work for the original owner within the first 40k or so miles!

(there'll be a party Saturday night, Ruxy, if you have a moment to drop in on us at the deli! Thanks, I was starting to wonder if I chased you away somehow!)

Gannon

Post Number: 14927
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH, the Liberty had a diesel...but they discontinued it, right? That's what they call that cute little one with the round tail-lights, right?!

So I search for a used one of those...great looking vehicle.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 885
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evander, my "one-note" as you so eloquently put it has been my mantra. Are you so small minded that you can't see the forest for the trees?

Hopefully, posters on here who insist on lame justifications, ie, foreign mechanic, dockworker who unload foreign autos, repair shops for foreign autos, won't be hurt too bad by the frailing economy. Believe this, it's not me that I am so worried about, it's our children and grandchildren. We are leaving them a legacy that will take years and years to correct. I remember my grandparents talking about the Great Depression...well history is repeating itself and God help us all.

I do know this...the City of Detroit, (isn't this the City that you named this forum after?) has a vested interest in AMERICAN automobiles, not foreign. $60 million from Chrysler in taxes alone. If Chrysler goes down, Detroit is doomed, Michigan is doomed and the U.S. is doomed. I sure don't see any future industry to take over, do you? If you think City services are bad now, just wait. City of Detroit employees, and retirees will suffer. It's not just my saying this, it's everywhere....pick up the newspaper...oh, I forgot, the Freep and News will be downsizing because of the economy.

If the economy gets really bad, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and all the others will leave the States. With no auto industry here, we are left totally vunerable.

www.levelfieldinstitute.org is where the slogan originated, I wish I had thought of it myself because I truly believe in it.

Some of you have been very rude. I am an American and very proud of the fact. If you don't like what I say, don't read my posts.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 474
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Want to save the car makers, get rid of NAFTA.

Dennis Kucinich has been saying this for years.

Mustangford
Username: Mustangford

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a 1985 Mercury Topaz that fit what he wanted exactly, right down to the 4 Cyl Diesel,
This car ran to 250K Miles was still getting 60 Miles to the Gallon. Bring back the Diesel!

Gannon

Post Number: 14930
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa.

F-n-A, Mustangford, I never knew of that one.

Killer-cool, and welcome to the board.

Otter

Post Number: 478
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

How about that finest of 80s 4wd wagons, the AMC Eagle? :-) No diesel, and auto-only but it was the only 4wd American car (not truck-based) around for ages. Get one and join the AMC club and see everyone else's orphan. I went to their national gathering some years back in some forgotten town near Detroit with a friend who came up from GA for it and it was something to see. Especially things like the Gremlin with the bass-boat metallic paint, or the showroom-fresh one-owner '68 Ambassador.

Ruxy17

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh man i mixed it up. I DEFINITELY meant manuals are WAY better than automatics.

I will always drive a stick.

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why the diesel fetish? Diesel, not gasoline, is what's driving the demand for foreign crude up.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9066
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

oh man i mixed it up. I DEFINITELY meant manuals are WAY better than automatics.

I will always drive a stick.

Aha, now it makes sense.

Actually, stop-and-go commuting has put me back in an automatic. In any other situation I'd prefer the stick, but "any other situation" makes up about 5% of the time right now.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 613
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican, I completely agree. However, I think the Big3 would be facing tough times even if no foreign autos were sold in the states. The problem we are facing is that people are not buying cars period, foreign or domestic.

But I wholeheartedly agree that we as Americans (myself included) have to seriously consider if we can survive as a nation if we continue to favor foreign goods over domestic and watch industry after industry leave our country.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 967
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannonmobile?

Ruxy17

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree, johnlodge. the one time that manuals suck is when you're stuck in traffic. it is infuriating.

my friends and i used to cruise woodward in two cars on walkie talkies (this was before everyone and their brother had a cell phone) and we would wait for a red light where there were no cars. we'd stop two lanes apart, with one empty lane in between us and wait for a car to pull up between us. just as they were coming to a stop we'd both shift into neutral at the same time and roll backwards. The driver between us would freak out and slam on their breaks. we thought we were pretty funny.

probably not the nicest or smartest thing to do. but hey, we were seventeen. and clearly pretty bored.

Gannon

Post Number: 14936
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have to work on a suspension for that beast, but it could double as a sod setter.

Right now, the diesel is the only commercially available engine easily converted to non-petroleum based fuels.

Plus, they tend to last forever and ever.

And the price difference at the pump is OBVIOUSLY designed to sell the sheople OFF of them. That sort of manipulative game makes me all passive-aggressive like...there is almost NO way I'd consider anything else!

UNLESS I find that mint 60s-era VW Microbus Westphalia owned by an old hippie in the middle of the desert who only drove it into town once a month for his supplies. They are geared for some LOW horsepower and can be adapted to home-made engines quite easily.

Ruxy,
Yeah, you certainly didn't seem shiftless when we met...heh.

Cheers!

Ruxy17

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gannon, you didn't scare me off!

i've had finals the past few weeks so i've done nothing but study study study and write write write.

but i'm done! hurray! time to celebrate with this schlitz i've been hearing things about...

(Message edited by ruxy17 on December 18, 2008)

Haikoont

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And the price difference at the pump is OBVIOUSLY designed to sell the sheople OFF of them.

Whatever you do, use lame derogatory terms to mock those who aren't enlightened as you.

That seems always the best option, it makes for much better misunderstandings when you encounter anyone who doesn't think diesel is a good solution.

Brienne
Username: Brienne

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's important to mention buying American products in industries reaching further than the automotive industry. Take notice of the "made in..." tag on your clothes, shoes, sunglasses, shower curtain, even your underwear, for goodness sake! I would wager that upwards of 75% of our belongings are made outside the US. Buying American-made products takes dedication and a watchful eye, but it can be done.

A friend of mine tried giving up "made in China" products for Lent, and found it to be next to impossible! She ended up buying a purse (accidentally) that was made in China.

Sure, the auto-makers are suffering (badly), and other industries are suffering too. We can vote with our dollars, and support American-made products in multiple industries...

Retroit

Post Number: 620
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is too much to expect people to buy American made products when an import is cheaper. We (read: our government) need to either impose a tariff on imports or require that all imports are made in accordance with our laws.

Gannon

Post Number: 14943
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked at the supplies I bought yesterday at Home Depot...and was amazed that the first TWO were actually made in the USA. It was a small paint bucket and a roller. I didn't choose them for their origin, but it was funny.

Then the third was from the UK, a sanding block from 3M. I guess they couldn't find anyone in MN willing to make these, or it includes something that is regulated here.

Fourth...finally, something from Taiwan.

So fixing five holes in a wall became a multi-national event!

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And the price difference at the pump is OBVIOUSLY designed to sell the sheople OFF of them. That sort of manipulative game makes me all passive-aggressive like...there is almost NO way I'd consider anything else! "

Actually Gannon, the price is up at the pumps because there is a huge demand for diesel, but fewer refineries that make it, overseas. Much of the diesel produced at American refineries is exported. Hence, the higher price here is due to higher demand elsewhere.

Greebomusic
Username: Greebomusic

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just purchased an '09 Jeep Patriot and love it!

Buyamerican

Post Number: 887
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^We need more out there like you Greebomusic...good for you and good luck with your Jeep.

Gannon

Post Number: 14953
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a gd minute.

Is this because a portion of a barrel HAS to be diesel?

I mean, the refinery process is fungible, if that is a decent enough term. I always heard that the chemistry of refining is adaptable based upon demand. They can adjust the proportions to the various stata of volatility at will.

I'm guessing that diesel is the 'bottom of the barrel', so there is always some remainder that exists?

There is way too much a price discrepancy...I still smell at least SOME manipulation.

Where is this 'excess' diesel exported TO? I'm guessing someone found a way to re-apportion empty containers returning to China?!

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's not forget that German and Japanese autoworkers are unionized too, and very well paid with good retirement, etc.

It's the Shelby-protected non-union plants down in Alabamatucky that I hate, and the GM, etc., pennies-an-hour plants down in Mexico that have me worried.

I recognize the need for the loan package, but no love here for GM management. If they could get away with it they'd ship everyone's job out to somewhere cheaper with no pesky unions.

Haikoont

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There is way too much a price discrepancy...I still smell at least SOME manipulation.

What a surprise.

Demand for gasoline both here and abroad has been flat. Diesel is a middle distillate and demand is booming. Gasoline has basically become a diesel byproduct.

Go ahead, buy your diesel car. We'll just import more OPEC oil.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican, what am I supposed to do?

I want a neighborhood car, or a car made with gas mileage and cost of repairs in mind. What did the US companies offer me five years ago? What do they offer for me today? I can tell you, several years ago a domestic car dealer looked at us like we were crazy, and showed us a Cavalier. I told him that my buddy and a local consumer newsletter said the car was crap, and easy to steal. The salesman suggested I go to the Hyundai Dealership down Plymouth Road.

Buyamerican, what were we supposed to do?

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Buyamerican, what were we supposed to do?"

DON'T BUY NEW

Also my brother drives a 92 Cavalier, hes had it for 7 years now. 250K miles, not one single problem unless you mind rust-he paid 500 bucks for it

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 801
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love my $750.00 Ford Ranger with 145,000 on the clock, Yet with that and the family car [91 Buick] with 179,000 miles I am gonna break down and get a new car next year if i,m still working. Either A Mustang or a F150.That is if I support my Ford side of the family, The GM side would be a Malibu or Silverado. Yea if I could do it I,d get a Ferrari But thats not gonna happen.I don,t have any thing against the Japanese cars they run good and they last, My Dad a WW2 vet has a 18 yr old Acura, He loves it and says "I fought for FREEDOM TO BUY WHAT I WANT". I agree with him though I dont like driving that Car, But it,s not mine. Runs great eventhough it has been totalled once.I have never owned an auto produced by a foreign country.Yet when you have people in Ohio,Kentucky building Hondas and Toyotas and the Aussies building GTO,S you gotta know it,s a whole new ballgame.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 888
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^Your Dad fought in WW2 and he buys a Japanese car? I guess his memories of the Japanese are different than my Dad's memories, because it took my father a long time to even talk about the Japanese people without sweating and shaking uncontrollably after witnessing the atrocities they did to Americans, British soldiers, Austrailian soldiers, and other civilians in the POW camps. Now, some Americans are proud to purchase German cars, Japanese cars, cars made in China where civil rights are almost non-existant. Yes, your father fought for freedom to buy what he wants, as my father did, but to the day he died, my father would never even consider purchasing a japanese automobile and sending any of his American dollars over there.
Incidentally, did you know that Mitsubishi used
Americans, Dutch, English and Australian and American soldiers in a Mitsubishi Iron Foundry from a slave labor camp?

Gannon

Post Number: 14967
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, you're saying you come from a line of folks who seem to take things to illogical extremes.

That helps explain your single-mindedness on this issue, and I'm NOT saying this derogatorily!

It IS illogical to blame a car company whose employees look similar to those who performed such horrible deeds.

So, when the rest of the world continues to diss US for what the current administration has done in their rapicious actions, you'll understand?!

Nearly everything in my industry is made overseas...are you saying I need to quit voluntarily?! Heh, OPEN YOUR EYES, Buy, and stop throwing stones in anger.

My Livonia friend says that foreign is what people buy after they learn better...heh. His Acura is an amazing machine. His wife's Saab/Subaru is one of the best vehicles GM has offered in my entire lifetime. The Subaru wagon they just picked up is a wonderful product, too, and surprises MOST who choose to engage him in a race...he's a gear-head who needs his adrenals tickled occasionally.

Problem is WAY bigger than the simple solutions you suggest, but I've said I will investigate more thoroughly the next time I consider a vehicle purchase.

Anger can make a person blind...when it gets ahold of the herd it creates WAR. Let's not go there. Please.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 889
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Gannon, but your wrong.

I am not at all angry because my father was traumatized during WW2. I am and have always been saddened by it because it. My buy American stance isn't predicated on anything other than wanting to see the U.S. remain a strong respected country. Right now that isn't the case. Consider this...if all the U.S. automakers were to close their doors wouldn't we be left vunerable? I am sure that Toyota, Honda and Nissan would be right there to help us out in case we needed military vehicles on the spot.

Anger isn't the word to describe what I feel Gannon, it's disgust that some Americans have no loyalty to the last few "American" companies left in the U.S. Yes, maybe some of the Big 3 autos are assembled in different countries, parts are supplied from other countries, but the bottom line is that the profits from the sale of those autos built FOR the Big 3 stay in American where it should stay. I say that some Americans are biting the hand that feeds them and that is wrong in my eyes. But, then again, who am I anyway? Just someone who is trying to be loyal to my country by giving back and by trying to keep Americans working.
It's all very simple and maybe my simple solutions are all it takes.

Swimmaven
Username: Swimmaven

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My goodness, this thread has ideas from the 1930's to the 1950's. Kind of backward look at the future.

I think the car companies should be helped (a favorite word in Michigan), but this industry has been clueless for decades. But look at what they have look at: Detroit and Michigan. Yikes.

In the Saturday New York Times online is the Bush Auto Bailout story. Part of the deal is that Cerebrus(sp?) does NOT have to repay any government money if the Chrysler turnaround fails. That is just asswipe.

Sorry for no link.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican said:

"Yes, maybe some of the Big 3 autos are assembled in different countries, parts are supplied from other countries, but the bottom line is that the profits from the sale of those autos built FOR the Big 3 stay in American where it should stay."

So if GM-Ford-Chrysler shipped ALL assembly to Canada and Mexico it would be OK? After all, using your logic the profits would still come back to Detroit. What about employing Americans? This is why I can't understand why so many people (Buyamerican in particular) are so against Honda, Toyota, etc. assembling cars in the U.S. and hiring tax paying U.S. workers. It's sad that two of the best selling "American" cars, Ford Fusion and Chevy Impala, aren't even assembled in our country.

COMPANIES THAT EMPLOY AMERICANS, DRIVE AMERICA!

Retroit

Post Number: 635
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Big3 close up shop in the States, would the foreign auto-makers stay here? Is it really cheaper for them to make cars here, or are they doing it because of fear of US restrictions on imports?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 804
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BuyAmerican, I do agree with you in alot of ways.My Dad still does not like to talk about the war and does remember very well what happened on 12/7/41,Yet I also belive that his purchase of his Acura was also based upon the fact that in 1990 there were no cars like the MG,Triumph,or even a car such as the Jag XK8 to buy. That was his first and most likely last foreign car purchase.He had wanted a "sports car" since the 50,s and at 72 yrs of age he thought he,d better get his sports car,.Personally I,d wish he,d got a Miata. I didn,t question the man It was his money. I highly doubt that my real father had he lived to this day would have bought a KIA.He served during the Korean War and always showed me his feet,"FrostBite".WW2 Dad don,t like to show me his scars.I guess his Purple Heart is enough to say it all.

Gannon

Post Number: 14972
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy,

Thanks for that.

I'm with you to a point. When GM began trending away from loyalty to THEIR employees...that's when they lost what little respect I had for them.

It was already little, because in my formative years I saw the benefits in the power-to-weight exercise NOT in more power but with MUCH less weight! They've NEVER given more than a passing glance at small, efficient vehicles!

Vega, Pinto, Maverick, Gremlin...need I say more? They lost me then. VW got me, and as with many others I've held forth with my adoration of the brand...but only because for decades they made great performance at a very low price. (they lost me when they got fat and happy in the 90s, but it seems they have awakened from their sleep-walking lately)

So...about those profits and where they land...I'd say job creation supporting groups of individuals in a community is more important...but I'd much rather have the 'funnel' aimed towards Detroit, gathering wealth for the stuff we create.

But for the purpose of re-investment to create MORE jobs here.

So, if that is happening, then I'll jump on your bandwagon.

Let me know...

Haikoont

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Purchasing a new car is a big financial commitment. Even in the best of economies, it takes a strong work ethic to put oneself in a position to afford a new vehicle (unless one inherits wealth). Perpetual slackers who spend their days posting long-winded, judgmental messages on an internet board can pontificate all they want -- but they aren't really relevant, since they won't ever bear down enough in life to be a new-car customer. Just a thought.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my 1992 Isuzu Trooper with 247,000 trouble free miles and more GM parts than most "American Cars" have dies. I will be hard pressed to find something like my Trooper with out power locks, power windows, way to many cup holders, heated and cooled seats, remote start and on and on that people like myself don't need or want and don't want to pay for.

Make a product that will last, one with out all the bullshit options.

Make buying the car a pleasant, easy transaction, with out all the bullshit haggling and dickering.

And for god's sake stop the come on ad's for employee pricing, that just pisses off people that the overpaid autoworkers get a better price than them.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking forward to buying an American car when I'm due for a new car again (2013 model year), as long as Ford, GM, or Chrysler can offer me a two-door hatchback priced at under $18K that delivers high 30's mpg city and about 45 mpg highway. That's all I need. If the US automakers can't make that car, I'll stay with Toyota. Low total operating cost is the bottom line.

I'll ask this again: why can't the US auto industry be the fuel-efficiency LEADERS, instead of also-rans?

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 476
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

as long as Ford, GM, or Chrysler can offer me a two-door hatchback priced at under $18K that delivers high 30's mpg city and about 45 mpg highway

Maybe you get better mileage than other people but there is no Toyota product that meets those specifications either. Echo would be the only possibility, and it is rated 34/41.

Anyway, assuming the US companies still exist in the fall of 2012, and assuming that inflation hasn't run wild in the meantime, you will be able to get a US branded car meeting those specifications. However, it might be built in Mexico.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not talking about ratings, I'm talking about real-world fuel efficiency... and Echo hasn't been made since '05, I think. Anyway, my Yaris delivers 33-34 mpg in the city and 40-42 on the highway. My mpg criteria are based on the assumption that fuel economy will be somewhat improved across the board by the time I'm ready for my new 2013 car. Nevertheless, if I can get a good US-branded car that meets my needs, I certainly will look at "buying American."

I don't care if it's built in Mexico, Canada, or wherever. If it's the right product for me, I'll buy it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.