Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Saving Detroit's last synagogue « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that this might interest some of the group.

I apologize if it is already posted. I didn't see it.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081218/M ETRO/812180400/&imw=Y

Mozeewink
Username: Mozeewink

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting. I thought this was an interesting article.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 762
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the synagogue. I wish the two groups could really come together to save it. The article was good.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14933
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great article, Aguilar knocks it out of the park once again.

I would LOVE to see this building and congregation thrive.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3933
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was one of the more interesting stories in the News in a long time. I really enjoyed it and wish the congregation all the best. It's great that they want to make the place a catalyst for bringing people back to the city, and also growing their small congregation. At least, it sounds like a progressive group.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 792
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I,m not jewish, It would be sad to see the jewish community not have a place to worship in this city.I parked by there once while going to Comerica Park haden,t known the place existed till then.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what they decided as far as selling it?

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 248
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good article , It was not totally correct. You don't say Kaddish for 15 months, you say Kaddish for one day short of 11 months. Kaddish is never said for longer then 11 months, that's why you stop one day short.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Jjaba on this one?

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 640
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I can convince my girlfriend(jewish) to worship there to check it out. I might even follow(im not jewish). I was a little confused by the article thought I know there are two groups the board and the congregation. Which is progressive and which is conservative?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mourners' Kaddish is for 11 months (as in for your parent). However, in many Reform and Conservative shuls, the whole congregation takes part and those who are not specifically mourning are said to be mourning those of the Holocaust.

So, the guy could have easily said the Kaddish for 15 months straight.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or, if you are a Bernstein, you say Kaddish across generations:

http://www.juilliard.edu/updat e/journal/j_articles92.html

By the way, where is Jjaba? Haven't seen him chime in lately. I hope he is ok

Softailrider

Post Number: 250
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Entire congregation does not take part in the saying of Kaddish in any shul I've ever been in. Only those who have lost a relative stand and recite Kaddish.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Softail, the only synagogue I've been in was in Prague. Is it necessary to wear something on the head when entering the synagogue in the US? We used to in the Catholic church.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3998
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only time I ever visited a synagogue the males in our group were required to wear a yarmulke to enter, and it wasn't even during a service. It was a Reform congregation, so I'm not sure if the same rules apply between sects or even among congregations within the same sect.

Softailrider

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At reform synagogues headcoverings are optional , majority don't wear them. At most conservative and orthodox synagogues males are required to wear headcoverings when they enter the doors. The rules may vary slightly from shul to shul, Jews are fond of the expression " variety is the spice of life"

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you to both Lmichigan and Softail. I'd hoped to visit this synagogue, but didn't want to show up w/o the appropriate head covering.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3999
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one I went to, though, it is affiliated with Reform also says that it was originally founded as a merger to congregations, one Conservative and one Reform, so I guess the rules were made by whichever sect the rabbi happens to be from in this particular merged congregation. All that I know is that I was required to wear a headcovering. It was not a choice.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Branch" or "denomination" are better fitting terms than "sect."

When in doubt, keep your head covered and don't bring in money.

Then again, I'm curious why someone would go in who wasn't Jewish.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't bring in money? Am I to understand there's no 'poor box'?

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 319
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Generally speaking, there's no reason people should need to avoid bringing money into a synagogue. Only on the Sabbath is it traditionally prohibited to carry money, but that's only observed today in orthodox congregations, so that really wouldn't apply here. And, there most likely is a 'poor box' at the synagogue, called a tzedakah box, for money to go to charity. In general though, people shouldn't feel the need to bring money, or to avoid bringing money. Consider it a non-issue.

Atwater

Post Number: 320
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I see, East_detroit meant in general, not just for the Downtown Synagogue.

Yes, when in doubt, if going into a synagogue and you're not sure of the particular denomination or the synagogue's particular practices..

A male should always have his head covered while inside, and, *on the Jewish Sabbath only (Friday night and Saturday)*, keep all money and electronic devices in your pockets (or just don't bring them in), since Judaism traditionally prohibits Jews from carrying such items on the Sabbath, and even if you're not Jewish, out of respect, it would be best not to have such items out. And if you have electronic devices in your pockets, make sure you turn them off or put them on silent.

Softailrider

Post Number: 253
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgedoger....
You don't have to worry about bringing your own , there's always a box of yarmukles by the door when you walk in.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tzedakah box, I'll look for it.

As far as the yarmukle, I'm a woman. I'll bring a chapel veil in the event other women are wearing something to cover their heads.

Thank you for the information.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 641
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think i may have peeked my GF interest in going to this temple. She wants to have me convert to judasim so shes been shopping the idea of going to a reform temple. For my sake if i go to it i hope its reform. I have only been in one temple and it was a conservative one in oak park for a bar mitzvah.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Synagogue is Conservative.

For Reform you might try Temple Beth El.

Generally, a Rabbi will want to hear that you want to convert for reasons beyond your girlfriend wanting you to, so maybe you'll find that reason in your visits.

Softailrider

Post Number: 254
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention the circumcision he'll have to endure. He sounds like an adult ( ouchie!! )

Atwater

Post Number: 323
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahaha.. really though, yes, to convert to Judaism a male must get circumcised, but, in case you already are circumcised (which a lot of non-Jewish Americans are these days), the person who does the circumcisions would just draw blood down there- a lot less painful than a full circumcision!

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, by 'the person who does the circumscisions', you do mean the doctor, right? I'd imagine most males of our generation were circumcised. At least it was thought to be "healthier" for the child by our parents.

Atwater

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, nope, 'the person who does the circumcisions' is called a mohel, and it's someone who's received training to do circumcisions. Nowadays, some of them are doctors, but many are not. But even the ones who aren't doctors should be perfectly competant- the training I mentioned includes both religious and limited medical instruction, so they do know what to do and what not to do.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 775
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Then again, I'm curious why someone would go in who wasn't Jewish."

Im not technically Jewish, but I enjoy going to Shabbat. I practice but in my own way. At some point I may convert but right now I move around and I don't know where I will be after school, so I would rather wait until I am settled.

The D.S. is conservative but I wouldn't say they are hardline. Contrary to the article they do count both men and women to get to the minyan.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Then again, I'm curious why someone would go in who wasn't Jewish."

It's always interesting to learn about other religions. As a child, we were never encouraged to go to other churches. The first non-Catholic church I'd entered was a synagog in Prague. It was beautiful and so peaceful.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4529
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Along time ago Detroit has synagogues in every street corner. Now it's just one. Like jjaba said, every 25 years the ethnic Jewish communities begin to move on to another area and call it their promise land.

Detroit survived before the ethnic Jewish community and Detroit will survive after the ethnic Jewish community move away.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.