Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Great segment on 'Inside the NBA' on TNT about our City. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 410
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone see it? (I know this is old news for us, but we are being talked about around the country!)

John 'Coach' Thompson interviewed ex-Piston/ Northern High Detroiter, Derrick 'DC' Coleman, about his retail development project in Detroit on Linwood and Clairmount.

Coach Thompson's piece captured on video, the full essence of the area, the people, the houses, the blight, and the development.

Coach Thompson also spoke briefly with Dave Bing about the future of Detroit (particularly the Black experience).

Chris Webber, who was a special guest in the studio on, 'Inside the NBA' on TNT, made a sentimental commentary about the state of the City, (looking right at the camera) ,remarking a plea to Dave Bing to help the City and the people of Detroit, stating, 'Detroit needs you Dave Bing' please help Detroit.'

Also, Charles Barkley, stated that he would be in Detroit soon to help Dave Bing raise money for his campaign.

I applaud John 'Coach' Thompson for doing a piece like this, helping to expose the Black athlete's contribution to not simply a charitable organization funded by the NBA, but a self-motivated community empowerment cause for the people of the village!

Black men nurturing the village! (Loving It)

blksoul_atcha!
'We are the ones we have been waiting on.'

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's always good news to hear. I am a Dave Bing supporter just because I believe he has the busniess mindset to turn around this city (not just downtown but neighborhoods as well)

I've always been pleased with what Coleman has done in the city over the years. He is one well known person from the city that has actually decided to make an impact and give back.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever I hear of Derrick Coleman, the first thing I can ever think of is him whipping it out and peeing on the floor of a restaurant years back. Makes you kind of nervous about his very own restaurant now.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the NBA has now endorsed Dave Bing?

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 549
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So the NBA has now endorsed Dave Bing?" quote

No I don't think so but I'm sure the PR machine will be cranking it up if Dave wins. First Kevin Johnson in Sactown and then Dave the NBA will have a lot to talk about

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see that Derrick has apparently straightened himself out from the days of the sort of "hijinks" noted above. Someone giving back to our beleaguered city is always good news.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4064
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I ask a dumb question?

quote:

Coach Thompson also spoke briefly with Dave Bing about the future of Detroit (particularly the Black experience).

What exactly does this mean?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.