Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Cobo Expansion Approved « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 612
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'm probably late, but I thought the bailout was dominating the news today.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081219/M ETRO/812190443

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3314
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, that's great. This will go down as one of the greatest ideas since laying the slab on Belle Isle. :-)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This only is a good thing if the city markets itself to other large conventions. We now have huge amounts of hotel space and we need to bring the whole convention package into a solid marketing plan. We cant do this sley for the NAIAS.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5991
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm assuming this is the expansion scenario that includes converting Cobo Arena to convention space, rather than tearing it down and starting from scratch...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3628
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like a near economic meltdown to light the fire under some politicians asses. Maybe someone should rush a regional government bill to Lansing!

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3607
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one get too excited just yet.

From the Free Press article on the same story...

"The legislation creates a five-member governing board to oversee Cobo operations – one member appointed by the city’s mayor, one by the governor and one each representing Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties. All five have individual veto power over decisions in building and running Cobo. "

In other words, Brooks continues to have the ability to veto anything he doesn't like

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5992
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes but it appears that the key word is "operations"... how does that relate to "construction"
(or current/future expansions)?

I know it says "in building or operating Cobo".

But does that mean in managing the proposed expansion(s)... or in being the final arbiter of what gets built?

(Message edited by Gistok on December 19, 2008)

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 896
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does say, "The Authority will have the power to sell bonds to pay for the renovations."
That tells me if Patterson does like the terms/interest rate of the bonds than he can veto the renovations.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 319
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What will the final total square footage be? I think 50 thousand sq ft was recently added. So it will end up being around 900,000 sq feet? Definitely gets us where we want to be. Will certainly help fill up the new hotels.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3939
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

166,000 additional square feet gets the exhibition space to 866,000 square feet. So, year, pretty close to 900,000 sq ft. It'll be interesting to see where it gets added to.

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hey, that's great. This will go down as one of the greatest ideas since laying the slab on Belle Isle.

Because a racecar paddock that is used once a year is the same thing as a convention center?

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 764
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will believe it when it's built.

<313>

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.