Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Newspapers Stopping Daily Deliveries? » Archive through December 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparent insider just posted this on authoritative anti-Gannett blog:
quote:

Meeting still going on ... Paul Anger, the chief editor of the Free Press, just announced that both Detroit papers would deliver three days a week. No layoffs in the newsroom for now. In other departments, about 200 employees - or 9% of the staff - would be laid off. The savings, he said, of cutting delivery would be in the tens of millions.

"If we don't do this, we face a slow death," he said. "We are not making money."

The mood is somber.

He projects 200,000 single copies sold when there is no delivery.

The Free Press will soon open this link to describe what this means to subscribers: www.freep.com/transform. It's not an active link as of 10 a.m.

12/16/2008 10:03 AM

Realitycheck

Post Number: 280
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More from Gannett-bashing blog:
quote:

Paul Anger: This plan was by the Free Press, not Gannett. "This was not dictated to us or suggested in any way. This was a plan by the Detroit Newspaper Partnership."

He acknowledged that Gannett was "very interested" when it heard about the plan. But he maintains this was all a plan by the DNP.

He added that other undisclosed publishers have been inquiring about using this plan as a model. "There are a lot of people all around this country interested in this."

When pressed about newsroom layoffs in the near future, he did not deny such a possibility, saying it depends on how the plan shakes out and Michigan's dismal economy.

12/16/2008 10:22 AM

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5038
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDIV is supposed to have live coverage on this at 11:00 AM

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ index.html

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the freep link is live now...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2760
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does this mean I won't be awakened every morning at 5:00 AM by the thumping base from the delivery boy's gangster ride? Good riddence!

MikeM,

You must live on the rough side of town eh? LOL

Realitycheck

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CEO's memo to employees

Date: December 16, 2008
To: Detroit Media Partnership and Detroit Free Press team members

Like so many businesses today, newspapers are undergoing enormous change. Advertising, including classified advertising, is down. Costs are up. We are losing money. In the past decade, we have witnessed the impact technology has had on our ability to report and distribute information. This has led to the steady growth in traffic to our Web sites, but it has also contributed to declines in our print circulation.

Throughout this time, your hard work, dedication and perseverance has been greatly appreciated, but, there is much more we must do to adapt to the changing ways readers consume news and information.

Advertising revenues have declined sharply for paid media. As we look ahead to a new year, this downturn may continue in Michigan. For many years, we have reacted responsibly and reduced our operating expenses. However, budget cuts are a short term solution and we must position ourselves for growth. In order to secure our future as the leading sources of local news and information in southeast Michigan, significant changes must be made.

We absolutely believe in the future of newspapers seven days a week, but we cannot live in the past. In the first quarter of 2009, we will launch a revolutionary new business model that maintains the voices of our two great newspapers. Changes due to occur include expanding digital information channels as markets develop and consumers direct. We must build on the success of our deep, rich and diverse niche sites like Metro Mix, MomsLikeMe.com, HighSchoolSports.net and COSI. These are just a sampling of new solutions driven by and for users who may not be traditional newspaper readers.

Home delivery will be limited to Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays. Single copy editions will be available seven days a week and re-designed to be more dynamic and compelling. Sharply improved electronic editions of each newspaper will be available online every day to all subscribers. These e-editions allow users to modify type sizes, interact with advertising messages, and search specific content and more.

Many alternatives were reviewed during our planning process, and this is the plan that best positions our company for long term vitality. These changes will impact many areas of our operations, and we will be reducing staff levels.

Over the next several days you will have the opportunity to attend one of many meetings with me and Susie Ellwood. These meetings will share insight into the planning process and allow you the opportunity to ask questions about this announcement. Updates will also be posted on the company’s intranet.

This decision reflects the reality of these daunting economic times and the changing needs of our customers. We must focus more on digital delivery methods to preserve our position as Michigan’s information leader.

Now is the time to engage audiences on their terms. With your support, we will continue to serve our readers and advertisers and grow our business.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5039
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to say - my parents are elderly (80s) and all the shit that's already going on, now with the papers, the reading of which seems to be the central activity of their day (aside from doctor visits), is really, really hard on them.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 849
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lilpup, i was thinking about this last night: could some enterprising youth (or whomever) create independent delivery routes? i know people are trying to trim a dollar here and a dollar there, but would people pay two or three bucks a week to have someone bring the newsstand edition to their house? and in turn, freep/detnews could offer bulk discounts to such distributors? hmmm...

Lilpup

Post Number: 5040
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the press conference they said they're working on mail subscriptions that could get people the paper on the day it's printed. I imagine it will cost more, though.

It just feels like everything is falling down around our ears now and I tend to worry about my parents a lot because I can't afford to take care of them. They don't really need me to (yet, anyway) but I wish I was in position to.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 659
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20081216/METRO /812160419

I know I might sound a little crazy here, but I thought a news "paper" was supposed to have paper in it???? It was bad enough a couple years ago when the News shrunk it's physical paper size, combined sections, and dropped a lot of its metro and business content. Now they are dropping paper all together. I enjoy picking up a copy of the news and reading it while I eat my lunch at work. Now I'm going to have to settle for an even smaller paper with less content that will probably cost me more to buy. WTF? I'm not going to lug my laptop into the lunch room so I can browse articles and spill food and beverage all over the keyboard. What's the point in having a news paper if you're not going to print anything? Kind of makes the big renovation of their Mound Rd facility look a little pointless now, doesn't it...

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well here's what. If you are looking to make up the slack....The Macomb Daily has a Monday-Friday sub. for $1.75 a week....as well as a Thursday-Sunday for $1.90 a week.

The Oakland Press has a Monday-Saturday for $1.80 a week ($7.20, four weeks).
Monday-Friday, $1.00 a week ($4.00, four weeks....best deal).
Tues-Thurs-Sunday, $2.00 a week ($7.20 four weeks)
The Mon-Fri is your best bet with The Oakland Press if you want to pick up slack.
By the way, The Oakland Press as well as USA Today still will have free online news.

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on December 16, 2008)

Wsugradguy
Username: Wsugradguy

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things change, I guess it's human nature to complain about everything.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't all that long ago that the northeast and part of the midwest had a massive power outage for several days. Only land-line telephone service was available for communication. Is it really a good idea to put all of our eggs in one ether basket called the internet?

The printed word, in mail, newspapers, magazines and perhaps even books will all go the way of the dodo bird eventually. Banks, credit unions, and utilities, for example are pushing consumers to pay their bills online, so they can cut jobs and expenses. Is it impossible to think that a rapidly mutating malicious server virus or worm might someday be created that might be able to shut down all or much of the internet for days, weeks, or even months?

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget too, than when the blackout hit in '03, the papers were printed out of state and driven back to Michigan.

The logistics on that day were interesting.

Most of the drivers are used to driving locally, not over-the-road and needed a crash course in DOT regulations and logging their hours for their time on the road.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There still will be print editions of both papers every day, you'll just have to buy them in a box or at a store on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday. Thursday, Friday, Sunday home delivered.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck to my brother and sister journalists.
We're heading into really dark times.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally, an entity in Detroit willing to face reality and make bold, and potentially un-popular, changes. I welcome this forward thinking plan. I would rather have two print media outlets employing journalists and disseminating media digitally than one archiac print newspaper and a bunch of hack bloggers filling the digital void. For once, a Detroit institution appears to be at the beginning of a trend and acting in a proactive manner.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck to all my brother and sister Pressman, Pressroom supervisors, Home delivery drivers, Home delivery managers and represenitives, carriers, Mailers, Dock supervisors, Production supervisors and others I have missed.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several here post that they don't like the idea. OK, fine, neither do I. What's the alternative? The situation is what it is, and what a lot of people like to ignore is that the status quo is not an alternative.

The financial press is expecting more media bankruptcies and disappearances in 2009, and they point to newspapers as the most likely source of such catastrophes. Fewer and fewer people read newspapers. They have to try something drastic, or else stand still and wait to die.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's business. Charge an ever increasing amount to access the paper via internet. Start low, then sock it to them. No pesky pressmen, truck drivers, delivery costs.
Next step (already done elsewhere), pay someone in India 40 cents an hour to contribute news items. No pesky journalists or writers to worry about.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8836
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long ago did the Publisher of the Freep retire?

Why am I drawing a blank on his name...was it Heath Merriwether?! I remember e-mail exchanging ideas with him on electronic publishing nearly a year or so before he stepped down.

Told him I only got my news on-line and could they at least give me a way to DONATE money to the org and not ever see a print copy in my house? He said no, reluctantly, and we agreed this would be a huge issue in the future. Then he went away...

I'm going to continue to support WDET and the MetroTimes...and now that the Freep has some form of payment for on-line services I will pay it as long as they continue to employ Elrick, Shaefer, and Ashenfelter.

Interesting sidebar with the troubles in elder psyches...that is a HUGE issue with most everyone over forty.

There has to be a new term for this...Babyboomerang?! The specific whiplash that occurs when a wave of new technology sweeps over a population, washing old habits away from those who release their lockhold...but causing those who either cannot or will not change undue stress and consternation

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8837
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, apparently the band T Rex beat me to it...heh.

Mrnittany
Username: Mrnittany

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting internet blog post on the newspapers' decision:

http://newsosaur.blogspot.com/ 2008/12/shutdown-was-alternati ve-in-detroit.html

(1) Detroit really can't support two newspapers. But they're going to try to hang onto both, though the more logical long-term move may be to shutter one (the News).

(2) I think the risk of how this will get people "out of the habit" of reading the paper every day is VERY VASTLY understated. I picture my parents here. Those readers WILL find other mediums.

(3) Is ANYbody going to pay $12/month to see the digital replica of the print edition???? Really? I can't imagine them getting any revenue this way.

(4) I'd imagine getting reliable carriers will become much more difficult for the papers. It's not a full-time job anymore. Part-time. Increased chance of poor service ... leading to more cancelled subscriptions ... a negative feedback process.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the 12 dollar price is for home delivery, with the digital edition as well. And I can't see how this becomes a profitable venture for the delivery guy, unless they get a cut of the online revenue.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2893
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't pay a nickel for an on-line edition.
If it ain't printed on paper that I can hold in my hands and carry around in my back pocket, I don't want it.
As for delivery-- so far, the only matter immediately relevant-- as I have stated, earlier, the Free Press proved to me, after numerous attempts, that they are completely unable to dependably get a paper onto my porch by 6:30 AM, so all that is happening now is me hearing them say that they will no longer try to carry out a task which they were never able to accomplish in the first place.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 283
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like it, especially if one must pay twelve dollars a month for internet access to the newspapers, as I have been told to expect. I guess the paradigm has shifted, though. Sad to witness the demise of journalism.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 782
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom would be happy to get Pops paper then she could pick up her smokes too. Talked to my Pop today he was bummed, Says "I gotta go for a ride four days a week now".Maybe then his battery wouldn,t go dead as much.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5045
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it would be less of an issue if jobs were bountiful and no one was getting hurt, but that hasn't been the case around here in a long time. If times were good it could be seen as a convenient, enviro friendly move, but the losses are outweighing the good in the present situation. Too many people have been hurt already and adding more to the list doesn't help.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 785
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got that right Lilpup, This whole deal ain,t too positive in one bit.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5797
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they wanted to, they could shift many of the workers to working digitally and doing other things. They don't want to.