Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Bringing affordable seafood to Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a new seafood restaurant is comming to Detroit Jan 2nd here is a link to the article.
http://www.michronicleonline.c om/articlelive/articles/3429/1 /REVIVING-DOWNTOWN/Page1.html

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 436
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish they would focus on Harmony Park infill. Put up some low rise condos (similar to Chicago/Philly style 3 flats). Those parking lots really kill what could be a much MORE charming place.......beggers can't be...well, you all know the rest.

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I'm not from Detroit so I shouldn't ask about what might be swimming in that river...

In most places a river means - fresh seafood. Maybe the fish are all Canadian and not subject to American consumption.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"restaurant also has booths equipped with curtains for private dining. Everything from a business meeting to an intimate one is possible at Detroit Fish Market."
--------------

"Pay no attention to the moaning and banging about behind the curtain!" tee hee :-)

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^If you see someone's bass poking out, just tuna the other way.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

arrr, arr, arr!

I guess the curtains are for those folks who can't masticate in public?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3761
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We already had affordable seafood in the city...

It's called Long John Silver.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dot and Etta's Shrimp Hut!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3961
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the plan for Africantown and how it related to this...? :-)

Ocean2026, how often have you heard of commercial-scale fishing in inland rivers, out of curiosity?

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 270
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So why did the incorrect spelling of HARMONIE Park get past the editor?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3965
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waz, I think it's an indication that we're letting our history be forgotten. Either that, or a typo.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 132
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one seems to spell it correctly anymore. And since when did Harmonie Park become "Paradise Valley" (which was actually several blocks away)?

Of course, there already is plenty of affordable seafood places in the city, and they all have the same slogan: "you buy, we fry!" Although I have a feeling that Mr. Taylor may be aiming a little higher up the cuisine scale. The popularity of Fishbone's certainly shows that such a place could be successful.

Ocean: there's lots of good fish in the river, and if you were here in the summer you'd see lots of people fishing in it. There's quite a bit of fresh water fish sold in restaurants around here that comes out of one or the other of the Great Lakes. This restaurant though seems aimed a bit more at an ocean fish eating crowd.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6013
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The German spelling mistake is often made on this forum... it's easy to make the mistake of using the English spelling... continuous corrections gets tiresome.

Many forumers also like to put an extra "L" into "Ilitch".

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Restaurant mogul/entrepreneur Frank Taylor has set out to meet this need with his new restaurant, Detroit Fish Market, which will open its doors on Friday, Jan. 2.

This place is openning in the old Intermezzo location. Isn't Frank Taylor one of those guys behind the Asian Village nightmare? Wan't he sued by former biz pal Derrick Coleman for not paying his part of a tax bill?

Pair-A-dice Valley, jeeze

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3966
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And since when did Harmonie Park become "Paradise Valley" (which was actually several blocks away)?

Since then:

quote:

New Paradise Valley to replace Harmonie Park

By Cornelius Fortune | Published 08/6/2008

A new Paradise Valley is about a year away from becoming reality.

Community leaders, including Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and Councilwoman Barbara-Rose Collins, recently announced during a groundbreaking ceremony that Harmonie Park will now be known as Paradise Valley.

With help from The Kresge Foundation, The Detroit Economic Growth Corporation (DEGC), the Detroit City Council and others, work on the area has already started.

Gnome, can you explain to me what you meant by your Paradise pun, please?

(Message edited by lmichigan on December 28, 2008)

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 564
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We already had affordable seafood in the city...

It's called Long John Silver." quote

We need a Red Lobster in the city !!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for him.

I hope its a success.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3763
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dot and Etta's Shrimp Hut!

quote:

We need a Red Lobster in the city !!

Don't forget Miley & Miley or O'Quins! :-)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there a place in the GM food court called Fish City? I bet they are cheaper.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joke all you want , those chedder biscuits at Red Lobster are KILLER.........

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3770
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Pffft!

Who wants to eat at a bland chain restaurant? :-)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently millions of people, hence the ability to become a 'chain'.

I don't personally care for Red Lobster, only because of the seemingly high salt content in everything. Now, the cheese biscuits do rock.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the article:
quote:

Detroit Fish Market will focus on the freshest catch of the day, with dishes such as atlantic salmon, whitefish, pacific cod, Chilean Sea Bass and Mahi Mahi that can be ordered Shang Hai, a signature preparation, or simply grilled, broiled or blackened.

None of those fish come from anywhere in the Great Lakes region. Therefore, it's more likely to be the freshest catch of 2 weeks ago.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't the restaurant owners contract with a company that will ship freshly-caught seafood overnight?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3968
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, and that sounds exactly like what they are going to do.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ok I'm not from Detroit so I shouldn't ask about what might be swimming in that river...

In most places a river means - fresh seafood. Maybe the fish are all Canadian and not subject to American consumption.

Which "most places" have a river where you get seafood from, Ocean2026? Ironic name you have.

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better go in the first week because after that the paychecks will have bounced and the staff will be pissed.......................

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 442
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I peaked in the window on Friday. They have most of the windows covered . But from what I could see it looks very nice. The menu was posted on the door but with no pricing. From what decor I could see it looked pricey

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 587
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well of course there's no pricing on the menu. You know the old adage, "If you have to ask, you don't need to know!"

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3617
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My goal is to bring great seafood back to downtown Detroit - great seafood, great service, great ambience."

Rattlesnake Club anyone?

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the Pickrel at Sinbad's.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miley and Miley Shrimp Shack.
I swear the 'catfish' they sell looks more like the carp I see some guys catching down in the Keans marina. No doubt there is a 'Bang on the back door' supply issue going on.

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I hope they succeed. I had lunch there this week and was pretty impressed. My salmon was nicely cooked -- not at all overdone, which happens too often even at upscale restaurants anymore. And the service was very good. Very attentive and pleasant.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank is like poison to restaurants. And if it's true to Southern Hospitality form, the staff will all quit after the checks start bouncing, and whoever Frank conned into supplying seafood wil talk to the guys at Plitt, Great Lakes, Noble and the other local fish vendors, and realize they are NEVER going to see their money.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bubba: Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

Bubba: Have you ever been on a real shrimp boat?
Forrest Gump: No, but I've been on a real big boat.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.