Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Ford Rotunda-Looking for Snapshots « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Keenerweener
Username: Keenerweener

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have access to some snapshots of Non-Christmas displays at the Ford Rotunda? I found four or five online from the mid Fifties that are simply priceless, including a display of the "New Edsel" line up, and one featuring the LevaCar!

Any posts would be appreciated!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3026
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Use your search function, as there are pic's on the Hall of Fame section.

I disabled most of the functions for my home page here, or I would do it.

Keenerweener

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx Bigb23, I'll check it out!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3351
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See? I didn't say nothin'! :-)

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look on Flickr. There's a woman there who posts only old Dearborn shots and she has a number of Christmas Rotunda interior shots.

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keener..
My brother-in-law took a number of the photos that surrounded the old Rotunda. I don't know what might be available, but I will check with his family and see if anything is available.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are two exterior and interior Kodachrome slides taken in 1955; the caption information is on this thread.

Keenerweener

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg,

Thanks for the references. Nice shots.

What am hoping to find are those long forgotten snapshots and photos that are sitting around in shoe boxes somewhere that might not have been looked at since shortly after they were taken.

Anybody got 'em?

Chuck_g
Username: Chuck_g

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

I have of my grandfather's sixth grade class in front of the entrance in 1941. Nicely done shot.

Whatcha doing with 'em?

Keenerweener

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck_g

Well, right now, just kinda recapturing my youth. Back in '57 my mom's family came up to visit from the Cincinatti area and she took us all on the grand tour of Detroit, including Greenfield Village, Belle Isle, the Rouge Tour and the Rotunda. I was only 4 but I have some vague memories of the Rotunda from that visit and I guess i'm looking to take myself back to '57 for a little vacation.

I am also a car nut and a Ford fan, especially of the HFII fifties and the grand plan to create five divisions to combat GM head to head.

Maybe some sort of book might come of it all somewhere down the line, but at this point, just some harmless nostalgia.

The 1941 photo sounds interesting. The Rotunda was shut down to the public during the war and was used for military training. It was then remodeled and didn't reopen until Ford's 50th anniversary celebration in 1953.

Keenerweener

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 382
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll look around. Somewhere I have a picture of it after I played basket ball as a student. If I'm thinking the same place shortly (months) after it caught fire. It was so long ago I could be thinking of a different place.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KeenerWeener: There is a book titled "The history of the Ford Rotunda: 1934-1962" by Thomas Burke. It's a nice little book (probably out of print, I purchased my copy several years ago). Doesn't have a lot of photos, but covers all the basics well.

Keenerweener

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx Sussex,

I have heard of the Burke Book but having a bit of difficulty locating one. Our local Library in our little West Michigan town doesn't have it and the only copy in the inter-library system is a not-for-loan item in the Hackley Library in Muskegon. I found this photo on the internet. It is what I'm looking for but doesn't give enough detail. It also is not in color. I'm being a bit fussy ain't I? Just hoping some one has such stuff.

Ford Rotunda interior c. 1955

(Message edited by Keenerweener on January 31, 2009)

Keenerweener

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 498
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford Rotunda Postcard

Postcard
The Rotunda was originally built for the Chicago Worlds Fair, then disassembled and moved to Dearborn.

(Message edited by Bobl on February 13, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.