Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » I worked at Tiger Stadium « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 943
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully some of you worked at Tiger Stadium and can tell us less fortunate foks about it.

(Message edited by Dfd on January 01, 2009)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2971
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd, that would be nice. I'll bet we'll get some stories.
Driving by The Corner is, suddenly, more depressing. They took down some of the barriers-- probably because the recent wind-storms almost blew some of them all over Hell's half-acre-- and driving past it, Wednesday, I could look all the way across the field and beyond to the remaining stands.
As I have stated previously, I am in Acceptance Mode, but that sight caused it to hurt a little bit more, all over again.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3757
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I worked the police detail at the stadium dozens of times. Was sweet, two hours of traffic duty before the game, assigned to an area in the stadium during the game, and maybe an hour of traffic after. Tigers paid for two hot dogs and a coke for us also.

For some years the DPD held their annual Field Day at the stadium. The day before the event everything was set into place, including the target boards for the pistol team. I got assigned to guard an empty stadium on the afternoon shift the day before. I was the only one in the old ball park; not counting the ghosts of Ty Cobb, Hank Greenberg; Vic Wertz, Schoolboy Rowe.......

Oh, yeah. I walked on to the field and stood on the pitcher's mound. And for a fleeting moment, I was king of the world.

Lord almighty, that was 45 years ago. And it's still one of my life's happy moments! :-)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i filmed a Big Boy training video on the field. We even got to run out of the dugout which was sweet. I just kept pretending to be the Babe stumbling out of the dugout all drunk. Kept telling people "this is where babe puked". ....I was a teen

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3360
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd - you've started some really good threads in the past, but I think you've "hit a home run" with this one!

Gosh, I am looking forward to these stories about working at the old ballpark.

Dfd

Post Number: 944
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Eriedearie, To be honest, these threads were easy to come up with. I have read some of the other threads and have learned that folks in Detroit take pride in their families,work, the contributions and sacrifices for the war effort in the 40s and 50s. The fondest memories seem to be as children doing simple things like riding the bus to Hudson's with mom or going to a ball game at Tiger stadium. Anyway, on with the stories!

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 452
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked as a security supervisor at the ballpark in the 80's. My friend Nick Toyeas and I had the easiest job in the world. We would walk around the inside checking on gates and concessions, then retire to the pressbox for a hotdog and pop during the game. I watched many of our sportswriters prepare their stories, learning that most of them aren't any better at typing than I am.
Two memories are prominent:
One day Nick and I decided to "investigate" the roof during a game. Since we had a key allowing us access through a small door up on the "third" deck, we managed to get out on the roof among the light stanchions...it was pretty scary. The sight from the roof was phenomenal. We found a number of old baseballs up there, hit foul who knows how long ago, caught in various wires and roofbeams. Since we weren't supposed to be up there, we never let on about our "investigation."
My biggest thrill during my employment time at the stadium? Easy. Part of my responsibilities was keeping an eye on the TV and radio pressbox, where Ernie Harwell/Paul Carey and George Kell/Al Kaline would announce the games. The announcers' booths were accessed in the upper deck, not the big pressbox where the sportswriters congregated. There was a big difference in the way Ernie/Paul and George/Al would deal with the fans. Ernie and Paul were much more open and gregarious...they would sign autographs after the game and answer fans questions and concerns. George and Al were different...after a game they just wanted to "get out of Dodge" and would walk through the concourse like they had blinders on. Anyway, one day just before a game Ernie invited me into their broadcast booth to watch the game. I really wasn't supposed to, but I figured an inning wpuldn't hurt (besides, watching the booth was part of my responsibility). Paul introduced me to his wife, acting as if I had known him for years. So for two innings, I sat in a chair right behind the great Ernie Harwell as he announced the Tigers game. It was a thrill I will always remember.

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a vendor at Tiger Stadium in 1974. Great job meeting great fans. Sold everything from hot dogs to popcorn and everything in between. Had to join the Food Service Union, selling assignments and sections were based on seniority. End up selling ice cream in the bleachers on cold days. Worked on commission, don’t remember what the percentage we got to keep, maybe 20%.

Some of the great memories:

1. Ernie Harwell would walk through the stadium before the games and always had a HI for everyone. Only celebrity I ever really saw.

2. Had to be there 2 hours before game time, so had a lot of time to sit in the stands before the spending crowd showed up.

3. Loved kids day and safety boy day. All the kids would spend all their money the first half of the game, then we could relax when they were broke.

4. They counted all the products you sold, so no give-aways, no free hot dogs, you paid for what you were given, except popcorn. Loved selling popcorn, they would give you a large bag of popcorn and 50 cones. Cone of “POPCORN, 50 CENTS”, When people asked for free popcorn you could fill up their hands and they thought you were the greatest vendor they ever met.

5. One thought always stands out. One day a young lady asked me what I was working through/for, told her I was “Working through life” Her and her friends thought it was an excellent answer.

6. The end summer I got a real career and so ended one good season. I cannot imagine the money too be made in a sold out stadium, if you remember the 1974 Tigers were not that good. Some good nights barely 20,000 fans.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 512
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65memories, there was a Russian language teacher at Henry Ford High School in the late 60s named Nick Toyeas. I had him as a conference room teacher on the third floor of the school. There's a Henry Ford alumni web site thru Delphi Forums, he might want to check out, if it's the same Nick. Great story, thanks for sharing. http://forums.delphiforums.com /henryfordhigh/start

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 453
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv...it's the same Nick Toyeas...I'll let him know.

Dfd

Post Number: 946
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slick, At the ball park (Cincinnati anyway) the vendors don't bring hot dogs out to the stands. Is that a health code thing?

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friends wife worked for many years in the main concession stand, right behind 3rd base. She loved her job and did it well, unlike people who do it these days. Every time I went to a game, I would try to get there early so i could visit her. While I stood there watching her work, many of the players would stop by and say hi to Betty.

One of my best memories was 1984 World Series, game 5. We partied outside the stadium during and after the game. After Betty was finished doing what she needed to do, she and a bunch of her fellow workers joined us. And a good time was had by all.

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was fortunate to be able to give public and private tours of Tiger Stadium the last three years. I saw and explored a lot of the nooks and crannies of that place. Sometimes I would see mushrooms growing in right field when I arrived in the morning. I have a lot of photos of the empty park along with my memories. Ball Park franks were the best!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 348
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here, and in virtually every discussion about the Detroit Tigers or Tiger Stadium, there is one constant: Stories of Ernie Harwell, his encyclopedic knowledge of baseball lore, and especially his kind and friendly manner. What a treasure he has been for baseball fans!
My favorite photograph of my late father is one taken as a guest in the press box with Mr. Harwell, who spent considerable time discussing Hank Greenburg, Ty Cobb and others with him.
Contributors, please join me in offering Ernie Harwell a "Thank You" for gracing our town!

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a documentary on TV about the 1967 Tigers in the context of the 1967 Riots- all going on at the same time.

Anyone see this or have a link?

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 908
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ocean, The film is called "A City on Fire: The Story of the '68 Detroit Tigers" on HBO. A terrific one hour film. A DVD can probably be acquired through HBO films on their website.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was fortunate enough to be part of the Lions half time shows in the late 60's. All three years of High School, my High School Band (Warren Lincoln) marched at the games. The first year, we saw the Pittsburgh Steelers, the New Orleans Saints and I've forgotten which team we saw in my Junior year...

We would have to show up to the Stadium early for a rehearsal with the other Bands. The Lions director of Half Time entertainment at the time was named Graham T. Overgard, and he'd sit up in the Press box and would instruct this other gentleman named Harold Arnoldi to move bandsmen that were out of place to where we needed to be...It was a stitch to hear Overgard yell, "HEY HAROLD"! That girl on the 45 yard line is a step out...

One year we got the honor of playing Gridiron Heroes as the Lions ran on the field...(big deal) It was always a lot of fun, the Lions would hire a band of Professionals from Local 5 to play before the game. We'd stand around and listen to them play, they were pretty damned good.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived next door to a Tiger player in the 60's and 70's. He often took me to the games with him in the summer. To walk into an empty Tiger Stadium was eerie. It always seemed damp and cold and you could smell the hot dogs and popcorn as the concession stands started to fire up.

WHile he got dressed and ready for batting practice I used to just walk around the empty place. Some of the ushers, at least on the third base side near the Tiger's dugout got to know me and let me wander without any hassle. What great memories.

Dfd

Post Number: 954
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there much repair work done during the winter?

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornist9:

Harold Arnoldi was a music teacher at Cass Tech for many years. He was also director of the DPS All City Band.

Dfd

Post Number: 961
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With groundhog day and spring just around the corner, any memories from the park?

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CT_Alum,

I had the absolute pleasure of knowing Harold. He was a great guy and a fabulous musician. I also have friends that played at Cass under Harold's baton. He is missed greatly. When I used to work at Wayne, I'd run into Harold, usually on pay day as we were hurrying to the Credit union to transact our banking business. We'd chat about music for a bit, and I would always ask how his bands were doing.

Harold did so much behind the scenes for many things. He followed Overgard as Director of Half Time entertainment for the Lions, he also served in the same position for the State Fair, and I think he was overseer of the All State Band that played at the Fair. When he left those jobs, another friend of mine, Jeff Cutter stepped in for Harold...Jeff is presently Band Director at Cousino HS, in Warren

Brownfieldguy
Username: Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at the stadium over a period that lasted essentially three months. I did the environmental due diligence assessment work for the transfer to the DEGC that later managed it's demolition. I recall that some interesting contaminants turned up in the soil and groundwater. A lot of interesting items were applied to that ballfield to keep the grass nice and green... We also performed the asbestos and hazardous material survey for the abatement that would come before the demolition. The stadium had really deteriorated considerably from the last time I saw it when it was in use. There really were lots of areas to access. I recall the admin building was in horrible shape due to water infiltration and mold growth (that's what happens when your roof is shot). The smell was bad and we tended to wear respirators with organic vapor cartridges just to avoid the smell in the former office areas.

We did have fun running the bases and I collected a small bag of soil from the pitcher's mound for the memories. I recall that the security guard who let us in was arrested for selling items or letting people in to remove logos, etc. for 20 bucks a pop (what a fool...).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.