Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » WHY? » Archive through December 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1:45 am Sunday, an Oak Park Police Officer was murdered in the line of duty.

No mention here; seems odd - that's all.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 891
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe because this isn't a newspaper?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3631
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw it on Oak ParkYes.com...

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wondered why no mention of that here either. Very sad, and such a waste. The officer's infant daughter won't even remember her father. My father was a DPD cop for 30 years, and incidents make me sick to my stomach. I don't know why, in todays society, andyone even wants that job. Seems as though no one much appreciates them at all. And the shooters aunt wants to hear "both sides" of the story. As if there is any thing that justifies shooting that young man in the head. From what I have heard so far, it sounds like the officer was doing him a favor by trying to release him to an adult, instead of taking him in. Bastard

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 640
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a 16 year old(cody HS student) (had no license) who the officer was taking to an adult.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbred...so-true & so-sad; still don't understand why the suspect was not handcuffed prior to transport - even if the officer was simply cutting him a break.

Many, many questions & likely beguiling answers

(Message edited by chuckjav on December 29, 2008)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Officer didn't call in the reason for pulling him over and didn't call in that he was walking him into the apartment complex.

I'd like to hear the other side of the story before deciding what happened.

Not cool that someone died, but I don't think we should automatically jump to conclusions without all the data.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5257
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbred, my Dad was on the DPD for 37 years, from '36-'73 and every time I hear a story like this, I get that sinking feeling in my stomach, too. That poor officer and his family; all he was trying to do was give that kid a break.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, I bet our dads crossed paths somewhere in those years. My dad worked at a variety of precincts and at headquaters. My dad retired in "83. He last worked in Accident Prevention Bureau. Where did you live in the city? My heart breaks for the family of the officer. 2 members of my daughter in law's family are cops in Oak Park. They are heart sick today.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imagine how the victim's family feels when they see news interviewing the shooter's family members saying how good he was, went to church, got good grades, etc. It's heartless. Shouldn't they be showing some concern and compassion for the fatherless baby and husbandless wife? In comparison, the victim's family was more gracious.

Jcole

Post Number: 5258
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitB, I lived at 7 and Kelly. My dad was at headquarters when he retired. He was an Inspector. He had been at 15, 5, City-County Bldg where he ran the License Bureau, and way back, at Hastings ST.
I can imagine how heartsick they are. I know how close a community the police are. We lived on a block with about 5 cops, and they watched out for each other.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were on the west side, Telegraph and Schoolcraft. There were mostly cops on my street, with a few firefighters thrown in for good measure! Always felt pretty safe there. Classic, you are right. All that "he is a good boy" crap infuriates me. Good boys don't shoot anyone in the head a point blank range, now do they? Where is the outrage and sorrow for the officer's family?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 949
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Imagine how the victim's family feels when they see news interviewing the shooter's family members saying how good he was, went to church, got good grades, etc. It's heartless. Shouldn't they be showing some concern and compassion for the fatherless baby and husbandless wife? In comparison, the victim's family was more gracious.

Agreed, however, i try to keep in mind that we're most likely seeing clips of answers to questions like 'tell me about the suspect'. They may never show - or even ask - the suspect's family's comments regarding the victim.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes...and unfortunately, a qualified attorney would be instructing family members to take full advantage of media attention by making copious positive comments about the suspect.
This creates doubt in the minds of potential jurors.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 704
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

life

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhat off topic, but is Detroit the only PD in the area that has two police officers per car?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some background on the pros and cons of two officers in a car. Few local departments can afford to run patrols with two officers per car.

http://www.fcpp.org/main/publi cation_detail_print.php?PubID= 178

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 978
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the perp's aunt saying what a good, church boy he was and it was very sickening.

Here the cop was trying to cut the piece of shit a brake, and he gets killed for it.

I hope they lock him up for life, he doesn't deserve to be released.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its doubled fucked up that this cop was trying to take this kid home and not book him. This is going to alter how police departments handle minors for the whole region, no more Mr. Nice Guy, thats for sure.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not understand how anyone cand defend this thug's action. His aunt is obviously a model citizen just like her punk nephew. That boy should hang for us! Want to hear the other side of the story? Are you fucking kidding me? This lil shit shot an officer, the other side of the story has no merit anymore. Hang him, hang him, hang him!

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This kid will maybe get life if tried as an adult or paroled at 21 if he is tried as a juvie and all he did is murder someone, no death penalty here, unless of course you are an unborn baby. In that case you can be murdered for doing nothing.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scooter you are absolutely right...his mother on t.v. last night talking about how people THINK they KNOW what her son did. The officer is dead, shot with his own gun, and her son DID DO THAT...case closed. All that crap about this being a good, church going kid...blah, blah blah. I bet the officer went to church too, now his wife and daughter will bury him from that church tomorrow. No mercy for cop killers!

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just another example of how of this country's lifestyle choices and lack of responsibility run rampant. Its not my fault I shot that officer, I went to church. Its not my fault I smoke weed and ditch school, I go to church. Just for once I want to see someone stand up and admit responsibility. Take responsibilty for your actions.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The young shooter on t.v. this morning sure didn't look too bothered or remorseful at all. Whatever church he was supposedly going to apparently didn't do a very good job teaching him anything.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The young shooter on t.v. this morning sure didn't look too bothered or remorseful at all. Whatever church he was supposedly going to apparently didn't do a very good job teaching him anything.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'detroitbred' stated...

quote:

How is he suppose to look? Just curious? How do you know what he is feeling inside?

While I'm not justifying the young brotha's act of violence, the limited information to which we know, he certainly appears to have gotten himself into something that is above his bewildered mental state. I am willing to wait this one out to hear the entire story behind his violent reaction.

Many young Black Africans in amerikkka' grow up fearing the sight and the behavior of a police officer. To be sure, there is a history of systemic abuse and unjust when we speak about the 'police experience' imposing their power toward the Black experience.

Fear could have something to do with the young brotha's reaction.

Let's wait this out before we totally bash the young brotha'.

blksoul_atcha!
We are the ones we have been waiting on!

Jcole

Post Number: 5260
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Fear could have something to do with the young brotha's reaction."
I really don't care if the little scumbag was scared or not. He had already been pulled over and was being taken to mama, not jail, so how is reaction justified or even understandable?

"Many young Black Africans in amerikkka' grow up fearing the sight and the behavior of a police officer."
The 'behavior' of this officer seems real threatening, doesn't it? Taking the kid to an adult instead of throwing his ass in jail where it belonged. My dad used to give kids breaks like that all the time. He'd take away their weed, and take them home to mom and dad. Thank God none of them was ever 'frightened' by this behavior.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give the kid a fair trial. If convicted, life with no parole. I'd rather see the death penalty for child killers and cop killers.
Spare us the "he's a good kid" baloney. It already appears that he has an assault history. He had no business driving without a license.
A wife and child will spend their own life term, without the husband and father they deserve.
If the accused has "gotten himself into something that is above his bewildered state", who put him in that position? If he indeed chose to break the law by driving without a license, and if he chose to wrestle with the officer, whose fault is his situation?
If he is found guilty, I hope someone does "totally bash the young brotha'".

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. There are a lot of d-u-m-b people on this forum. A cop got shot. What other side do you need to hear? The cop bullied him? The cop called him a name? WTF? Are you people ignorant. Rhetorical question.

This "kid" went through the motions of pulling the trigger(on a cop no less) and thought that was OK. What dumb F raised him to think that was OK? People need to start getting smart. This kid and his family should all get sent away from society for ever. They need to not be a part of it and spread their dumb views on people who are not dumb. There is no more room in society for people like this.

That's my opinion. An opinion of a non violent person. Hey if I get busted by the cops I'm gonna go through the motions. Not shoot someone. C'mon. People need to get educated STAT. The educated world has no room for the uneducated. The poor communities need good role models. I also don't understand how black people will stand up for this just because he's black. "They want to know the whole story"... Respect life. Including your own. Hows' that for a story.

(Message edited by kingofdetroit on December 30, 2008)

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could just see this row of people jumping for joy if the judge were to say:

"You are guilty of nothing, you are free to go"...

I wouldn't even show up if a family member or friend of mine shot a cop in the head robbing his 1yr old child and wife of their father/husband.

No respect at all. Try him as an adult and get him out of society. People like this can't play nice with the rest of us. They're too dumb.

(Message edited by kingofdetroit on December 30, 2008)