Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit light rail link may be only the beginning for mass transit » Archive through January 06, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 672
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The question isn't "should we choose between building roads/sidewalks or light rail?"; it's "does Detroit have a great need for MORE transportation infrastructure?" I would be just as opposed to the construction of another highway.

To spend $10.5 BILLION (Gasp!) on this project when the population is declining is misguided. Putting two rails down a street is not going make houses magically sprout up throughout this vast city.

We have more pressing needs than transportation.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 889
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on the contrary, Retroit, NOT having that infrastructure puts us at a competitive disadvantage to other regions that do. So while that house might not "magically" appear because of the rail line, a new business might. That new business needs employees and then those employees build that house (or buy an old one and fix it up).

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters need more transportation options. Although a majority of Metro Detroiters get around with cars, a significant portion of the population relies on things like bus service, bicycling or even (gasp!) walking. Metro Detroit has invested plenty in its road system while letting its mass transit and alternative transit (bike lanes, trails, sidewalks) systems to wither for decades. There is plenty of demand for mass and alternative means of transportation here. SMART, DDOT, AATA and Amtrak ridership numbers have been on the upswing for years. We should be investing in meeting this demand. Also, its been proven again and again that mass transit systems, especially rail-based ones, have spurred massive amounts of economic growth, development and dramatically increased property values. So no "Putting two rails down a street is not going make houses magically sprout up" but the permanence of those rails entices more developers to build denser housing around the stations. It happens everywhere else in the world and it will happen here.

Investing in improving mass transit is one of our most pressing needs right now, especially in the city. Plus that $10.5 billion is investment planned for the next 20 years, not in 2009 alone. Although I am sure everybody would cheer having most of that money spent now in this economy.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3656
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>We have more pressing needs than transportation.

You don't.

No transportation = no city

Retroit

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's take a look where most new homes and businesses are being built. Hmmm...no light rail, no buses, no bike lanes, even the sidewalks are vanishing!

Let's take a look at cities that have mass transit: Yes, they do seem to have a lot of businesses along the routes. However, they have a lot of businesses everywhere else.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against sidewalks, bike lanes, and buses. And I'm not against mass transit when there is a need for it. But $10.5 billion is a lot of money. Even $525 million over 20 years is a lot of money.

Divide $10.5 billion by the number of people who will use this system. Even if every resident of Detroit (850,000) rode the system, it would equal $12,352.94! Gasp!

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT NEWS EDITORIAL
Here is an article form the Detroit News in which they asked,
Essay: Is mass transit in Metro Detroit for real this time?
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20090105/O PINION01/901050407/1008
I thought the article was excellent overview on Mass transit in Detroit.
The article comes with a video interview with John Hertel the "transit czar" of Metro Detroit. With James David Dickson (the writer of the article)as the narrator.
http://info.detnews.com/video/ index.cfm?id=2989

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4128
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Divide $10.5 billion by the number of people who will use this system. Even if every resident of Detroit (850,000) rode the system, it would equal $12,352.94! Gasp!

Consider that DDOT carries 140,000 people every weekday on its limited existing service on unreliable buses, and another 40,000 ride the extremely limited SMART buses, and your numbers become patently absurd.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just glad there's a chance we're going to join the rest of the civilized world.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sg. thanks for the links.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 773
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I beg to differ:

The Woodward line could be an instant success, if the city and smart bus limit the amount of bus service along Woodward. I thinkthat would jumpstart the light rail.

<313>

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think our region does need more transit options including mass transit but I find it ironic that many of the arguments used about how this rail line will spur growth/homes/businesses etc. all around it are many of the same arguments used decades ago for another mass transit system............the people mover.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Transit systems have to go somewhere or they don't spur shit. That's the People Mover's problem. When you look at real transit systems in cities that have them, they produce corridors of concentrated growth along the lines.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear's point is exactly correct. The People Mover is a carnival ride. It was supposed to connect other things that were never built, and the People Mover management chooses not to be a part of the overall transit system (such as not accepting transfers).

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit, don't worry about it. It's not likely to happen here anyhow. Even if it did, it won't be in our lifetime . . .

Dove7
Username: Dove7

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've taken mass transit planning courses at college (civil engineer) and every class ended the same way. The professors told us their is not a single mass transit system in the united states that makes money or even comes close to breaking even. NY city comes the closest to breaking even because it runs at 100% capacity most of the time. I've taken 3 classes at two different colleges and the same comment is made every time, so this looks like another hole the state of michigan is digging for itself."

I don't know if that applies to every city. I live in the San Francisco/Berkeley Bay area; the transit here is doing very well. As a matter of fact they're talking about expanding it down to San Jose, Ca. That's a little over an hour from me.

Detroit isn't the heart of southeastern Michigan anymore, although it is the most populated city in Michigan. There aren't jobs to keep people riding in and out of the city to keep it going and pay to keep it running.

I haven't been around Detroit in 5 years, so I don't know what the politics are like in both Detroit and Lansing, but last that I checked back during 2003, politics was the stumbling block that kept the transit from becoming a reality. Sad.

(Message edited by dove-7 on January 06, 2009)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no argument among professionals about this, it's just a simple fact: transit systems cost money. There is no transit system anywhere in the Americas that recovers the entire cost of its operation through the farebox. Transit is a government-subsidized service.

So are the public library, public schools, the fire department, the parks, and on and on.

The question isn't "do we want the government to subsidize transit". It already does; DDOT is supported by City taxpayers and SMART is supported by a regional millage, and both systems get some state and federal funding. The question is, do we want to continue to have the worst public transportation of any major urban area on the North American continent, or do we want something better?

If we want something better, of course it will cost us all more than what we have and pay for now. Better things usually cost more than things which aren't as good.

Dove7

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DaninDc: "If you provide good transit service to a corridor, it suddenly becomes a much more attractive place to live and do business. I would expect, as numerous other cities have, to see investment cropping up within a 10-minute walk radius of light rail stations--PROVIDED that zoning allows for it!"

That's easier said than done. Remember, Detroit was once the heart of Michigan, so it was much easier to do back then what many Detroit residents want today. The later is difficult to do because there isn't an economy or enough business to make this happen. Doing something like this and Detroit suddenly thriving along with the transit is like me playing the lottery and holding my breath waiting for that 5 plus million dollar ticket to turn into cash. It can happen, but the odds are very slim. Detroit needs find a way to become a 21st century city where business will beg to move in.

It's your politics and the auto. industry that has things messed up back there. No one, including suburbs vs city wants to come together and work on a must have if they want to see both Detroit and the rest of South eastern Michigan survive.

Dove7

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The question isn't "do we want the government to subsidize transit". It already does; DDOT is supported by City taxpayers and SMART is supported by a regional millage, and both systems get some state and federal funding. The question is, do we want to continue to have the worst public transportation of any major urban area on the North American continent, or do we want something better?

If we want something better, of course it will cost us all more than what we have and pay for now. Better things usually cost more than things which aren't as good."

And the most important question, "Is the government and the suburbs are willing to work together?" Now that the Big 3 is up shit creek, it's going to make it harder for them to keep this from happening like in the past.

Danindc

Post Number: 4131
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit isn't the heart of southeastern Michigan anymore, although it is the most populated city in Michigan.

Half the population of Michigan--a large state--lives in Southeast Michigan. If that's not the heart, I don't know what is.

quote:

There aren't jobs to keep people riding in and out of the city to keep it going and pay to keep it running.

Even if unemployment in Southeast Michigan were as high as 10%, that means 90% of workers in a region of 4.5 million still need to get to work. If Michigan wants to grow, it simply can't afford to keep subsidizing sprawling development. It will be necessary to refocus development into existing, underutilized developed areas where infrastructure already exists. Transit is an effective means of allowing denser development and moving large numbers of people in such areas.

quote:

it was much easier to do back then what many Detroit residents want today

When did you take your poll? The current $10.5 billion plan has a lot of public support. If L. Brooks Patterson, a pro-sprawl anti-transit zealot if there ever were one, votes toward a transit plan, one would think there is some substance behind the plan.

quote:

Doing something like this and Detroit suddenly thriving along with the transit is like me playing the lottery and holding my breath waiting for that 5 plus million dollar ticket to turn into cash.

No one ever proposed anything amounting to "build transit and wait". It will take a concerted effort to rezone land uses and target development toward transit stations. Neither of those is physically possible without rail transit, though.

quote:

Detroit needs find a way to become a 21st century city where business will beg to move in.

Exactly. Which is why Detroit needs to start moving away from Le Corbusier's failed and obsolete 1930's vision.

quote:

No one, including suburbs vs city wants to come together and work on a must have if they want to see both Detroit and the rest of South eastern Michigan survive.

Funny enough, the Mayor of Detroit AND the three suburban county executives support the proposed transit plan, as does the Michigan Legislature.

Ironically, most of these same arguments were made in the Washington, DC area in the 1960s. Their Metro system is now the second-busiest rail system in the nation, carrying 750,000 people on an average weekday. The bus system carries roughly triple what Detroit's two bus systems carry combined. Land values and development in the urban core (i.e. return on investment) have gone through the roof. None of it happened by accident!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9098
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan, do you still have those aerials showing how development grew along the DC Metro rail? I swear that was the strongest piece of evidence I've seen for why this works.

Danindc

Post Number: 4133
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^I'll have to dig for those images. I wish I had some ground-level images for comparison, too. Photo 1: Pawn Shop and Empty Lot. Photo 2: Yuppie Condos and Restaurants.

Anyone who has ever flown into National Airport can certainly tell where the subway lines are located, though!

Danindc

Post Number: 4134
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granted, a light rail line isn't going to carry the sheer number of people that DC's Orange Line does, but here's the gist, as pertains to a once-declining, inner-ring suburb:

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/bl ogs/kbenfield/transitoriented_ development_in.html

And here's the part that should make ANYONE giddy:

quote:

But here’s the really good news: Arlington also greatly reduced automobile dependence, providing residents and workers with convenient transportation choices, putting shops and many other daily destinations within walking distance of homes and offices, and shortening distances for those who need or prefer to drive.

It worked. Today, fewer than half of the residents in the Rosslyn-to-Ballston corridor drive to work. 39 percent use public transportation, and over 10 percent walk or bicycle (2.3 percent work at home). Perhaps most significant, the additional 17 million square feet of office space and 24,000 homes have added only minimal automobile traffic. Mariia Zimmerman of Reconnecting America reports that the daily traffic count on the corridor’s main street, Wilson Boulevard, was around 15,000 vehicles in 1980; in 2004, it was 15,795. (In 1980, before the redevelopment began, the county had been predicting that the count would soar to 36,900 vehicles per day!) The count on nearby Washington Boulevard actually decreased from 1980 to 2004, from 20,000 to 17,230.

(Message edited by DaninDC on January 06, 2009)

Retroit

Post Number: 677
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Danindc, for those numbers. I revise my remarks:

$10.5 Billion divided by 180,000 riders equals = $58,333 (Gasp!)

Now, if I were to ask typical bus users whether they would rather continue to ride on mass transit or have a free new car with insurance coverage and free gas and parking for several years, which do you suppose they would choose?

(Absurdity Patent Pending)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3657
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thank you, Danindc, for those numbers. I revise my remarks:

$10.5 Billion divided by 180,000 riders equals = $58,333 (Gasp!)

Now, if I were to ask typical bus users whether they would rather continue to ride on mass transit or have a free new car with insurance coverage and free gas and parking for several years, which do you suppose they would choose?

How long will that car last? How long will the rail line last?

Retroit

Post Number: 679
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Until the taxpayers have to cough up another $10.5 Billion.

Danindc

Post Number: 4135
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Retroit, the light rail line will only last one day.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 890
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit,

You are completely missing the point. Some studies have shown that the economic multiplier for mass transit investment is almost 10 to 1. That means that a $10.5 Billion public investment in mass transit could spur up to $105 Billion in additional private investment and economic growth.

Danindc

Post Number: 4136
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You are completely missing the point. Some studies have shown that the economic multiplier for mass transit investment is almost 10 to 1. That means that a $10.5 Billion public investment in mass transit could spur up to $105 Billion in additional private investment and economic growth.

I don't think he read the link I posted, where Arlington, VA realized 17 million square feet of new office space and 24,000 new residential units in a 2-mile corridor since 1980.

Retroit

Post Number: 681
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Could they have accomplished it without the rail line?

I think that if a light rail line were built in Oakland or Macomb County, it would be more likely to bring in business than one in the City of Detroit, simply because these areas are ALREADY attractive.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(10.5 Billion X $-8)/180,000 = $-444,444.44 + 53,333 = -$386,111.

Your still profiting $386,111 on the adjacent ROI. It would be terrible to do something that makes sense(or cents, literally).