Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Jack's Restaurant on Nautical Mile « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it closed. Anyone have details?

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 613
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called. Apparently an Owner change and they are temporarily closed for cleaning & some minor remodeling...the woman I spoke to indicated they plan to reopen in mid-Feb.

I suspect winter is their slow season anyway, once boating season returns, they'll definetly be open.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rrl. That's good news.

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After watching "Kitchen Nightmares", I hope that it is a thorough cleaning.....

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 713
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess there will be no rap up episode of Kitchen Nightmares at Jacks. Where are all the sugar daddies going to hang out now???

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waves, of course!
Though Waves may be more of a cougar den...

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from what I can deduce, the resturant was sold by the old owner, Lefevre, to the three guys that were featured on the Kitchen nightmares.... I understand it was sold on land contract terms and the new owners just couldn't make it work... so the old owner is now the new owner, Lefevere took it back, possibly due to default of the land contract, none of this is fact, just speculation.... anyway, hopefully it will be completely renovated and not just opened up as the same old crap hole

other than that, I really think that location would be perfect for a HOOTERS, although the puritans in SCS and surrounding area would have nothing to do with it.....

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that why the sign says "Tom is back!" or something of that sort?

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Lefevre

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is some sort of east side issue?

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jacks has an ad up on CL this week looking for kitchen staff.

Hope they do better than those three meatheads Ramsey featured.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Tom can pay his bills this time around.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mrs and I went there on New Years and had a wonderful time.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 837
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The LeFevre's (brothers?) are a fixture on the east side and along the waterfront. They've owned this place, in various configurations, for many years. They're good restauranteurs, but like anyone in the restaurant busineess they've had their ups and downs. Land contract sales usually fall into the latter category. I used to eat there many years ago. I always enjoyed their food and hospitality.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8967
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Jack's for my first time a few years back in the early Springtime when the river ice broke...and this amazing sound coursed through the place. Wow...I am basking in the memory of seeing what was first a sheet of solid ice up and move away, then crunch to chunks...around one of the best burgers I'd ever eaten.

I wish the best for Tom and his joint...may the good times roll there again.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like so many others, we want Tom to get Jack's back in business and running well. The boaters are especially happy to see that he has taken over the place from the wackos who ran it into the ground. We had noticed the falloff in both food and service.
And the Beech Grille, just up the street, has cut into Jack's business and understandably so. It's going to take a lot of work, and Tom is going to have to get the necessary publicity out in the local newspapers and other media.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley wrote: Waves, of course!

The last time I went to Waves it was horrible! We went on Mother's day, a couple of years ago, ( we went after my performance of Cats at the Grosse Pointe Theatre) and the service was right out of Kitchen Nightmares. Ramsey should have visited Waves as well. Have not been back since. Before such horrible service, I'd take my wife there for special occasions such as her birthday or our anniversary. I did like the decor, as it reminds me so much of our Hawaiian vacation. Oh well, never again!

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 850
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been to Waves in quite a while, so I wouldn't know about the service there.

My recommendation is to not go out to eat on Valentine's day, Mother's Day, Sweetest day, etc...

It's going to be crowded, the service is stressed to the max, and often the menu's are shortened. Bad idea in my book, and just asking for a terrible time.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 731
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waves is overpriced and under quality. The few times I have been there it has not been very memorable.

I certainly hope Jack's gets on track. That is a very important cougar den for growing boys. It will also be interesting to see how these experienced restarauntuers manage to reinvent themselves among the economic adversity and tainted image from the previous owners. It's currently closed awaiting the grand re-opening. How they come out of the gates will be interesting.

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to go to Jack's with my parents all the time as a kid. For those of us who didn't see the Kitchen Nightmares thing, can anyone recap or, even better, link to a video?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the other pick-up place out that way, Mac and Ray's? Is that one still open? It was notorious.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 244
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kitchen Nightmares episode featuring Jack's On Waterfront: http://www.hulu.com/watch/4313 9/kitchen-nightmares-jacks-on- waterfront

Bobby_wobby
Username: Bobby_wobby

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to the owner last night at the boat show,Jacks is definitely opening this spring,plus Bobs Boathouse in Wyandotte will be renamed Jacks,I cant wait for warm weather.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8995
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that is sheer poetry...going from Jack's to Jack's on some sunny Summer Sunday afternoon...just Jackin' Off the River.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.