Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Taste Pizzabar: Times Square St.: New or old? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While driving home yesterday, I turned onto Clifford street from Wash. Blvd heading towards Bagley. I looked down Times Square St. and noticed a lighted sign that said "taste".

I circled around, turning left onto Bagley and left on Grand River and then left on the first street, Times Square, where the Parker-Webb building is.

Further down Times Square St. before it empties onto Clifford, there seemed to be a business that advertised itself as a "pizzabar" called "taste" on the second floor of the building behind the Parker-Webb.

The lights were on in the second floor, and I could see some bare brick walls, new track lighting and a few flat-screen LCD TVs.

Does anyone have any info on this place? Is it a new business? Any one know who is opening it?

Seems like an out-of-the-way area without alot of traffic to draw attention to it, but a cool little area to have a business.

(If there has been a previous thread on this, accept my apologies in advance)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a new venue opening this Friday (I have no affiliation with it)

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 808
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building has housed a lot of businesses over the years. Let's see who here at DY can identify some of them.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Currently Taste is upstairs... Premium RestoLounge is downstairs.

It used to be Club Icon before that. I'm lost before that.

Powerball
Username: Powerball

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come by this weekend...please support us. We are trying to change Detroit via good food and diversity.

FYI, I'm part of the staff!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2253
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome powerball, why don't you take a couple of minutes and tell us about the place. The building has housed a string of places the last few years, what makes your business unique.

I don't have a real grasp of what a pizzabar might be. A steam table filled with different pizzas? A make your own place? A wood-fire oven place? Is it expensive? Do you serve beer? Non-smoking?

I new the building when Jack Williams ran the bar, a million years ago. Jack's dead by the way.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 523
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any reviews of this place yet?

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 163
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ Detroit-MI/Taste-Pizzabar/2044 4455637

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Any reviews of this place yet?

There's this one -> http://diningindetroit.blogspo t.com/2009/01/taste-pizza-bar- now-open.html

Powerball

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taste Pizzabar is a trendy restaurant that serves gourmet pizza's with an extensive, but affordable wine list. The average price for one of our gourmet pizza's are $13. We are open everyday, except for Sunday. Monday-Thursday, we are open 11am - 11pm. Friday-Saturday, 11am-2am.

HAPPY HOUR - everyday, from 3pm-7pm - $6 premium drinks, $3 well drinks.

Stop by and ask for Powerball!

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to Taste... I like it. It's a cool joint.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3581
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Powerball do you have a web site btw? if not then send me some contact info.

gphigundergrad@gmail.com

Powerball

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes and no...we have a facebook fan page, which you are redirected to when you navigate to tastepizzabar.com. It has our hours of operation, phone number, etc. Also, it contains ton's of construction pictures. We just added our latest menu to the site.

Powerball

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are thinking about having an event called Wii Tuesday's. This is where we would have Wii tournaments with teams of 1-2 people per team. We had a set of Wii systems customized for the restaurant. We currently have one of the systems up. We are thinking about starting it tomorrow. Does anyone like the idea. If so, let me know if you are interested in coming.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 647
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Idea Powerball!

I don't live in Detroit! (I wish!) but That sounds like a great idea to bring fresh new people to check out the place!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3582
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Powerball shoot me an email at the above email addy...

Pcm
Username: Pcm

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went there last week with a couple of friends. It's a cool place. Ultra friendly staff.

Cheesecake cupcakes are killer. If you've got $6 that you wouldn't rather spend on beer.

Dtales
Username: Dtales

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above link isn't really so much a review as it was an announcement. If it's an actual REVIEW you want, I have one up now. Go here: http://diningindetroit.blogspo t.com/2009/01/love-at-first-ta ste-taste-pizzabar.html

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 529
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I are going down tonight. I hope the food Tastes as good as it looks.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 412
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went last night with a couple of friends. Some observations:

The pizza was excellent. I had the Detroit Red (BBQ Chicken), the fiancee had the mushroom pizza. My friend and his wife had two other varieties (can't recall the name), but they were quite good as well. You'll definitely want to swap slices with others at your table! Our tab amounted to about $100 for four people, which included four pizzas, a couple of appetizers and a couple of rounds of drinks. We felt it was a good value.

We started with fried pickles and cheese sticks. Both were also quite good, though the pickles (obviously reheated - not fried just before serving) weren't warmed all the way through.

I like the ambience. The dining area is comfortable, with dimmed lighting (though not too dark) and house music with a steady (but non-intrusive) beat playing overhead. There are a couple of flat-panel TVs, and it looks like they intend to add more in the future. The lounge, too, seemed to have a nice atmosphere, much of it made up of groups of low tables and tealight candles. It looks like there's a DJ booth, though nobody was playing while we were there last night. It's too bad the view wasn't a little better (the Washington Square parking garage and a people mover track!) but it has a city feel. The crowd was light when we arrived (we were one of three tables at around 7 pm), but it was picking up as we left around 9.

One very interesting observation is that they're open until 4 am, and intend to start delivery service. It'll be nice to have a late-night food option other than coneys!

There were a number of signs that made it obvious the place has only been open a week. The individual pizzas arrived at different times (a few minutes in-between). One of our menus was mis-printed. The staff seemed a little scattered, though extremely friendly and attentive. The checks were hand written (it doesn't sound like the computers are running yet), though they can run credit cards at the bar. The liquor/beer/wine selection was slim, but it was brought to our attention that they were still in the process of stocking up, and will have more soon. I would love to see a broad selection of Detroit-brewed beers; hopefully that's in the works, as I wasn't aware of any being available last night.

Again, I should mention that we very much enjoyed our food and the overall experience - so my personal opinions and suggestions are meant only to help. We'll definitely be back.

Some other things: It's not an easy place to identify from the outside, nor is it easy to find the lounge/restaurant upon entering the building (you have to make a right, go up a couple of sets of stairs). Maybe this isn't a big deal, we were just a bit lost at first. Secondly, it's a bit drafty by the windows. I ended up swapping seats with the cold fiancee as it didn't bother me too much, but I could definitely feel the cool air. Given the age of them, I'm not sure whether this is readily fixable or not. Third - and this is just a personal opinion - I like the interior, but it needs a little more personality. Maybe some more exotic lighting (think of fixtures like those at D'Amatos in RO). Some Detroit art. An interior that'll really make an impression.

I definitely recommend everyone try it out. The food was very good, and it's obvious that the staff is dedicated to making this a new destination downtown.

Powerball

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Detroit Yes! Thanks to all that stopped by!

We are listening to your comments and making improvements. Taste was built for the community, so we appreciate all the input. We are enhancing the following:

-Our POS system is arriving on Friday. So, the paper system is outta here :-)

-We are getting a sign for the front entrance that points up the stairs, which leads to Taste.

-Having weekly training for all of the staff

Come hangout this week! We are stating "YouTube Monday" next week. Check out the facebook event that explains the details: http://www.facebook.com/home.p hp#/event.php?eid=48372724473& ref=ts

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.