Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » New suit help « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 917
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking to get a new suit and I want to support local business. How do the prices at Serman's compare to Men's Warehouse or some of the other national men's stores?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice thing about Serman's is that they are independant. If you act civil you can typically get them to drop their prices. It has been a while since I bought a suit there. Jos. A. Bank @ Ren Cen is where I bought my last one, you can get good prices and support shopping in Detroit (though its not the same as a Detroit-based business).

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 692
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos. A. Banks is indeed the spot Downtown for classic men's suits.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a place in Buhl I've gone that I've had great experiences with... H&H? I don't know if they're still there.

There's also two places for suits in the Rencen - Jos A. Bank, which I hear wonderful things about (a good friend lives and dies by their wrinkle-free shirts) and then another place that seems to be local around the corner.

Seems that the local place around the bend on the same floor any time I end up there it's for tailoring.

One thing downtown has plenty of is options for fine men's clothes. They should play it up more.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two fer one, Mr. Alans.
Two fer one, Mr. Alans.
Two fer one, Mr. Alans.

Furnitureguy
Username: Furnitureguy

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best place hands down for a great suit under 200 bucks is K&G in Flint Michigan, it is worth the drive.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 722
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a K and G in Madison Heights too. Great suits.

K&G Fashion Superstore
32080 John R Road

Madison Heights, MI 48071
248-583-3025

(Message edited by townonenorth on January 22, 2009)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 921
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no more H&H at all.
pretty sure the jos. a. banks in the ren cen closed as well...

Originalg313
Username: Originalg313

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K&G in Dearbon, Allen Park, and near Eastland Mall, too. The Allen Park and Eastland stores carry women's clothes. The older K&G stores were The Suit Warehouse before being purchased. When my brother comes to town, he only shops at Serman's, Hot Sam's, and The Suit Warehouse (K&G.) Although they are not a local business, I would say K&G has the best prices.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 693
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos. A. Banks is still in the Ren Cen. Brooks Brothers was the one that closed.

Chuck_g
Username: Chuck_g

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sym's on Telegraph at about Nine Mile has a nice selection. Think they're Michigan-based.

Jos.A Banks doers have some tasty sales. They're usually posed on www.techbargains.com .

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3737
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, don't forget Joe Porters, and The City Warehouse.

The City Warehouse is downtown (on Broadway and Gratiot) and on 8 Mile & Gratiot.

Plus, there are numerous boutiques in Hamtramck that sell reasonable/nice suits.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 923
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh right, eric! sorry about that.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Syms is based in NYC, where they have several stores, and used to have outrageous ads on TV featuring the gravelly voiced founder Sy Syms. I shopped there quite a bit during the time I lived there. At least in the NY area stores they carry a very wide range of sizes.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you like bold styles, especially for a summer suit, Joe Porter Menswear has some pretty unusual stuff.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9192
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Syms has some great deals, but some of their stores have closed over the past couple years. The one out by Troy is gone, maybe the Telegraph one is still there.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 987
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off 5th Avenue at Great Lakes Crossing. They routinely have 25-40% sales on already discounted suits.

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this is a treadjack, 1000 pardons, please. This reminded me of the ultra cool, Ivy League,sharkskin suits my dad had made by old jewish taylors in the D back in the late 50's and early 60's. He was in sales. And back then,off the rack was very limited in terms of size. So he had to get taylor-made. Those suits were sooo cool!

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nordstrom Rack and Rochester Rd and Big Beaver is great they also have free tailoring

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 354
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I buy all my suits from Orlando in the Murphy-Telegraph building. Get on the mailing list to learn about his big sales.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Find out where Nate Abraham rented that sweet ass pimp suit. I had no idea you could RENT a suit like that!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The betterhalf bought a suit at Men's Warehouse. That was the last time he'll buy one from there. The alterations were a hack job.

Take the advice of the other posters, go to a tailor and pay for a good suit. You won't regret it.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Kosin's?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is a men's clothing store that I noticed while eating at the Caucus Club in the Penobscot - it is directly across the street from the entrance to the restaurant.... can't recall the name, and had never noticed it before

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back when the Prof used to buy suits and such (long time now), there was a very nice men's clothier in Hamtramck. If I'm remembering correctly, that store was killed in the aftermath of the tornado in the late 1990s. Can't remember the name, though, can anyone help?

In the early years of our marriage, Mrs. Prof and I used to do quite a bit of shopping and dining in Hamtramck. Not so much lately; it's not the same, somehow. 'Course, in that much time, things are bound to change.

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a number of things from the Sym's in Troy over the years -- what drag that one closed! Some damn good deals could be had.

Burlington Coat Factory is reasonably priced.

I've heard good things about Jos. A Bank.

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 5:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kosin's Big & Tall is still on 10 Mile in S'field. VERY EXPENSIVE.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6611
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the exchange rate still being somewhat favorable why not hit up Freeds over in WIndsor. I've always like their selection from very affordable to way swanky. Great customer service to boot too.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 885
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The local retailer with the best value by far is Orlando Clothiers in the Murphy-Telegraph Building on Congress between Griswold and Shelby. Orlando's selection hits the sweet spot between Chinese-made glued together crap and overpriced Armani and Versace-type stuff. Hickey-Freeman, Samuelsohn, etc. can be found there. Almost all of his suits are Italian-made or union-made in Canada or the U.S. His suits are as good as most anything you can get from Macy's or Nordstrom, but the price is better. He doesn't have a fancy, high overhead shop. The first time you wear something bought from Orlando, it's guaranteed that someone will ask you where you got that great looking suit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.