Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Michigan Ave. Restaurant Reviews » Archive through January 18, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mich_ave_jay
Username: Mich_ave_jay

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey forum members. I have started a blog called "Eating Michigan Ave.". Most of the restaurants will be on Michigan Ave. My goal is to go from Campus Martius to Ypsilanti and beyon. I am going to try and do a reastaurant a week in no particular order and post my thoughts. Please check it out every Monday for the newest review.

http://eatingmiave.blogspot.co m/

Thanks,
MICH_AVE_JAY

(Message edited by mich_ave_jay on January 17, 2009)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5561
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the Starlite on Michigan near Central. It's Polish food and has been there for many years. The food is excellent and plentiful.

Mich_ave_jay

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I welcome any and all suggestions. My wife being 100% Polish, she'll love it!

I have some knowledge of a lot of the restaurants, I travel Michigan Ave. a lot. Once upon a time my wife and I lived between Tiger Stadium and Nemo's in Corktown and got to enjoy a lot of the downtown eateries. Ever since then I have wanted to showcase those place people would rather pass by then try. There is a lot of ground to cover but it should be fun.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are you Jason & Joan?

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I asked before I read your blog. Of course
you are Jason & Joan. When are you coming back?

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tons of good stuff. this is a great idea. my top 5 would probably be (in no particular order):

Gabriel's cheesesteak hoagies - Ypsi Township
Miller's burgers - Dearborn
Lafayette coney dogs - Detroit
Nemo's burgers - Detroit
Slow's beef brisket - Detroit

Mich_ave_jay

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Oldestuff its us. Who are you? Joan started the blog for me as my Christmas present. I have been wanting to do it for a long time. As far as coming back, we still consider ourselves Corktown Folk. Our life together started there. We'll be in to try Slows & Nemo's.

Emuaaron-all those are great places. I've been to them all, but I have decided when this got started to retry everything fresh, so I am looking forward to a Gabriels's with cheese no hot peppers. Lafayette I can't wait to got to with my 2 boys and start them off right.

If you like the blog please tell people about it. If you dont like it please tell me.

Peace out.

(Message edited by Mich_Ave_Jay on January 17, 2009)

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes Gabriels so special? What do they put on their hoagies? Sounds like one I've got to try.

Stromberg2

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2868
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haab's in Ypsilanti is an old-fashioned place, good food and great ambience.

Jcole

Post Number: 5569
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gabriel's are the best steak hoagie anywhere around here. I love the pepper relish.
Haab's is still open? I loved that place, and haven't been to Ypsi in a couple years.

Birdwoman
Username: Birdwoman

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some Dearborn suggestions:
Crave Lounge (sushi)
La Pita (Middleastern, frankly better than La Shish was, good riddance)
Miller's Bar (someone will bring it up, but I don't think much of it myself)

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a place on Junction just south of Michigan -- just shy of being on the corner -- called El
Barzon. It's Mexican and Italian. Very good food at a great price. The owner, Norberto, cooked in a higher-end Oakland County restaurant for a time, and his knowledge of quality food and service definitely shows.

Birdwoman
Username: Birdwoman

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry -- I see you reviewed (and liked!) Miller's!

Mich_ave_jay

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gabriel's does nothing but steak hoagies and a few other sandwiches. They will be reviewed very soon, but check it out now. If you go at the wrong time expect a line, its worth it.

This is the exact reason for my blog. There are so many great places and I thought it would be nice to review them and have them compiled in one place. Look most of these places are where real people eat. Normal people hit Nemo's and Gaberial's.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1091

The pierogies at Starlite fantastic, some of the best I've ever had. As a matter of fact I have a few pierogies in a doggy bag from starlight in my fridge from a few nights ago. I also have a dozen of their pierogies in my freezer.

On the negative side, I had the stuff cabbage dinner one time and it tasted like a bad TV dinner.

Usually when I go there I stick with the pierogies and soup.

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mercury Coffee Bar, across from slows. They seem to have adjusted their menu and pricing a bit, thankfully, and everything I've had there has been very good.

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'll vouch for El Barzon all day if it qualifies (i think it's address is actually Junction). love that place. Stromberg, Gabriels is worth the trip no matter where you live. it's a standard cheesesteak hoagie, nothing different than most, but it is so good. I've never had anything like it.

Too bad Vinnie's location on Mi ave in Canton is gone. Vinnie's is one of the best subs i've ever had in my life. Thank god for the Middlebelt location.

I love this blog, and i love how it got me thinking so much about food. good luck!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks good, so far.

My only suggestion is to note how people are dressed. Seems pretty difficult these days where everything tends toward casual to know how to dress.

For example, your review of the Roast gave me images of people in suits, but then the picture at the end showed you in a sweater.

Thanks!

Mich_ave_jay

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks East, great point for the higher end restaurants. Most of the reviews will be normal type places, with a few white table cloth types. I appreciate the feedback

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks - What is with the term "hoagie"? You're not on the east coast. To the best of my knowledge the term in these parts is "submarine sandwich" or simply "sub". Perhaps this is something for the "Detroit Slang" thread to clarify......

Jcole

Post Number: 5577
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 'thing' with the word hoagie is that it's part of the name of the restaurant. Gabriel's Hoagies.
It's in Ypsilanti on Michigan, if you're not familiar with it.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 147
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Starlite.
Another place I like is Noah's Deli on Michigan near Evergreen. Try the hotplate.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Liles past Shaefer. Killer ham and corned beef sandwiches. Al Roker from the Today show always stops there when He's here.

Chuck_g
Username: Chuck_g

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a really nice meal, try Andiamo's in Dearborn. Not quite what it was when it was the Chicago Roadhouse, but hey, it's open and the Roadhouse went belly up.

Lum's Chinese take-out just West of Telegraph is always good

Putnam
Username: Putnam

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My belly is currently full of El Barzon veal (stuffed with prosciutto, topped with truffle oil) frito misto with an original red sauce on the side, chile Rellenos, the best I've ever had (and that includes some depth of study) ...

What an ama2ing restaurant in such an unlikely spot. Credit to the owner who understands the basic formula that works: good food, consistent, professional service.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hygrade.

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone last month raved about the Starlite Diner so I went there the Saturday after New Year. The stuffed cabbages were awesome. I love simple non-pretentious places like the Starlite Diner. I plan to go back there.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 579
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we were dating, my husband (100% polish) took me there. It was good and good now.

I can't wait to try El Barzon. I have't had a good Chili Rellenno since I lived in New Mexico. Besides, my husband grew up on Junction, the area was primarily Polish and had a bar on pratically every corner.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, seeing that you lived in NM, what are your favorite mexican restaurants in detroit/metro?

www.DetroitArmy.com

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hygrade deli@ 23rd street