Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Johnny Rockets Disappears « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just noticed this morning passing by the Fox that the Johnny Rockets on the corner of Woodward and Montcalm is gone without a trace. The sign is gone and the windows are covered with Foxtown logo wraps. I swear it was there less than a week ago. It's too bad that another national chain has left the city proper. Anybody have any dirt on a new tenant taking over the space? I'm really surprised, frankly -- as that seems like prime real estate to me!

Username: 48202

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Johnny Rockets franchise was owned by Mike Ilitch. Hopefully he has something new planned for this prime location.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 259
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Johnny Rockets was pretty much on the same quality level as Mike's track record with preserving historic Detroit buildings.
No big loss to me.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 818
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, and right on Chub.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 866
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never ate there, going through old pix the other day found an old one of the Hockeytown beore it was the Hockeytown, It was the Risata or sumthin like that. Wasn,t Johnny Rockets a Pizza Cafe or sumthin like that?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnny Rocket's is a Hamburger/fries chain.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2257
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog, Ilitch had a shortlived business concept designed to compete against Wolfgang Puck's California Pizza Kitchen, titled American Pizza Cafe.

That American Pizza Cafe wasn't there very long, they had terrible service, a sullen staff and iffy food. Same as Johnny Rockets.

Might be a management thing.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 919
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ate there a few times. Found it okay. Prices were actually less than other JR's I've eaten at. Lousy service or not. It's the same old story. Not enough foot traffic on non-event days to support it. How much longer can the Foxtown Grille last?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3749
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's too bad that another national chain has left the city proper.

:-(

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 615
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No surprise. I ate there once...has to have been at least 7-8 years ago. The food was mediocre, the service terrible. After that experience, had no desire ever to return.

I think their fate was sealed, it did not seem like a well managed operation.

Ilitch will find another restaurant to take it's place. Or maybe a wig shoppe?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ate at JR's once and I wasn't sure if the wait staffs behavior was done on purpose or the result of them doing lines of coke in the back room. Annoying as hell.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6539
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've eaten at other Johnny Rocket's before. The only other one that was in the area was at the Star Southfield I believe. It's supposed to be a retro hamburger joint. It's nothing to write home about. I would've much rather sat at the counter at Bray's, the TelWay, the Hunter House or some other much more authentic greasy burger joint.

(Message edited by smogboy on January 25, 2009)

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 261
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At one time , I think there was a Great Lakes Crossing location.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4208
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48202, are you sure it was franchised by Mike Ilitch? I was under the impression Dan Snyder--owner of the Washington Redskins--owned Johnny Rockets outright. The guy has been having some money troubles lately (see also: Six Flags), which is why he has to gouge fans at FedEx Field. Makes sense, though, right--an overpriced inferior product that leaves you with indigestion and heartache.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There still is a Great Lakes Crossing location.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 454
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked America's Pizza Cafe actually. They had a location there and on Telegraph in Southfield. The one in Southfield had a kickbutt selection of smoothies. This is probably circa 1990.

Username: 48202

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DaninDC,
Don’t know who owns the chain, but here’s an article from when Ilitch bought the franchise for the Fox. If the link doesn’t work, just search “Johnny Rockets Mike Ilitch”
I was trying to point out that it wasn’t an outside tenant renting space in the building.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 869
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew it was a PizzaCafe before JR.I never ate there either wanted to try it but didn,t. Remember that one on Telegraph. Johnny Rockets looked cool, guess their food wasn,t.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6550
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the America's Pizza Cafe too. I vaguely remember the one on Telegraph in Southfield (was it south of Ten Mile?). I grew up on Pizza Pizza from Little Caesars and was initially appalled that my local pizza place had gone upscale but the food there was actually pretty good. I remember great salads and a much more diverse pizza topping selection. The wood ovens would also permeate the place and I also remember taking a few dates there.

It seemed unique then.

And now places like Johnny Rockets comes along and tries oh-so hard to recreate a greasy 1950's burger joint. Just because one puts in stools, a formica counter, Coca Cola paraphernalia all over, and vinyl bench booths- it's not that inventive and relatively soulless. And the menu? Did we forget to mention what makes a restaurant somewhat unique? The food wasn't that great either.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4420
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PITIFUL!!! In a area where they could get customers during the Tigers and Lions games plus entertainment. Johnny Rockets claim that couldn't make a honest buck. That's the price a corporate franchises. Build your location, make a profit, if not close down and leave the building to some suckers.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3673
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Johnny Rockets still open in the Star Southfield? Johnny Rockets sucks anyway. Now Detroit has space for a Cheesecake Factory.

All jokes aside, I wonder were there any franchise rules for how many hours per day the restaurant had to be open. I remember that JR being closed even during times of the day when most other restaurants in the area were still open.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What they need to do is open up a diner like Aretha Franklin ran in the "Blue Brothers" complete with a guy who jumps up on the counter to play the Saxaphone. Call it Aretha's Place.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 876
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Johnny Rockets location lasted at least five or six years. Not that bad of a tenure. Have to admit though, the food wasn't very good. They refused to grill their thin and mostly tasteless hamburgers to anything less than "well-done." The policy was written right on the menu. The staff always seemed sullen and harried even when it wasn't very busy. Here's hoping that Mr. Ilitch finds an energetic and creative local restauranteur to open in that very prominent location.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever we'd walk by, the place was closed. Of course, the menu at Hockeytown was similar to that of Johnny Rockets, why not open a different sort of place?

When in that area, I'll go to the Bucharest Grill. They're always open and their food rocks.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Casualty of bad service. That place was always an hour and a half dining experience just to get a burger and fries. If you wanted a quick meal before a Tiger's game, you'd be late for the game. Much quicker and better options around there.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 506
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went one time but left before we even ordered. Right after we sat down, one of the employees came through the dining area with a big bin of trash on wheels -- he actually went through the tables to take the trash out to the curb on Woodward Avenue. It was so disgusting we had to go. We could only imagine that if they could do something so ridiculous and gross, there might be a lot of unsanitary stuff going on in the kitchen that we didn't want to experience.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 976
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always found it wierd that with Little Caesar's headquartered in the building that it wasn't a sit-down restaurant version of Little Caesars in that space. kind of like a flagship restaurant.

Gumby

Post Number: 977
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always found it wierd that with Little Caesar's headquartered in the building that it wasn't a sit-down restaurant version of Little Caesars in that space. kind of like a flagship restaurant.

Gumby

Post Number: 978
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol just like pizza pizza you get 2 posts for the price of one.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7596
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are my onion rings done yet?

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rarely saw the place open for business. No great loss.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 612
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anybody eat there more than once? I can't remember any downtown resident/worker/regular who went there on a regular basis, spoke highly of the place, or recommended it to others.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went there twice, no lasting impressions, just a convinent place to eat before going to the State, er Filmore Theater.

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stayed at a hotel in Cancun Mexico in 1990 that was right above a Johhny Rockets, that place was the bomb back then.... 1 yard beers, lots of fun....

its closed and torn down there also....

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 833
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also had the impression it was never open or the front was a decorative facade. It seemed every time I went by there, there was no one in it and the lights were out. Not necessarily unusual for downtown.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Detroit needs is a place that sells pizza by the slice made in real pizza ovens - NY style.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 750
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't Niki's Pizza already do that?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nikki's isn't NY style pizza though.

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Sargent Pepperonis in the Majestic Theater complex on Woodward. That's the closest I've seen yet to NY style pizza by the slice.
I wish they'd sell knishes too for the true "poorman's" NY subway diet.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 354
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wish they'd sell knishes too for the true "poorman's" NY subway diet.

There aren't enough Jews in the immediate area to create a demand for knishes- notice the demographic diff between NY and Detroit!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3685
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What Detroit needs is a place that sells pizza by the slice made in real pizza ovens - NY style.

Famous Famiglia. Isn't there one in the Ren Cen?

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit doesn't need NY style pizza- we have our OWN style, well TWO styles in fact. Deep dish with the sauce on top (Niki's, Buddy's, and Pizza Papalis, well sorta), and then your, well, "corporate round pizza" a la Little Caesars, Domino's, Hungry Howies, etc.

Though, I can't help but wonder, now that I think about it, if "square deep dish- but not quite as deep as Detroit" is just our signature pizza. Again, like Niki's, Buddy's, and even Jet's.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanna buy a Johnny Rockets franchise?
http://www.johnnyrockets.com/f ranchise/johnnyrocketsforsale. php

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 358
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love their burgers with the spicy red sauce. The service was really slow though. You could never eat there before going to an event. Whenever we wanted to eat there, we would plan only to do that. And you could not do it on a game night otherwise parking was expensive. We have one that I go to in Texas and the last few times I have eaten at Johnny Rockets I flew up to Minneapolis, taken the LIGHT RAIL from the airport over to the mall. Again if Detroit had a light rail from the airport I would be back there more often, but I have to find a ride or rent a car there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.