Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Hertel plans Detroit transit authority proposal by April « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hertel plans Detroit transit authority proposal by April
In the Free Press,
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090128/NEWS01/90128049/1003/N EWS01/Hertel+plans+Detroit+tra nsit+authority+proposal+by+Apr il

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 922
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a new transit authority is created, does that replace SMART and DDOT or will we have 3 transit agencies in the region?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4236
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^From Hertel's quote in the article, it sounds like the authority would be a *regional* authority to replace SMART and DDOT. Of course, it would be possible for a new authority to act as an umbrella agency, similar to the RTA in the Chicago area, and the New York MTA.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 440
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, any update about the private and publically proposed Woodward Light Rail merging? That was mentioned in every article late last year, but nothing since then.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still being hashed out, according to John Hertel.

Refer to the RTCC meeting thread....

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 468
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was right there when he said to the reporter that last quote in the article, that's funny.

As for the private plan (M-1 Rail) and DTOGS (DDOT's plan), all Hertel could say to me, and I did ask him personally, is that they are "in talks".

(Message edited by dtowncitylover on January 29, 2009)

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things need to move along quickly.....why do it take forever to move things forward in Michigan? Too much talking not enough action. There is a high demand for this and theirs no need for studies, look at what most cities have come so far with mass transit. A major boost in there economy through all types of mixed development along the transit route, so why can't we jump onboard? It will work no doubt and the support is there......just get the ball rolling. We don't have much time ......I do want to see this happen before I leave this earth!

Gthomas

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good grief!!! I hope they don't have to get approval from our city council! They are horrible, along with most of our city government.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4042
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? Things are moving forward and relatively quickly, too. You do realize that unlike most other cities, Detroit is building a comprehensive regional mass transit authority from scratch, right? You do realize that there are steps, right? That was a rash post on your part, and shows a fundamental misunderstanding/ignorance about what goes into bringing something together of this size and importance.

(Message edited by lmichigan on January 29, 2009)

Gthomas

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This been in works longer than you think and its really not that complicated, like 50 years lol off and on. You have to think that another 4 years til we see a transit on woodward is a long time and I truly understand what your saying but does it really takes that long......?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4043
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it really does. This has been 50 years off and on because this planning is not building directly on any of the old regional authorities. They had to go through the state government just so that they could be allowed to pursue a regional transit authority. When you have to start that far behind, yes, it's going to take as long as it has.

Your whole tone towards all of the hard work the region is putting in on this seemed incredibly dismissive and unappreciative. This would have never happened ten years ago. What's going on right now is impressive, and I'd hope you'd recognize that. Your post made it sound as if the involved parties have been lolly-gagging and sitting on their hands, and that's hardly a fair assessment of the situation. The process has dealt with, at least, three levels of government, and I'm not sure you're taking that or a number of other issues into account when making your judgement about all of this.

(Message edited by lmichigan on January 29, 2009)

Gthomas

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, you reading too much into my statement...I do realize the effort and it is very impressive. I'm just laying my concern as a citizen to really push this forward and to NOT take this lightly as most city and state leader really doesn't have concern for our voice and how critical this is for our region. I am angry that it had taken this long and I do feel were always late on things. Yet I say, I understand the timeline to get it done but I hope we as citizen has a say on this to bring this project to frution and not let government hold us back as they have done for decades.

Gthomas

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If done properly I would applaud them for all the effort. Here's what I'm saying, when things are done privately I fear for what they have in store. When they uses our tax money I should base my concern. For our high tax here in Michigan, where is it going that will benefit me? The city makes too many promises and yet I'm not that satisfied with how my tax money is being spent.

Gthomas

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what I'm saying, I'm not to sit back and relax and believes ones word until I see jack hammers on the road. I'm tired of that ......so until then, yes I'm going to base my concern on this issue to really set the tone that this is vital to me and my future here in this city.
I'm not a mean person as you assume I am, and I truly do understand stand what's happening right now. Please hear me out on this!
I'm tired of being patient and letting this stand.....too many promises not enough effort.

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GT - I appreciate your enthusiasm and frustration. As Lmich said, it hasn't taken us as a region 50 years because it's really only been worked on in the last few years. 40 years were wasted dismantling what we had before, and ignorin and underfunding transit. 10 years ago groups like TRU and MOSES got the ball rolling, and slowly the momentum has grown. Now it's being embraced by the business community and some regional leaders. But there still is a long way to go.

If you want to help, get involved. Join TRU, attend one of their upcoming project meetings. Read their website to get the background and news. I joined a while ago and have volunteered for some things and it's always been worthwhile.

Politicians and leaders have their part to play, but it takes the public to keep things going. We've got to keep the pressure, recruit our friends, family and neighbors, and make sure the media keep the coverage going.

If it makes you feel any better, newer systems like Dallas, Houston, Denver, St. Louis, Minneapolis, and even Portland all took about 10 years to go from planning to opening. So far we're on schedule if since the real official planning only started 2-3 years ago.

I know how you feel, though, it can't come any sooner! :-)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's also worth pointing out that this is the first time in modern history that we've had a regionally approved transit plan. Everything else we've ever tried to do has been in the form of a one-off ad hoc project, as in "Gee, let's build a subway on Woodward!"

Federal transportation money, in every realm, goes to pay for projects that are part of an approved plan. So, up to now, there was no legitimate way for us to even ask Uncle Sugar for money for transit projects.

All three of the "live" transit projects - the DDOT and private Woodward plans, which certainly will merge somehow, and the Detroit/Airport/Ann Arbor commuter rail - are a part of the approved regional plan, so at least we have achieved a starting point. Next, per the Freep article, is a comprehensive regional transit authority that can build and operate it (and, I suppose, operate the systems that exist today).

Mr. Hertel is sort of uniquely qualified to be where he is right now, because he was an important part of the only successful regional governmental effort of any kind in southeast Michigan - the Metro Parks. What is the Huron-Clinton Metropolitan Authority but a regionally funded government entity, which operates facilities throughout the region that benefit the public, and is very highly regarded?

If we can get to where we have a transit agency that is as well-thought-of as the Metro Parks system, we've really achieved something. So I'm very excited by all of this. At the same time, I certainly understand Gthomas' frustration; it's taken a long time and a lot of work to get to where we are now, and there's more work ahead.

If you agree with the Prof that this is important stuff, take the time to write (snail-mail) your city council, mayor, and state rep and senator and ask for support for the creation of, and funding for, a regional transit system.

Gthomas

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly will and I will email wdiv station if I have to inform metro-detroit how critical this is to our economy and further growth of our city and state as a whole. How this will benefit us in the long run.

Gthomas

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly will and I will email wdiv station if I have to inform metro-detroit how critical this is to our economy and further growth of our city and state as a whole. How this will benefit us in the long run.

Gthomas

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some folks say we don't care about our city and we want to stay the way we are.....maybe so, for some folks but not me and its plenty of citizens that feel the same way about this. I believe that there's more citizens who care about our basic services and wants improvment in area of our langscape. Politics has taken over us since the 80's and our voice is overshadow'd by this.....it can be change and it will sooner than later if I have to go protest at the state capital.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 488
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtowncitylover, were you the person who had a notepad, standing next to John Gallagher fron the FREEP? I was there too. I was the person who asked Mr. Hertel if the two groups decided on curbside or a median based system.(Still in negotiation).

If we didn't have to aks for Federal $, things could get done quicker, yes. Applying for Fed $ requires a lot of jumping through hoops and working the process. I want to see a plan soon too but not at the cost of a poorly planned/executed system.

Mr. Hertel has been thorough and detail oriented to make sure we do not miss any steps. Good.

Gthomas

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would prefer median streecars, surrounded by landscape on the outside frame.....would hate to see just concrete wall around the track. Force citizens to use crosswalks and end jaywalking. I think it will create more foot traffic. Think about it.....

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 470
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh no, but I was the kid who asked about DTOGS and M-1 merging. I remember your question, your face not so much. I know of whom you are speaking, though

Gthomas

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer median base lightrail line surrounded by landscaping, for many reasons. It eliminates jaywalking and forces citizens to use crosswalks which I believe will create more foot traffic along the routes, great for woodward in many ways. Think about it......

Gthomas

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How will this effect the American Thanksgiving Day Parade, a strong Detroit historic event that might be interupted for years around construction of this project. Any concerns.....?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4050
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'd probably just take it down another avenue. This would be far from the first time the parade was effected by construction.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3583
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm I got alot of good information at the meeting. Especially the part when it was said that when the LRT line from New Center northwards begins or completes construction then the privatley funded/owned 3 miles will be turned over to the authority.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a compromise I can live with.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 330
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I thought RTA was in Cleveland, And CTA was in Chicago. And maybe it will be DTA in Detroit one day.

Gthomas

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope the master design of the lightrail carts and stations fits with our unique urban style mixed with a touch of modernization. The design should be a WOW factor to attract people to ride our transit.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 703
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A NEW Three County Sales tax in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb of one half per cent for transit operations and then another one half per cent for the county road commissions is the backbone of the transit tax lobbyists.

This will replace existing funding from fuel taxes to match federal transit grants.

Basically, the road and mass transit lobbyists are working together to raise regressive taxes as opposed to higher user fees, tolls, farebox renvenues and direct industry support in southeast Michigan.

(Message edited by Trainman on January 31, 2009)

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 344
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. I think it'll work. Next question.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 850
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More taxes?...Sure, why not?...ain't got much left anyway!

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 852
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's just tax the other 82 counties and funnel the money to Detroit.

The Obama "Spread The Wealth Around" Approach.

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Trainman. Did you attend the TRU meeting at the big red church a few nights ago? There was a guy ranting to Hertel about the lack of bus service in Livonia and it made me think of you.

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Same time post.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guy ranting at Hertel is Trainman, +2

I almost yelled out "CHOOOOO-CHOOOOO" during the rant at TRU meeting.

Bshea
Username: Bshea

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was me standing next to Gallagher, FYI. I've been reporting on the private Woodward plan for a year now -- we got the scoop on it, and the dailies seemed reluctant to report on it. The Freep waited months, and Tom Walsh mentioned it in passing in a column. The News had a short Metro front story on it in the spring.

I've been pounding this thing hard because I know the background and who's behind it, and it was obvious from the start that this was something different and special - not another plan to end up on a shelf.

I didn't write about the TRU meeting that night because my apartment building caught on fire. I did get around to it in my blog:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/s hea

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4068
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bshea,

Does the private proposal have a website where we can see stats and such? I've seen so very little on M-1 Rail, I think it's called.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best source of information about the private proposal is the collection of Bill's articles in Crains starting about, what was it, last February. The regional transit plan (available on SEMCOG's web site) incorporates it, but does not give many details. The last we've heard is that the private project and the DTOGS project are in some kind of talks to consolidate their plans, and I think we're all counting on Bill to try to keep us up to date on that.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4072
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I figured, but the articles are greatly lacking in any detail about the project, and I'm starting to get that's how they (M-1 Rail/TRAIL) want it to be.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.