Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Jim Shaw Fundraiser « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As many of you have likely heard, Jim Shaw was recently diagnosed with cancer. What at first seemed like a semi-manageable diagnosis has, unfortunately, become considerably more dire. That being said, both he and his wife Sandy Kramer Shaw are staying positive and they are going to FIGHT. We should too.

On Saturday, Feb. 7 Jim's brothers will host a fundraiser at the Magic Stick (4120 Woodward Ave., Detroit; 313-833-9700) There will great bands and an art auction. Please come and support one of the kindest, most generous souls Detroit has ever known.
Event details include:

Saturday, Feb. 7th
The Magic Stick (4120 Woodward Ave., Detroit; 313-833-9700)
$10 minimum donation at the door

6 p.m. - Doors & Gallery Reception @ CPOP GALLERY (See below for list of participating artists)

8 p.m. - Rare unseen 16 mm short film of THE MC5 and THE STOOGES (shown at Magic Stick). This is a must-see if you are a fan of rock 'n roll.

BANDS
9 p.m. -THE FONDAS
9:20 p.m. -THE GO
9:40 p.m. -THE PIZAZZ
10 p.m. -GARDENS
10:20 p.m. -HUMAN EYE
10:40 p.m. THE SPACE HEATERS
11 p.m. -DRUID PERFUME
11:20p.m. -TYVEK
11:40 p.m. -SMASHED WINDOWS
Mid -GREG CARTWRIGHT
12:40 p.m. -THE DIAL TONES
1 a.m.-DAN KROHA

* Rad RnR Raffle & Sale! *

ART SALE AND AUCTION ~ ~ AT THE CPOP GALLERY!

Silent Auction from 6 - 9 PM
Cash & Carry at Auction's close
Beer from Motor City Brewery
Light refreshements served

Niagara
Steve Shaw
Speedcult
Michael Segal
Kristin Beaver
Glenn Barr
Tim Caldwell
Theresa Kereakes
Brian Victor C.
Mel Schridde
Keith Jackson
Tracee Miller
Glass Action!
Steve Nawara
Gwen Joy
Roe Peterhans
Andy Krieger
Greg Siemasz
Dave Krieger
Doug Coombe
Wendy Case
Aran Ruth
JR / Atomic Customs
SK Young

ONLINE EBAY STORE:

DUE TO THE OVERWHELMING AMOUNT OF MEMORABILIA, EQUIPMENT, COLLECTIBLES THAT HAVE BEEN DONATED, THERE WILL BE AN EBAY STORE SET UP IN JIM'S NAME. DONATIONS INCLUDE SIGNED MEMORABILIA DONATED BY MARY WEISS OF THE SHANGRI-LAS, AND THE DRUM KIT USED IN THE "HARDEST BUTTON TO BUTTON" VIDEO, DONATED BY JACK AND MEG WHITE OF THE WHITE STRIPES.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'll be there!

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too.

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there too. Jim is indeed the most generous guy you'd ever meet. It would be impossible to overestimate the positive effect Jim has had on Detroit musicians, artists and business people. Get well soon brother.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just talking about this with someone yesterday. I'm pretty sure I'll be there.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even the Brits are reporting it:
http://www.nme.com/news/the-wh ite-stripes/42398
It will be interesting to see how much the kit goes for.

I'd love to go but there's this little thing going on in Corktown that night, namely my wedding dinner reception. Maybe I can sneak out at some point.

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will be there! Everyone get off yer butts!

Cozmikdebris
Username: Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to call Jeff @ Record Graveyard to make sure this wasn't another Jim Shaw (Jim occasionally helped out in Jeff's store). What a bummer!

I'll be there, too.

(Message edited by cozmikdebris on January 31, 2009)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 542
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there.

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sold out show! An awesome tribute to a wonderful man. We had a great time, saw some good bands, and ran into many old friends. Get well soon Jim! We're all pulling for you.

Cozmikdebris
Username: Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a great time as well. I'm glad I went. My pockets weren't deep enough to get anything I bid on. Meg from the White Stripes was helping serve refreshments. The MC5 footage was pretty cool, but I left shortly after the bands started.

Baselinepunk

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a very good time as well. Good to see that the event was very well attended. I could have done without the distorted music in C-Pop, but overall I think the whole thing was a very cool event.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got there and couldn't find a parking spot anywhere. I decided to mail in my donation. Glad it was such a good turn out.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was sold-out, anyway, 1953. Great to see that kind of support in such tough times.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree Baseline; old 45's of great and rare rock and roll were so totally and completely inappropriate for a Jim Shaw benefit. I mean, it would have been better to have a lap top dj "spinning" some techno or house. Mike Hurtt and Freddie Fortune have such blase collections!

Baselinepunk

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to be clear, I was not offering commentary on the genre of music; rather the presentation.

If those two are the ones who were responsible for the presentation of the music, I would suggest to them a standard room audio sample regarding levels and a better approach other than the "ball-buster, peg it to 11, MAN!". The equipment was fucking overloaded for crying out loud and the left speaker was stressed out and farting; let's be real here.

If you wish to continue with me, please do off list or start another thread in relation to this subject. It was otherwise a very nice evening for Mr. Shaw that should not be marginalized by bickering.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Meg White drum set did not sell on Ebay. When the bidding was over, the priced had climed to $7,000, but the reserve was not met. Why put such a high reserve on an item meant for charity?

Baselinepunk

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why put such a high reserve on an item meant for charity?"

I agree. That's too bad. 7 gees for that kit is an acceptable price. Does ebay still allow for the seller to contact the top bidder to work out a deal for the highest bid?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.