Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Customs And Border Patrol Job Fair « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7616
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Southfield (WWJ) -- U.S. Customs and Border Protection is holding it's first ever nationwide job fair this weekend seeking applicants in 15 cities, including Detroit.

The agency is seeking to hire more than 11,000 people this year. No experience is necessary.

The Career Day will take place at the Oakland Community College, Orchard Ridge Campus, 27055 Orchard Lake Road, Building H, in Farmington Hills Saturday from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

Please note:
quote:

Dunlop said expectations vary by job, but applicants must be U.S. citizens, have lived in the country for the last three years, and be under age 40 at time of appointment. All trainees are required to learn Spanish.

http://www.wwj.com/Customs-And -Border-Patrol-Job-Fair/375897 2

I know this really belongs in Connections, but any job opportunities require more exposure.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 252
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps they could hire some people with manners and a clue.

It would be nice to have some folks actually from this area working Customs around here. Someone who might understand the long peaceful and interactive history of the Detroit-Windsor border. Someone who, when I tell them I've been visiting my relatives in Canada, wouldn't treat me like an illegal immigrant with a trunk full of Iranians.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3582
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a job coach call me on this.

quote:

under age 40 at time of appointment. All trainees are required to learn Spanish.

That leaves me out. - Good luck all.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 846
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Canadians speak Spanish?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3653
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Canadians speak Spanish?"

No, but Mexicans do.

Retroit

Post Number: 847
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So do Border Patrol Agents along the Mexican Border need to learn French?

I would think anyone traveling between Canada and the U.S. would know enough English to say what country they are from and whether or not they are carrying anything.

I can see giving special consideration for people that are multi-lingual, but I think making this a requirement is discriminatory.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and the age thing too.......

Retroit

Post Number: 849
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ACLU?...

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 326
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are you able to deduct military time from your age to get under the 40yr age limit? i.e. ive got 8 years Air Force. can i deduct that from my 43yrs of age to 'be' 35?

the national guard does this because they want you to be able to get '20 years' service by the time you make 62...

and that age cant be right anyway because i shoot rifles with a guy who just came back from FLETC who is one year younger than i and he has no previous federal service...

i dont know that he had to learn any spanish. there might be some cross over between customs border protection and border patrol...

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are all Americans required to speak English? I know that there's a bilingual Canadian one because there are Canadians who only speak French...

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

apparantly americans are required to speak spanish , english is optional

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... must take training on how to be really obnoxious and ask stupid questions

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4054
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, then, you've come to the right place, Bosch. This forum is the perfect training ground. :-)

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would bet money you must be willing to relocate.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4525
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

training is pretty rigorous and coupled with Spanish requirement it makes it pretty intense...my nephew-in-law's brother tried out at 35 and made all the way to training down in Texas and had to leave for physical reasons...however, if you are young and have MP training it could be a start...

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 566
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you have to learn spanish because all new agents are assigned to the southern border out of training.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 686
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All applicants required to be dreadful assholes who think everyone is a terrorist.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4057
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone hear what's been changed up in the Soo, yesterday? Yep, it looks like they are starting to get more sensible about the borders, again. I can get with this change. Hopefully, they do it for the whole border and keep going.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 880
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6 weeks away till I,m 40,and I can say cervesa and si. Am I in? Guess I need to watch Telemundo.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 383
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a cop I applied with the Border Patrol. At the time I was with Fort Worth, TX police so the training in San Antonio wouldn't be bad. Part of what I didn't like was they could transfer you anywhere in the country. Also I refused to learn Spanish.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3588
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no habla espanol ? press 7, then ext. 223, then ext. 327, then wait for operator # 6.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been over the boarder in years. One time soon after the towers fell, my wife and I went over for a promo thing. We were treated like a-holes on the Canadian side. Then coming back we saw armed US military at the US side.

I'm not getting a passport, nor will I get one of those neat "info transmitting" cards they're offering now. It's too bad ... back in the day I went over at least 4 times a month. Of course that was when I was 19 and 20 years old. ;) I sometimes wonder just how much money I spent at Peppermints .... and Cheetahs ....

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they let me keep all the Cuban cigars I confiscate I'll work for free.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 653
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been trying to study the artificial language section of the test and I am not doing to hot any advice on how to prepare for it? I am scheduled to take the test soonish.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would anyone object to learning Spanish? Especially for a job that would involve guarding our borders with a Spanish-speaking country?

On the other hand, the way they run to border up here is scandalous. If they train you to be a total clueless rude asshole jerk like some of the people who work at the bridge and tunnel I don't think it's a job I'd ever want.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My advice? Quit. Focus on English first.

Rid0617, why would you "refuse" to learn a second language? Sounds pretty stubborn and short-sighted to refuse to better yourself "on principle".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.