Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » New Detroit Video I made « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 662
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Rs4-EPmYWfo

It was made on Imovie. . . .I didn't turn out as well on Youtube as it did on Imovie editor. . .

Enjoy

French777

Post Number: 663
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Btw. . . I took EVERY SINGLE PHOTO!!!

Their all photos of mine I have taken over the years!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a great video French! The music was exciting and complimented the photographs. Well done!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 438
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice!!

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really enjoyed your movie. Great shots!!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2942
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that music is awesome - is that yours ?

Edmandu
Username: Edmandu

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice selection of photos and well presented. Thanks for sharing this.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3553
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool! Good job!

Edmandu
Username: Edmandu

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice selection of photos and well presented.

Thanks for sharing!

French777

Post Number: 664
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the song is Right Round-Florida

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 579
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great video! If anyone likes the song, you'll have to wait. It hasn't been released for legal download/purchase yet.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 436
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it when people attempt to showcase Detroit of some sort, they only focus on the Downtown area?

There are many more areas that have something to offer in Detroit other than downtown.

How about capturing the soul of the Avenue of Fashion. How about the variety offered in New Center...what about the stylish presence of the Wayne State area...perhaps the essentials of the U of D district...how about Mexican village, and the density and cultural dimensions of Vernor Ave?

Even more, how about the spotty enclaves of happenings up/down 7 and 8 mile, Grand River, and Gratiot. Heck, even our inner suburbs of HP, and Ham-town have something special to offer.

There are many more things to offer and showcase other than the Downtown area when one speaks on the D.

It seems Detroit 'story-tellers', if you will, only show other parts of Detroit when speaking negative or exposing blight of some sort.

I'd say the pictorial was short, and did not represent the overall picture of prosperity and variety to which Detroit has to offer.

If you truly care about Detroit and what the city has to offer, perhaps once and a while, take your camera outside of the downtown area and truly represent!

blksoul_atcha!
We are the ones we have been waiting for.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3767
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Blksoul_x. :-)

French777

Post Number: 665
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Hi! BIksoul_x I am 17 living in Rochester Hills. I can't go around all of Detroit as odd hours of the Day.

I Love the area of Woodbride, Indian Village, Midtown and Palmer woods. This summer I will make a Neighborhood Guide to Detroit Showcasing all the beautiful Victorian houses and Historic homes that Detroit has to offer.

p.s I threw this video together in about an hour at 11pm last night. .

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 653
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777, nice pics. :-)

I agree with Blksoul_x's observations. With your energy and talent, you could really come up with something unique. Try a "campuses tour"--Wayne State, UD-Mercy, and Marygrove. In addition to the areas in Blksoul's post, you could throw in Michigan Avenue and Jefferson. You might even want to do an Outer Drive tour.

It's a big town--why not highlight areas that haven't been highlighted?

Good luck and keep posting!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4937
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why is it when people attempt to showcase Detroit of some sort, they only focus on the Downtown area

What is stopping you from making your own video of whatever you want to show?

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The endless hours sitting on here, being the conscience of folks like you prevents me from making videos about.... Oh wait, was that question rhetorical? My bad.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice French! Is that song a remix of an older song? Sounds familiar to me.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great job, French. I appreciate all the time and effort it took to put this together. Blksoul and Detroitrise your right, but give French credit for his efforts. Heck, at 17 I was chasing girls around the Scott fountain on Belle Isle after Friday night football and basketball games.

(Message edited by Servite76 on February 01, 2009)

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey French777
Beautiful video! I loved it so much, I posted it on myspace. Stop by and see. www.myspace.com/susie1958
It is nice to se a positive Detroit thang!
Blessings to you French777. Keep on keepin' on.
Johnnie Sue Bridges

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The song is a remix or, or at least borrows from, a Dead or Alive song from the '80s. British New Wave. Nice video!

French777

Post Number: 666
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I heard it on 955 the other day!

Maof2

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think this is the original

http://www.last.fm/music/Dead+ or+Alive/_/You+Spin+Me+Round+% 28Like+a+Record%29

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6474
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777, thanks for sharing these. You never know what good will come out of it.

Do you plan on going into true motion pictures someday instead of slideshows? Things like fountains would be better in motion.

Also, here's a tip about YouTube URLs: Sometimes adding "&fmt=18" on the end boosts the quality of the video. I tried it on yours and didn't notice much improvement but it's something to keep in mind. Google it for more information.

French777

Post Number: 667
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks,

And I will deff make a movie about the Neighborhoods once spring comes around!

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've done a real nice job, French777, looking forward to more stuff from you.

Stromberg2

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B/x has challenged us.....

"If you truly care about Detroit and what the city has to offer, perhaps once and a while, take your camera outside of the downtown area and truly represent!"

Let's go, camera buffs! Show your stuff.....

Kahnman
Username: Kahnman

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great job French777. Can I make a few constructive comments?
1. The video goes to black with about a minute left of playout time. Possibly chop off that last minute?
2. Mix up the architectural shots with more people interacting with the buildings. You have a few included but after 20 building photos I begin to think that the city is a ghost town and the people have left(yeah,I know - no wise ass comments!).
All in all, excellent effort.

French777

Post Number: 669
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Kahnman. . .It was my first time using Imovie and I didn't know how to chop off the end. . . .but thanks tho

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed it. I would suggest doing a series of these. Maybe one on New Center/WSU, Or particular neighborhoods. Maybe on certain subjects like, Detroit Theaters, older buildings, sport venues.

French777

Post Number: 670
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah! People think that there is nothing to do downtown. . . I should show them what there is!!

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a few friends that continually gripe that there is nothing to do in Detroit. Duh. I hang out Downtown/Midtown/SW Detroit at least three or four times per month and I don't work or live in the city. People like them don't know what they are talking about, there is more to do here than a budget allows. I always run out of cash to go places than run out of places in Detroit to go.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777, don't use that "I'm young" excuse. I'm 20 now and I've been living in Detroit for a couple years now, but when I was 17 I took my camera and for a school assignment (I went to birmingham schools) I went down to a soup kitchen and interviewed some of the people inside. It was a great experience. Go ahead, visit Detroit as much as you like, it's a great place

French777

Post Number: 675
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would go to Detroit EVERYDAY!! if I could!

Typical Rochester Hills Parents wouldn't let me go more than once every 2wks!

People that live in Detroit are Lucky!

Maof2

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French, I don't blame your parents...just trying to be protective. I'm sure that's all they see on the news and read in the newspapers about who's shootin' who.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2956
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents wont let me go to Rochester Hills at night.

French777

Post Number: 676
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha Mauser765

Downtown Rochester can get pretty "seedy" at night.
Drug Deals and Drunk people beating each other up.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3690
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rottenchester -

The pool hall was the place to go to find a party, back in the day. "Don't worry, you'll get off".

Mauser765

Post Number: 2957
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey French777, my question about the soundtrack was sarcastic, sorry. To be clear, the video is cool, and for practice its cool to edit to other peoples music. However, if you want to develop this skill further ( and it is worthwhile considering the recent development of film industry tax breaks in michigan ) you need to find or create original music.

Heres the best way to create original music that you own and can use, even if you are not any sort of musician:

http://www.acidplanet.com/down loads/xpress/

Thats a free version of Sony ACID, which is a loop based mixing program. You can find tons of free loops on the Sony site if you look around. Just make sure all the loops you use are royalty free (as all the ACID brand ones are ) and anything you create belongs to you.

Check it out .

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.