Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Currently closed auto plants? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 689
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone tell me which auto plants in the region are closing as a result of the most recent economic downturn? That is to say, plants that have closed since 2006. I have not heard any definitive numbers on which plants are closing and which are staying in operation. This goes for any company.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3768
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember hearing Chrysler was closing the Jefferson North plant (I'm not sure if that's true).

Also, GM has been closing and re-opening the Detroit-Hamtramck plant for a while (I believe it's closed right now).

(Message edited by DetroitRise on February 01, 2009)

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I remember hearing Chrysler was closing the Jefferson North plant (I'm not sure if that's true)."

Not closed. Shift eliminated. Chrysler closed the plant in New Jersey where they build Aspens and Durangos. That production is/was supposed to move to Jefferson North last I heard. I used to go there nearly daily, but haven't been there in over a year.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 886
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford Wixom is closed and the Michigan Truck plant is being "retooled".

Ktkeller08
Username: Ktkeller08

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It isn't in Michigan but in southern WI the Janesville plant closed last December which produced GM SUV's like the Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, and Yukon XL.

It was GM's oldest plant and since it produced the big SUV's it was doomed by summer during the high gas prices and sinking SUV sales.

My roommate is from Janesville and he said basically the area is screwed. GM has had that plant there since 1919, and since it closed the metro area has jumped to have the highest unemployment in any metro in the state.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 654
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chrysler. mcgraw glass plant closed in 2006 or maybe 2005

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Washman: The Durango/Aspen plant is in Newark (New-Ark) Delaware, not Newark (New-Erk) New Jersey. It is a common mistake.

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supplier plants have closed, too. Budd Detroit [Charlevoix Ave.] closed February '06 (?).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.