Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Water Meter Installation « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm planning to bid on a HUD property that is in great condition. I could move in tomorrow EXCEPT the water meter and the plumbing that connects the water heater to the supply are missing. Not a big deal I can get some PEX tubing to replace the copper, but what will happen when I call DWSD and tell them I need a replacement meter? How much will they charge me to put a meter in a $3500 house?

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check your plumbing codes, they usually mandate metal lines and fittings on a supply line to a heater in case of backflow. Can't mount a metal backflow preventer on a PEX or PIC line.

What happens when you call DWSD for a meter replacement? Well, offhand I guess that once you finish punching in the numbers, the phone there will RING. And then someone over there answers the phone and then whatever questions you ask them. At least, that's how I understand the process works, I could be mistaken.

If you're asking how long it'll take them to install and how much it'll cost, why post it here? Call them and ask them yourself. I am fairly sure hey don't monitor this forum, on the offchance someone asks a Water Board related question But I can tell you that posting on here, hoping someone will call for you is kind of lazy AND dumb.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no need to be so nasty, I'm sure peter is just trying to get an idea of what he/she is up against. If you don't know anything about what he asked, why not just be quiet and save your breath? Cheez, did your team loose the superbowl or something?

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What happens when you call DWSD for a meter replacement? Well, offhand I guess that once you finish punching in the numbers, the phone there will RING. And then someone over there answers the phone and then whatever questions you ask them. At least, that's how I understand the process works, I could be mistaken."

In a perfect world, that would happen. Unfortunately, with DSWD, that rarely ever happens. In fact, you're lucky if you get an automated message most of the times. Sometime, the phone rings and rings. Othertimes, you get a busy signal.

A new meter costs between $50 and $250, I think. It did take a while for DWSD to get out and hook it up, however. I just had our plumber run a detour where the meter was missing, connecting the two loose ends. DWSD didn't care much when they installed the meter. Interesting enough, the water was always on, never disconnected. Fortunately, there was a shut off valve before the missing meter.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 920
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Advice from those who have been there and done that in terms of Detroit's bureaucracy is one of the best things about this Board, Detroitchef - don't kill it with your sarcasm.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will more than likely make more than 20 phone calls over a span of a couple weeks. They may or may not show up when they say. I say jump the meter opening with a couple of 3/4" unions and 3/4" galvanized nipples (pipes) of varying lengths (btw 2 and 6 inches). Grab a few 3/4 " couplings to connect every thing.

This should tie you through until they show up, sometime over the next few years. Yes, I said years.

When they do show up, pay the extra to have a new shut-off valve (or gate valve) installed on the street side of the meter. This will require them to turn the water off at the street and blow all the mud out of the hole, but it's worth it, in case they install a defective meter. Hey, it's happened before.

And no, do not run pex to your hot water tank. Too much heat, as mentioned above. Do it right and use copper. I wouldn't recommend CPVC either.

Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I did try calling a couple times but the same message plays until 4:57, when it switches to one that says to call during normal business hours. I wasn't being lazy or dumb, only looking for a little advice. You guys are usually more informed folks than I so I look to you for guidance.

I honestly never expected that type of response Detroitchef. I appreciate the advice on the checking plumbing code though. I must tell you I am a 26 year old female teacher, so I don't know much about home improvement. I know only what I have seen on television. I have taken the time to get my bachelors degree and I am now working on my masters in Special Ed. By no way am I dumb or lazy, and I hope that in the future I can look to your posts as good examples for how my students will carry themselves when posting on forums in the future.

Hamtragedy, I appreciate your input. I am on a mission to buy a house with cash and make a few minor repairs myself before I move in. I'm just tired of paying sooooo much rent. I just saw something about the PEX stuff on PBS Saturday. Then on Sunday I saw a house that needed the water meter, heater, and plumbing only between the two and to the kitchen sink.

Detroitchef

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as my elementary teacher put it..."Ask a stupid question, receive a stupid reply" As an educator, you MUST be aware of the way you phrased your question. It was just screaming for a obtuse response, and you're welcome for the advice about plumbing codes. If it wasn't in Detroit, I'd say pay for a appraisal from a licensed appraiser. Since it is Detroit, screw it, no one ever follows up ordinance violations anyways. It's why we have a billion houses catch on fire every winter, all those DIY guys heating the place with an electric stove becasue the gas is shut off, or thawing pipes with a blowtorch.

I also am a college graduate, am in Grad school currently and have a teaching certificate on top of that. I'm not really sure why it's germaine to flash educational credentials at each other, so that's that.

You're blissfully naieve on a few points:
1. It's Detroit. You bought or are buying a house in ---DETROIT--- and you must be from out of town if you're shocked that it wouldn't be easy. The DWSD is not going to lift a finger in any way, shape or form to put a meter in. Not a single City Department is on your side, they are all working to actively 'get you' so just suck it up. They are NOT there to 'help you' quite the opposite, they are going to be a huge pain in your ass about it, drag their feet every step of the way, do the least amount of work possible for you to the lowest standards and be as anti-helpful as possible. That is SOP in the City of Detroit, we all hope you enjoy your investment, Welcome and God Bless. Their attitude is 'pay your taxes/bill and shut up because you have to subsidize the thousands of others who don't bother' Believe em, I know. I have been there and it's why I moved out of the city.
2. Watching DIY shows and then assuming you -can- do it yourself isn't really a good idea. Detroit is full of licensed plumbers, most of whom aren't going to soak you (pun intended) on the deal. Go hire one of them to get your house ready to habitate, because if you hook PEX up to your hot water heater, all off of some jury rigged, water main shunt, you're going to melt that plastic line with 160 degree backflow and end up with an expensive mess in the basement of your new HUD house, and no way to shut off the incoming water. If you are really lucky, some homeless guy might get frozen in the mess. Or you could play hockey down there, it's all good.
3. If scrappers have broken in and stolen piping and the meter/heater already, they stole more than that. Did you check the wiring and the rest of the plumbing? If someone is going to the trouble of stealing the heater and meter, I'd be surprised if they left the rest of the metal just sitting around. Also, don't be surprised if, once you put the new heater and stuff in, you come home one day and it's stolen again. Lots of scrappers work local, are watching the house to see of someone buys it and are just waiting to boost more metal out of it. Again, welcome to Detroit Homeowning.

Marshall
Username: Marshall

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..."Ask a stupid question, receive a stupid reply"

As a university professor, I shudder at such anti-logic. It serves no purpose and is just plain mean spirited.

That holier than thou grad school student nonsense also does not fly since some of the dumbest people I have met are graduate students (and a few professors).

By the way you spelled Naive wrong.

Cocoabee
Username: Cocoabee

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my meter was disconnected and on the floor of the basement. I think I had to pay a $50. fine for that, the fine stated water meter violation.
Also, if you book now, I think the earliest they will be able to come out is June.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 465
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"For more information visit www.detroitwateramr.com or contact the Detroit Water AMR Call Center at 1(866) 217-2359 or (313) 372-2100."

Peter...try contacting these folks. They are the ones installing the new meters throughout the city. They installed 8 meters in the rental property I work for.

Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Detroitchef, thanks for more good advice! Naive, yes that is why I asked the question. I figured you guys would have a good answer. Oh, the college stuff... Well I take pride in the fact that I did accomplish something so far in life and my job is trying to improve the current status of my city, through its youth. I'm trying to help out my community. I'm not just some dumb bum on here tryong to get quick answers. Most of my peers are standing out on corners doing nothing, or better said doing nothing good. That is all I was saying. Hopefully you understand that I was not looking for an obtuse answer. I teach elementary school. Judging by your response you must work with the older, tougher kids. I must say they are much tougher than me by far. Your comments hurt, oooouch!

Bleuidone and Cocoabee thanks for the input also. Wow, I would have to call as soon as my bid is accepted to get that meter in before the end of June! That is when I planned on moving in. I will try those numbers, I was calling the standard customer service number. Yes I was born and raised in Detroit, check out my name. I was on Peter Hunt from 1982 until 2001, 100% Detroiter if you ask me. But nope, didn't know the city services were backed up like that. I don't even want to ask how long the line is to get a trash bin for the place.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should Page BrokenMain. He's the expert on anything to do with H20. Haven't seen him in awhile, but maybe someone knows how to get in touch with him.

One last thought: Don't be fooling around with the grounding cable. You could get yourself killed.

Garrick
Username: Garrick

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Php,

Use caution with "pex"; it was used in my home by the PO after all the copper was stripped. Later when the house was foreclosed, the tubing failed at a joint in the 2nd floor bath, causing tens of thousands of dollars worth of water damage at the 1st floor. All the floors, walls, ceilings, and doors were ruined. Which I suppose is why I got a beautiful house at 90% off, so it all worked out.

Pex is flimsy stuff and IMO does not belong in a historic house. Copper is not so hard to work with if you give it some effort, just watch where you aim the flame. I learned it and I am no plumber!

And, BTW, ignore all the trolls and haters who feel the need to inject their anti-Detroit venom and cynicism into every thread. I am thrilled with my Detroit house and very happy for you as well. I paid rent for almost twenty years in New York and Los Angeles, and I am so happy to be done with it. Sometimes it will be a hassle dealing with city departments, and sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised. Just like every. other. major. city. in. America.

Its worth it in the end, as I'm sure you know. Good luck!

Detroitchef

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's far easier to go steal a trash bin in Detroit than wait for the city to get around to giving you one. Even with my house # painted in giant numbers on the side in fruity ink paint, mine disappears yearly. And I'm not even mentioning the erratic nature of the actual pickups. I suggest Warren, they have nice ones. :-)

Detroit is an odd city, any other municipality wil enforce the plumbing codes, to prevent stories like Garrick relates. Detroit could give a crap, if you plumbed your house using drinking straws from 7-11, they'd never notice or care.

Best of luck to you, let us know how it works out.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This guy is full of it. Pay no attention to him /her. So detroitchef, do you steal your courville(sp) container yearly? Maybe you are the person who stole mine.

Detroitchef

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I did, Cubbie. :-) Do you live on Rosemary?

My favorite Detroit Homeowner story was when my neighbor bought an airconditioner from ye olde 'some dude in a car' at the corner liquor store parking lot for 20 bucks. I told him and told him, but he put it up and within three days, the original owner was on his doorstep insisting he'd painted the big red X on the thing and was going to call the cops about receiveing stolen property yadda yadda yadda. This is the same dope who went to a pawn shop down on Gratiot, bought a real nice stereo system there, took it home and wondered why his house was burgled within 24 hours.

Being a sarcastic prick is a DYes tradition. Now that the real experts at it have re-located to The Forum That Shall Not Be Named, it's up to the rest of us to suply the daily dose of snarkiness.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.