Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Quicken Loans mulling a third Detroit headquarters site « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just in to the Free Press site,
Quicken Loans mulling a third Detroit headquarters site
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090202/BUSINESS06/90202037/Qu icken+Loans+mulling+a+third+De troit+headquarters+site
QL has a 3rd possable site, that is the Monroe Block.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9292
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jackson, the city’s chief development officer, said he told Quicken he would have to see specific plans for the site before he could give it an option. Quicken already has options on two other prime city-owned parcels, the sites of the former Hudson’s store on Woodward and the former Statler Hotel on Grand Circus Park.

“My position on that one is, if they want to do a deal and they’re ready to move on it, we’ll definitely entertain them,” Jackson said. “But I can’t have all of my sites tied up with one company.”

Yes, the list of companies looking to develop these sites that Jackson has had to put on hold while Gilbert decides is a mile long.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 296
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd take any development project with the credit market as it is today.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3661
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, didn't know the move had been scaled down to just 1500 people

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this also means that the polarizing building that had been proposed for the site early last year is vaporware correct?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any idea how far along the planning phase of Cadillac Centre was? I wonder if a large office tenant would increase that project's viability.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should take an existing building, move in, and at a later date build if its seems the right thing to do.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 611
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or at the least, there's tons of available lease space downtown. Maybe even move into the UAW*GM building in Hart Plaza since that's coming up.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My position on that one is, if they want to do a deal and they’re ready to move on it, we’ll definitely entertain them,” Jackson said. “But I can’t have all of my sites tied up with one company."

Why do reporters let him get away with that? How much work would have taken Gallagher to ask "What other companies are interested in the sites?" or "Are there other proposals waiting on properties?" We know the answer is "no" but Jackson gets away with stating the opposite.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6092
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They might as well move into the primo spot 1001 Woodward, and be done with it!

It was fun speculating last year between the Hudson's and Statler sites.

But this year all this new speculating... speculating... nauseating! :-(

(Message edited by Gistok on February 02, 2009)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8392
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the polarizing building that had been proposed for the site "

i don't recall seeing any renderings, etc

Gistok

Post Number: 6094
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb336, don't you remember those Frank Gehry looking designs for what looked like two 12 story lopsided cylinders on a base connected with the Cadillac Tower? The Cadillac Tower was going to get some jazzed up refacing on 2 of the 4 sides.

Kenp

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that awful looking thing was axed a couple months ago.

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree the 1001 building is great for them now, then persue the monroe block at a later date. Monroe and Woodward block should have iconic towers for Quicken Loans Headquarters and for others who follow.

Gthomas

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree the 1001 building is great for them now, then persue the monroe block at a later date. Monroe and Woodward block should have iconic towers for Quicken Loans Headquarters and for others who follow.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 342
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rehab the lafayette... that could fit at least 1,000

Kenp

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or the David Whitney.
We need to get the 1,500 downtown more then anything else.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUILD THAT SCHITT UP...

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 496
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, either 1001, the Lafayette, or David Whitney. If I worked for Quicken, I'd be proud to work in any of those buildings, and that would help revitalize any of those three shuttered structures which could be of so much benefit if they were occupied!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4373
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of the three the city is offering, the Monroe Block should be the highest priority. There's a missing piece in an otherwise beautiful public square, so something ought to be built there ASAP.

Gthomas

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Border5150.....

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree, Buster. We should, if at all possible, fill the stuff we have before we build new. Otherwise, we're going to trade one busted tooth for another one.

"If At All Possible" assumes there are buildings that fit their needs. I think there are, and at a handsome price. Just need to get a little creative.

Kenp

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a big hole were Cadillac Centre was going. I wish there was a building there as much as anybody. However I think getting people to work downtown is the first big step. They can always build when the time is right. There are to many buildings available now. We have plenty of buildings, we need PEOPLE!!!

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 497
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DigitalVision, I think we're saying the same thing... yes? Fill empty buildings we already have before building new? Preserve historic structures if they can be adaptively reused?

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets bring Quicken Loans in with open arms! Actually, Detroit and Michigan for that matter need to do this with all companies. I'm sure Detroit has a few nice locations for a bank or two or five.

Gistok

Post Number: 6097
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry I always thought that 1001 Woodward would have been a great location for the local HQ for Bank of America (after all the building was a former bank HQ). But with the financial crisis right now, I doubt they'll be leaving Standard Federal's former Big Beaver Troy HQ anytime soon.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I meant Mackinaw, Buster. Damn posting at work and not having much time to double-check work!

Although I agree that filling that Monroe Block in should be a priority, we need to use what we have first if possible.

My gut seriously doubts a rehab from Quicken, though - it'd be pretty pathetic as they've leveled the Statler site, and then if they level the Lafayette site, in "hopes" of attracting one business that keeps scaling back it's plans.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I disagree, Buster. We should, if at all possible, fill the stuff we have before we build new. Otherwise, we're going to trade one busted tooth for another one."

Wrong digital. Businesses want optimum facilities to work in. If we want $$$ downtown, you need new Class A (or whatever it is called) space. That brings bodies, $$, demand...and then suddenly someone is willing to use the sub-par space in the old buildings because their is action downtown.

You need the chicken to get the egg

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I and some others predicted when the Quicken deal was announced over a year ago, there was not one chance in 10,000,000 that Quicken would ever build in Detroit. The odds are now up to 1 in 20,000,000. (Why would he build at Cadillac Centre when he could still build at the Statler site, for example?)

I doubt that Quicken will even rent space for a HQ. Remember, Gilbert wanted to kick-start the development of the city - a worthy but naive goal - but he must realize at this point that it's a pie-in-the-sky dream. Mustn't he?

Digitalvision

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand what you're saying... and agree that top-notch space is required.

HOWEVER, I'd make the argument (and this is incomprehensible possibly to those who've never lived or reported to work in a true urban center outside of the region) just because a building is older does not mean it cannot be "A" space.

There is no reason that the Lafayette, 1001, or any of those buildings could not be renovated (assuming there's the budget) to the right level (1001 much more quickly - last I knew it was bare floors on many levels).

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4069
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworld, I guess it was naive, then, that Compuware wanted to move downtown, right? I wouldn't be discouraging anyone from wanting to take a chance.

BTW, I happen to agree with Jackson, though. At some point, you can't have one company squatting on development rights of three major downtown parcels, regardless of who is or isn't looking at them. I'm also glad Jackson didn't give into the developers of Cadillac Centre who offered to build a glorified parking garage at the Monroe Block. He was right to tell them to eff off.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd, are you saying that Gilbert getting his HQ downtown is pie-in-the-sky or kick starting downtown Detroit is pie-in-the-sky?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4374
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DV-- I agree with you too. Preserving/filling an endangered building is more efficient and simply the right thing to do.

I just think they will want to build new, and that among the three city owned parcels being discussed, the Monroe Block would be the nicest to see filled.

I agree that Jackson is managing this well, actually. On one hand he feels the pressure to make a deal happen and get more downtown workers ASAP; on the other hand, he knows that corporations aren't exactly lining up and if he's too pushy and loses QL, we're screwed for the foreseeable future when it comes to downtown growth. I don't envy his position.

Gistok

Post Number: 6098
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At this point I feel less comfortable with Dan Gilbert and his hedging, than I do about Matt Cullen, his development guru, whom I have great respect for.

My gut feeling is that if Gilbert were just playing games, then Cullen wouldn't be wasting his time working for the man.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4074
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That doesn't make any sense. If you don't think Cullen is wasting his time, then you'd also have to believe that Gilbert is on board and leading.

Gistok

Post Number: 6100
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, you're just over analyzing... I know someone who went to school with Gilbert and doesn't like him. So I've heard some less than stellar anecdotes... but Cullen I've only heard good things of. And no I won't spill...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like the detroitist's take on the situation

http://detroitist.blogspot.com /

quote:

Quicken considers not moving to third downtown site
The interest-only smartARM business hasn't been very good lately so Quicken is only pretending to move 1500 employees downtown instead of the 4000 they used to pretend would come to Detroit. But there's some good news here. In addition to not moving to the Statler site or the old Hudson's site, Quicken will consider not moving to the Monroe block. IT'S TIME TO LIVE!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 615
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My arms are still open for Quicken, but they're getting tired as hell.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich: I wasn't talking about Compuware. Apples and Oranges.

I doubt that Q is involved any longer in the Statler/Hudson sites. It's contract with the DDA has expired by the passage of time and I am told it has not been modified or extended. (I wouldn't trust George Jackson to tell me the correct time. DTE must be overjoyed it got rid of him so gracefully.)

Gistok: Matt Cullen went to work for Gilbert last May or June, just before the decision was made internally NOT to build in Detroit. My initial view was that he was going to arrange a deal where Q would take over one of the Ren Cen towers, but of course I was off base on that. Gilbert has extensive real estate interests (or, he used to) including developments and investments in income properties in other states. That's what Cullen is involved in I'm told.

Could it be that Cullen's job at GM had run its course? His wife works for Ilitch and he's reputed to be in development deals w/ Ilitch's top real estate advisor. There's a close relationship between Gilbert and Ilitch.

Gistok

Post Number: 6101
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 3WC, it was that close relationship between Ilitch and Gilbert, as well as having the spouses working for their respestive bosses... that I was hoping that something was going to happen at the Statler and Tuller/UA site.

The constant goings on at the United Artists still has me scratching my head at what Ilitch's plans are for that complex.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.