Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit then and now on Google « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Google Earth updated today a new version today.
There's a new feature called Historical Imagery.
Download and open then go to [view] and select [historical imagery].
It brings up a little scale so you can zoom in on an area (of course I've been doing dowtown Detroit) and you can jump between different images of a space from different time periods and see the changes.
I was looking at Fiona's Tea Room before MGM stomped all over it.
Fascinating.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6483
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iddude313, thanks for the heads up.

A few years ago I was able to see my car in Google Earth. As they updated their imagery it vanished. I just now went back in time to look for it but it wasn't in any image. That tells me they have more historical data than what we see now. Maybe they'll add more historical data later.

This is great. One of the big complaints with Google Earth was you could never tell when the image was captured. This fixes that problem.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6486
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A brief article in today's Detroit News mentioned you can explor oceans and Mars with this release.

The oceans just show the texture of the ocean floor with not much resolution. The great lakes aren't supported.

To view Mars, click the Saturn button on top and select Mars.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.