Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Broderick Tower Lofts « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone. This is my first post, and my second day on DetroitYes ever. It's funny, I've been living in Detroit for almost two years now and I'm a huge fanatic of Detroit, but only until recently have I discovered this site...Anyhow, point being. I sent an e-mail to the contact listed on the Brodericktower.com website. They told me ( a few months ago) that even with the recession and the credit crisis, that they are still continuing with the renovation of the building and is on track of finishing in 2010. Now, I spoke with one of the co-owners of the new Downtown Detroit Welcome center and she said that they aren't doing anything with it.

Does anybody know what is going on? I would LOVE to live in that building once it's complete... if it will be complete

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

should open about the same time as Shields in the Kales bldg

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3770
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^In other words, like the economy, the improvements in downtown Detroit are on Hiatus.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 491
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is such a JOKE. The lofts are magically supposed to be completed the next year from whatever year it currently is. In 2010, they will be complete in 2011. I could find articles stating how the lofts were supposed to be complete, in 2007, then 2008, then 2009. Don't expect to see this building renovated.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 692
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Dcmorrison. That stuff you heard is what I like to call a Crock'a'Shit.

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol welcome .....I like to live there too, love the interior design work and location.

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, can anyone tell me exactly what is planned at the moment?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nothing is planned. I believe Higgins owns it, which means nothing will happen.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3553
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but exciting and wonderful things will be promised, always just a year or two away... I remember submitting some old photos to somebody who was working on the Farwell Building renovation in 1998...(another rotting Higgins Property)...

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgins is a waste, he's worse than Maroun. I have seen no signs of renovations going on at the Broderick and I have watched that building almost 30 years. I think it is one of the most attractive old buildings Downtown, particularly the upper floors. But Higgins is doing nothing with it and to my knowledge never will.

Unless anyone sees signs of renovations going on at the Broderick that I don't see. I don't work downtown any more and only get to see the Broderick from Grand Circus park, maybe something is happening but not visible from there?? Not holding my breath I can tell you that.

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I contacted the the construction company who is doing the "renovations" to the building. I told him I was very interested in living in one of the rooms once it's complete and he gave me some more information: This is his response to my e-mail:

The Broderick is designed with 3 true 2300sf penthouse units on top plus a number of premium units just below that, and a variety of product ranging to 600sf on the lower floors .
We currently have 3 floors of office space available; see the attached floor plans for floor 2-4.

Two items to note; these are all rental units, and they will be available January 1, 2011.

Let me know if you have any additional interest in the building and we can furnish lots more information

Fred

Fred J. Beal
President
JC Beal Construction, Inc.

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose it could be done if they start like...I don't know...RIGHT NOW!!

Here is what the inside looks like...

http://onlyndetroit.com/html/d ecay/ond-0010brodericktower.ht m

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 884
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Higgins' long record of undercapitalized and poorly managed developments has deservedly earned much of the scorn and skepticism directed at him. However, to point at the failure of the Broderick project to get off the ground for the past 2 years or so as another example of his pattern improperly ignores the recent Detroit market conditions. Lenders started backing off downtown Detroit projects by early 2007 and tightened credit standards considerably. And obviously things changed even more dramatically in the 4Q 2008. It is unlikely that any developer could have financed the Broderick project during the past 2 years. It's pretty simple. The project probably needs at least another $5 million in equity before any lenders will answer the telephone. Anybody got that much that they want to invest in a $1/sq.ft./mo. rental market with dim appreciation prospects?

Brownfieldguy
Username: Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been all through Broderick as part of preparation of a HUD Environmental Site Assessment, Hazardous Material Surveys, and preparation of Brownfield funding plans. It is a mess. I recall the double basement was flooded and the interior is terribly deteriorated. It is to be expected. Structurally as I understand it, it is ok, but will need to be gutted down to bare concrete and steel. As I recall, when the project stopped there were a lot of consultants and contractors who were owed payment for services and were essentially told that they would have to wait for the project to restart for payment. I worked on the nearby Kales project and I do not see success for a long time to come. Although I spoke recently with some Beal staff and they indicated that it will be moving forward on a rental basis.

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I sure hope that you are right about it moving forward (and I hope everyone gets paid too!!)

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 744
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nothing happens, yet they got permission form the city to put up that huge billboard covering up the whales based on using the money to pay for "renovation." That was around 4 years ago now....

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good point raptor. seems like the degc, the city or whoever has authority should make an arrangement where earnings from the ads go into an interest bearing account under the city's control to be returned to the developer when renovation actually happens.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another one: http://www.twelve-25.com/

I was told by a leasing agent a while back that Twelve-25 had been getting tons of calls, and there was a waiting list to be contacted when it went onto the market. So lack of interest supposedly wasn't the problem.

"Occupancy Fall 2008"

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 746
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From an October 2005 news blurb:

The mostly vacant David Broderick Tower will soon get a complete interior renovation.

Owner Michael Higgins has hired JC Beal Construction Inc. to convert the 34-story tower — which has few occupants since the 1980s — into commercial, entertainment and loft space.

The highly recognizable building, which features a 108-foot whale mural by artist Robert Wyland, will be transformed into five floors commercial and entertainment space, with the remaining floors divided into 125 loft apartments. The restaurant on the first floor will remain open.

The development team feels that the time is right to begin the project, says Fred Beal of JC Beal Construction, because of the great success of other building conversions, such as the Kales Building, and all the infill occurring on the Woodward corridor.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/broderick.aspx

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Higgins is a waste, he's worse than Maroun."

That is not even close to being true. Not saying he's a super-hero, but come on now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.