Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » 6 moving trucks in 3 blocks « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just pulled up to my girlfriends' house in the Cadieux/Warren/ Outer Drive area. On the way to the house I counted 5 other moving trucks in a 3 block stretch. Im going to try to take a picture of this later,as it just speaks volumes about what is going on in this state right now.

There were 4 other people at the U Haul store this morning...we were the only people not leaving Michigan.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3229
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure helps out with the traffic situation. This city had too many people anyway.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 618
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet storage facilities are doing big business as well as the moving/u-haul businesses.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sure helps out with the traffic situation. This city had too many people anyway.

THAT'S the spirit :-)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8981
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would avoid U-Haul, and use Penske instead.

U-Haul tried to scam three day's rental out of 40 hours of use...for a dangerous truck that backfired constantly.

Later that same week, Penske's truck was cleaner and they gave me a day for free when their diesel wouldn't start due the extreme cold. They apologized for having a southern truck up north for this weather...no block heater installed.

Yeah, lots of people moving. There is a business opportunity here for anyone with the proper endorsements on their driver's licenses. 53' trailers can be purchased for a song...and sleeper cabs can be leased from Penske.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2nd on using Penske.

My truck was brand-new, sparkly clean and in great shape. But they did not say anything about the requirement to use ULSD diesel. I happened to know, but most people probably wouldn't. Finding ULSD diesel to top off with when I returned the truck was, alas, impossible.

To the OPs comment, it is sad.

My GF and I had dinner at Angelina's on Saturday night with a friend. When we ran into another friend of the friend, her reaction upon hearing that I'd moved last summer was, very obviously, a sad one of "you and half the city..."

O.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I counted 5 other moving trucks in a 3 block stretch"

Are we sure these are actually people moving, or an incredible ghetto heist bound for 5:00 breaking news?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3232
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moving trucks do show up when people move in too, just sayin'.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3856
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vote "aye" on the motion by Gannon, seconded by Otter. U-Haul gave me a real screwing here in Las Vegas when I moved from Vegas to Henderson 3 years back. I'll never deal with those people again. And, yeah, the truck I finally did get was a wreck, too.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4453
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People moving in, People moving out, Simply just because of the color of their skin. Rap on, Brother, Rap on.

Let the exodus from Detroit a some famous city begins.

What a ball of confusion!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 535
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll endorse the pro-Penske rental trucks too. The U Haul at Grand River/Telegraph had a lot full of trucks but I was told they were all reserved for other people. It's a scam as they try to get you in some sort of bidding war. The Penske rental experience was straight-forward, honest, direct with a clean, working vehicle.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 693
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You sure they're not trailers for a film shoot? ;-)

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 397
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gsgeorge thinks positively Film trailers would be white. no logos. cept a small one 4 the studio/rental outfit on the driver's door

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just as people leaving, they're people flocking in here just a much. Most are my neighbors from other states who recently moved here from 10 years to just a couple months ago. I'm bringing a friend from Chicago and Dallas to live with me and open a business in midtown soon.
You will see most of the new Detroit resident that sees the change for a better city. I'm not gone give up because I want to be that change.

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just as people leaving, they're people flocking in here just a much. Most are my neighbors from other states who recently moved here from 10 years to just a couple months ago. I'm bringing a friend from Chicago and Dallas to live with me and open a business in midtown soon.
You will see most of the new Detroit resident that sees the change for a better city. I'm not gone give up because I want to be that change.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.