Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Return of Red Bull « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windsor is footing the entire bill for this.

"Red Bull race will swoop back to Windsor"
BY DAVE BATTAGELLO, THE WINDSOR STARF

Windsor will once again play host to the Red Bull Air Race — this time going alone without Detroit.

The flying event attracted crowds on both shorelines of about 750,000 last June and generated millions in economic spinoffs for local hotels, restaurants and other businesses.

This year's event will be held June 13-14. It will be the third stop of a six-race global tour that also includes San Diego, Budapest, Barcelona, Abu Dhabi and Porto, Portugal....

http://www.windsorstar.com/Bul l+race+swoops+back+Windsor/124 8493/story.html

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well this will clearly be beneficial to the Detroit economy as well, it's too bad though the name won't be advertised. Nonetheless, it should be another weekend of filled hotel rooms and restaurants in the city.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3709
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I didn't even know Windsor co-sponsored it the last time. Whenever I saw the ads here in NYC, they only said that it was on the Detroit riverfront. It will probably still be advertised in the same way since most people outside of Michigan and Ontario have never heard of Windsor.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3435
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windsor is sorta famous throughout Canada -- as an undesirable Canadian city, or so I hear. Ironic from my view, looking at the green riverfront and well-maintained housing stock.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are renaming the river the Windsor/Detroit river just in time for the event.:-)

By the way, we have Rogers Sportsnet, a national all-sports network in Canada, in addition to TSN. Along with poker, etc. they air taped Red Bull air races at least 2 or 3 times a week as filler. If other countries do likewise, these races get huge amts of global airtime.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3713
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ironic from my view, looking at the green riverfront and well-maintained housing stock.

I know it's the undesirable of Ontario... Kinda like how Detroit is the undesirable of America. For some reason, though, Americans tend to like it. I was hanging with some friends from college over the weekend, who are NYC natives, and we reminisced about good times had over there.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ironic from my view, looking at the green riverfront and well-maintained housing stock."

It's also one of the most temperate areas in Canada climatewise, isn't it?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5660
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the Canadian Riviera

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's also one of the most temperate areas in Canada climatewise, isn't it?

Yes, the temperature there is exactly the same as it is in Detroit.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, after reading the comments in the Windsor Star, it seems many of our Canadian brethern are none too pleased about footing the entire bill.

Still, its good news for Detroit. Now the chamber and area hotels need to promote this on their things to do websights.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news. Thanks to Windsor for saving this exciting event. To those Windsor who may question it I and my wife, in our small way, went to Windsor to watch the races and spend our money there as did many other 'northsiders'.

And why not? Windsor has the absolutely best view with the dramatic backdrop of the Detroit skyline, an outstanding waterfront parkland to which Detroit is only catching up and the sun at your back and out of your eyes. The concessions were very reasonably priced and with the loonie's recent plunge from almost $1.10 to 80 cents, the incentive will be even stronger. IMO, Windsor should aggressively market those advantages.

Viva Windsor!

Red Bull Air Races Detroit Windsor

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was kind of a dud of an event --- over-hyped without much action.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2779
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Says you Taj920. It was very entertaining and the drinks were going down nice and quick. I am looking forward to it this year. It is about time I really get something for my tax dollars.

Now I need someone to man the BBQ's so I can sell hotdogs for $2.00, water for $1.00. at the front of my property. Last year we figured we would have made at least $1500.00 as people were asking if I was selling food while BBQing for friends.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I thought it was kind of a dud of an event --- over-hyped without much action.

I enjoyed the event and think it will be better this summer.

Most of the first day was cancelled due to high winds. They crammed in most of the event on the second day. I think this cut into some of the drama.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

drinks were going down nice and quick

Maybe that's why...
quote:

It was very entertaining

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by Chateau du Goat where it looked like a frat house party was in action and got some directions. We were looking for the Nesbitt Inn, only to learn it was sadly going to be wiped away for a parking lot.

Just found this >
quote:

Carmen Brunone and a representative from Today Management are present to request demolition of the former Nesbitt Inn located at 131 Elliott Street West. C. Brunone indicates that the owner is requesting demolition of the structure to construct a parking lot consisting of 26 spaces. source

So we ended up at another of my Windsor favs, the Kildare House in Walkerville. BTW, what's up with the Kildare House. While looking for the correct spelling of its name, I googled up this. Say it ain't going the way of the Nesbitt!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2784
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, they are looking for someone to buy but will not close it until they do. A lot of bars in downtown are doing the samething. The Million Dollar Saloon, one of Windsor's bigger strip joints is also for sale but will continue to operate.

As for the Nesbitt Inn. Good luck demoing it. From what AIW has stated the Heritage Committee will fight it tooth and nail considering there is a parking lot right beside it and a vacant lot across the street (which used to be an interesting building). Windsor is as bad as Detroit when it comes demolition.

Cheddar_Bob, damn straight! I will do it again this year! Drunken times are good times!

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 533
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Red Bull Air Races pulled out last year because of Detroit and it really pissed off the mayor of Windsor. So apparently, Windsor lobbied hard and furiously to bring it back. And they did. Meanwhile... in Detroit... there exists not even a valid governing body... a City so emasculated in its own problems that it cannot even spare a spite of energy for any truly energizing or creative endeavor.

How many more times do we need to see squandered opportunities? Anything ever happened in this City that is, ummm, "forward-thinking" comes from private sector. Anyone else notice this? From CAmpus MArtius, to the WinterFest, to the America's Parade... the list goes on and on... WHERE has any of the elected poiticols been?

Let's examine:

1) taking kickbacks as a normal, daily routine.

2) expressing to the free media a non-existing racial bias ("divide, conquer, and I'll split the bucks with you" mentallality).

3) enjoying the utmost privileged experience of trotting through Detroit's most lavish and wolrd-wide acclaimed architectural structures, while f"&!@ing the Citizens of same.

4) enjoying kiss-ass support from WDIV, WJR, etc.

Well good for Windsor! Despite the reluctance of SO many commercial entities to abandon the City of Detroit (for good cause), we at least can catch a glimpse of what hard work and tireless effort by Public Officials can accomplish.

Maybe this isn't the best place to post this, but the whole Red Bull story just really pissed me off last year when I heard the story behind the story.

People WANT to come here, believe it or not. City Council must be fired, each and every one of them.

On a more positive note... St. Patty's Parade is just a little more than four weeks away!

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell:

The Kildare House is alive and well- the owners got into some financial troubles and almost pulled the pin. Evidently they were able to clean up their mess and the place operates as it has before- same owners.

In spite of the tough economic times Walkerville continues to thrive as one of the most liveable neighbourhoods in the D with new businesses.

Let me know if you want to pop over for a mug of frosty Canadian or British brewskis. Maybe you can lay down some of those mighty US bucks!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3740
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Red Bull Air Races pulled out last year because of Detroit and it really pissed off the mayor of Windsor. So apparently, Windsor lobbied hard and furiously to bring it back. And they did. Meanwhile... in Detroit... there exists not even a valid governing body... a City so emasculated in its own problems that it cannot even spare a spite of energy for any truly energizing or creative endeavor.

Uhh, okay. So how much did Windsor pay to lobby for the Super Bowl? How about the Final Four? Anything for the All Star game?

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 470
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: "It's the Canadian Riviera"
Actually, I would nominate Ipperwash Beach/Grand Bend/Goderich/Sauble Beach as "The Canadian Riviera"!

A radio news report from a local station reported that some Red Bull participants were discouraged by several burglary incidents at one of the motels last year.

Heedus
Username: Heedus

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So did the Detroit city government just not want the race back this year because it didn't have enough bang for the buck or did the city just completely drop the ball on this? Does anybody have any inside info regarding this?

Heedus
Username: Heedus

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and Ipperwash Beach/Grand Bend/Sauble Beach is the "Canadian Riviera." If you haven't been to Grand Beach (40 mins north of Sarnia), I highly recommend making the trip. The Pinery Provincial Campground is just south of Grand Bend and a great place to stay overnight.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 472
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad timing, weatherwise, but Grand Bend is celebrating their winter carnival this weekend and next. Theme: "Benguin Goes Hollywood"
Colder weather next weekend might make the snow sculptures more feasible.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.