Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Slumpy on Google Earth « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found slumpy while browsing Google Earth.

It says "Don't visit". I'm not sure if that means don't visit Slumpy, or don't visit Detroit.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo /4399051

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6493
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also see Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Detroit then and now on Google.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3576
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Click the right arrow just above the house on the right - there's another picture.

(Message edited by eriedearie on February 03, 2009)

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is funny.

I think people are questioning whether or not the photo is real. Verify the location and then let the world know that Slumpy was real. Post your comments when they give you a chance, this could do wonders for Detroit, IMHO.

Slumpy is a metaphor for Detroit. There is an attraction and appreciation in these photos of Slumpy. A building disappears slowly and fights all the elements, un-appreciation and neglect. It stands long enough that people like you on this board can photograph and document while you lament.

Slumpy is an icon for the Spirit of this board, in my opinion. Understand it, embrace it and run with it. The world has a fascination with Detroit. Appreciate that focus and use it as a path for growth.

Peach

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2307
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a fife and drum I hear?

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I appreciate what you're saying, peach, the location shown with a pointer is wrong if that's intended to be Slumpy. It's pointing at Masonic Temple by Cass Park, the other side of Woodward from Slumpy.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and as you said, 'verify the location'. agreed.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also partly the problem that the other 2 houses in the 'picture' on in corktown on 14th street.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>Slumpy is a metaphor for Detroit.<<

This isn't the first time I've heard the term, Slumpy. Metaphor for Detroit, eh?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.