Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit will Rise from the ashes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been living in Detroit for almost two years now - I'm a finance major at Wayne State (junior year). I love Detroit with a passion and I plan to stick around for a long while. Now, why is this? Why would someone want to stick around, afterall it's a "dead city" right? Isn't this a "dirty, corrupt, black" city? Well, if you aren't amongst the many ignorant and irrational Southeastern Michiganders, then you know these are false titles. Detroit is a beautiful city, it just needs some polish. I look around and I observe in amazement, the ruins of this metropolis, but I don't feel regret, sorrow or shame. I see OPPORTUNITY, PROGRESS and the revival of the LEADER of Michigan. Detroit will rise from the "ashes" and it will lead Michigan into the future. We all just need to see the city as Half FULL and not Half EMPTY.

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! Ha! Why dont you pass that stuff you are smoking around, so we all can have that psychedelic delusion.

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason I say Detroit will lead Michigan into the future is (among others) the fact that Michigan will never progress without Detroit progressing. You cannot have a successful state without a successful major city. Detroit has no option but to be Michigan's powerhouse. Somehow and someway, the younger generation (me) will catch on and invest in this city - spurring the revitalization even more so than what we've seen. If not, then say goodbye to Southeastern Michigan, and Michigan itself. What's Birmingham without it's City? What's Bloomfield Hills without Detroit? In fact, where would any of the suburbs in Southeastern Michigan be if Detroit hadn't been around in the first place? There wouldn't be any and there won't continue to be any if Detroit continues down a path of destruction. People may say Detroit is dying, but if that's true, then so is everything surrounding it and the State too. Now do you think truly think Southeastern Michigan will die? I don't but that's because I don't see Detroit dying.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forums! We always need more positive people.

I would argue that Detroit has already risen, and it did it being ethnically diverse. Considering how bad it was, it's come a long way, and it's the current residents who did most of it. Detroiter's should be proud of the things they have accomplished against all odds. The global economic issues came at a bad time, but so far, Detroit has stayed afloat. Detroit has a strong foundation, and will never topple.

Now...

We know what has to be done. All we have to do is suck out the poison and act. What happens next is not written. Detroit is writing it's own destiny. Isn't it amazing to just be able to watch it all, not to mention, actually participate. Simply amazing!

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm positive it won't.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 759
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised that this topic just doesn't burst into flames.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3780
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm surprised that this topic just doesn't burst into flames.

The half full glass of water will prevent that from happening. :-)

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 496
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure it depends upon what you think rising is. Unless there is a plague, or large parts of the country become uninhabitable (which I wouldn't rule out) Detroit proper isn't ever going to contain over 1% of US population again. It is very unlikely ever to be as rich relative to the rest of the country as it once was. So if that is what rising requires, I don't expect it to happen.

On the other hand, there is certainly lots of room for improvement. If a reasonable amount of such improvement occurs, I don't see why you couldn't look at that as rising, and I don't see why that is impossible.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 760
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More like a third full now, evaporation.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 591
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dcmorrison12, I agree Detroit can still make a turn around. I have been living in Detoit long enough to know that the turn around has already begun. This economy and the KK scandal has slowed the progress, but that is what has to happen for people of this region to wake up and realize Detroit is still an important city. In the last eight years I have seen changes I thought I would never see and am glad to have been apart of. Since 2000 when I got back from VA. I have witnessed the growth, not in population, but popularity for our downtown area and I believe in the comming years we will witness more growth in the neighborhoods as well. I'm still living in Detroit too, and hope to live for as long as I can in Detroit.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 531
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit will NOT rise from "the ashes".

Nice try though.

Too funny... the entrepreneurial spirit never seems to thrive beyond City Center.

I have an idea! Let's build some ghetto mansions while the houses all around crumble and burn to the ground. Whoops, too late!

Keep on keepin on!

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man, you guys didn't bring enough to share?

I don't know WHAT you're smoking, but it sure seems to make you all happy and content. Detroiter here, born and raised. As close as we can figure out, tenth generation Detroiter. And even I have recently moved out of the city because of the idiocy.

Sure I'll move back, once we get a mayor who does what he promises and a City Council that is functional, ethical and does what they were elected to do. And a populace that doesn't descend to race baiting in lieu of discussion and lemming voting patterns.

BTW, off the thread, but I really loved how Monica Conyers just HAD to base her arguement re: sueing Synegro on an african court precedent. Not only is it irrelevant to the US Judicial system and our precedent here, but it pushes the Detroiters 'Automatic Acceptance' Button since, hey, it's from Africa!

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The high err rise that you are expecting, probably will be coming from snorting those ashes.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 877
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Detroit WILL rise from the ashes!

After the last home and building have burnt to the ground, people will start to move back in. I'm very optimistic about that!

:-)

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

300 million in debt and climbing.
People leaving the city (and state) in droves.
Dysfunctional schools, courts, and city government.
Vast sections of urban prairie.

But hey, we have a downtown! Rejoice!

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, this place got real pessimistic in a hurry. Sounds like some other site that you can't mention around here...

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 478
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading this thread, I feel like killing my self. joking...but seriously too many Debbie Downers.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suddenly Detroityes has turned into the Freep.com forums.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 472
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since 2000, Detroit city population has dropped by more than 10% according to SEMCOG. If that's a "comeback", then wow, I'd hate to see a decline.

As for whether the suburbs can thrive in the face of central city decline; they've been doing it for 50 years; I'd say that's pretty strong evidence that it's possible.

Even in this economy, I don't see too many vacancies in Somerset Mall or downtown Bham.

W_chicago
Username: W_chicago

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a few thoughts, some possible solutions to our mess...

We need social and economic reconstruction: massive investments into quality of life, rebuilding of neighborhoods... brick by brick, building up instead of tearing down; connecting of neighborhoods with complete streets (safe for bikers, pedestrians), rail transit and elimination of freeways in the core of the city; reorganization of public school funding to give an equal playing field for all students, so that no longer will the most low-income communities have the worst schools, for they will be equally funded as those in richer communities; opening closed public schools, improving and updating hospitals and medical facilities, improve and fully fund the police and fire department and legalize possession of marijuana to end wasted resources and arrests on hard working, harmless, and responsible adults and tax sales to generate revenue for socially constructive uses; improving the quality of our colleges and universities by guaranteeing higher education to every resident at Wayne State University or other colleges or universities in Michigan or those that are yet to be built in Detroit, and ensuring young people have opportunities here and are encouraged to rebuild the community rather than flee it; we need new industry, and to get away from the autos and move toward sustainable economic development, reoccupying abandoned factories to produce solar panels, wind turbines, public transit rolling stock, or even things that haven't been made here in over a generation such as cloths; or taking up the 40 odd + square miles of empty land for small scale agricultural uses, slowly rebuilding the buildings and neighborhoods that once occupied that land, repairing damaged homes and buildings and constructing new ones where buildings once stood before; ending the racist and exploitative loan system so that resources are adequately distributed to all areas of the city, allowing new shops and businesses to open up and new homes to be built and lived in; supporting unions and passing the Employee Free Choice Act to make it easier for workers to form unions, and supporting cooperative enterprises, community councils, and federations of such organizations to the aim that they will one day replace the market economy; we need to support local culture – music, film, theatre both professional and do-it-yourself, we need full funding for our museums and cultural institutions; we need to support diverse family arrangements and provide full sexual and reproductive health services to all residents, as well as education and access to condoms and birth control for adolescents; we need to change the way our political system functions by first implementing a ward system, followed by regional integration and coordination, and the support in creating parallel grassroots community councils that will be given funding and eventually, full governance over political life; in short, we need a revolution, but it isn’t a revolution of guns and bullets, but rather of the ballot and of hearts and minds and the hope of a people for a better world.

This task is dependant much on what happens in the rest of the country and in the rest of the world, but it is not a task that is too great. We can be pragmatic, programmatic, and relevant while still having a long term vision always in mind, guiding our actions. It will take millions across the country, and thousands here in Detroit. If you accept, your mission beings today.

Panda
Username: Panda

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Suddenly Detroityes has turned into the Freep.com forums."

I sadly agree.
There's no courage in that.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4460
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speramvs Meliora, Resvrget Cinneribvs.

Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may say that the suburbs are thriving while Detroit isn't, but then again, you've most likely never seen a region which has a thriving city. Southeastern michigan isn't getting any better unless Detroit does.

Detroitchef

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who was the dopey Grosse Pointer in the 80's who had the "Say NICE things about Detroit" campaign? Pooch? Hooch? Some hippie artist type with a trust fund and a loft down by CCS in addition to Mommie's Lakeshore Manor.

The melodrama around here reminds me of that campaign. All the starry eyed optimism and cheerleading in the world won't fix the tough problems Detroit faces. It's Detroit, it's a rough industrial city that has been kicked around a few times, and is most likely going to be kickd around again. Moaning how 'everyone is mean and down on the forum' and trying to be all perky about the mess isn't really a viable option. If we're so pessimistic, go move to Miami or somthing.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5665
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was Emily Gail of Emily's Chocolates.

Detroitchef

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, her BF was the dude with the silly nickname.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not looking good. Maybe in 2045 it'll rise.

Swimmaven
Username: Swimmaven

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the rest of Michigan wishes Detroit would just go away. It kind of has, though.

And the rest of the country doesn't even know where Detroit is located any more.

Boutique farming, that might work. Except for the ridiculous property taxes.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dcmorrison just out of curiousity, but where are you originally from? I am encouraged by your optimism. But really is Detroit's problems any different from Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, or Washington D.C.'s problems? We are no different from any other big American city, except for the fact we are the country's punching bag and the rest of the country takes joy in our misery.

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Dcmorrison12, for the possitive post!

I posted this on the Belle Isle Aquarium post, but I thought it should be here too. I also wanted to share the scripture that I hold dear to my heart in regard to Detroit. If we asked God to bless this place, His word says He will. I believe Him.

May God restore Detroit and its beautiful places that remain. Thank you, Friends of the Aquarium for your part in keeping our heritage alive for future generations! I am very proud of that aquarium. This was one of the places my mother took us children when we first arrived in Detroit back in 1968.

My grandchildren and I were there to protest the closing of this precious aquarium, and we were there last weekend to clean the aquarium for the re opening. However, when we arrived with our cleaning rags and buckets, it was already sparkling. There had been some mighty fine hard working Detroiters that beat us to the punch. We were bummed, especially the grandbabies, they wanted to be a part of the restoration; but all at the same time, we were excited to see so many folks that felt as strongly as we do. I am sad that we cannot be there today. Please schedule more events. We want to be a part of the restoration of Detroit.
Blessings
Johnnie sue Bridges

Isaiah 61:1-11

Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; 2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; 3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.
Isa 61:4 And they shall build the old wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations. 5 And strangers shall stand and feed your flocks, and the sons of the alien shall be your plowmen and your vinedressers. 6 But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.
Isa 61:7 For your shame ye shall have double; and for confusion they shall rejoice in their portion: therefore in their land they shall possess the double: everlasting joy shall be unto them. 8 For I the LORD love judgment, I hate robbery for burnt offering; and I will direct their work in truth, and I will make an everlasting covenant with them. 9 And their seed shall be known among the Gentiles, and their offspring among the people: all that see them shall acknowledge them, that they are the seed which the LORD hath blessed. 10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels. 11 For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations.

Gralr
Username: Gralr

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in the ashes are a lot of great houses, buildings, and memories, now all gone no rising for the great thinks of Detroit that are long gone.

We have decided not to buy in Detroit simply because of the ridiculous property taxes. As much as we would love to it makes no sense. Move there maybe, but not to own. So we can't contribute to the raising of Detroit like we would like to.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I would argue that Detroit has already risen, and it did it being ethnically diverse.

I would argue that Detroit is no more ethnically diverse than it has ever been.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 503
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We have decided not to buy in Detroit simply because of the ridiculous property taxes.

I'm just curious; how big a difference do you think there would be in how much property tax you would pay (amount, not rate) in Detroit versus wherever else you might be thinking of living. In my own case, (of course depending upon the exact property) there isn't much difference, because the difference in rates is offset by the difference in price. Differences in state income taxes, sales taxes, and the city income tax are more significant in my case, as is the cost of usable schools.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 678
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I totally Agree. .

We only went to Detroit once or maybe 2 times a year up until 06'.

Since The Superbowl XL we have been to Detroit at leased Once A MONTH!!

Everytime we go we discover New and Exciting things about Detroit!

For Example: Today when we went to Detroit we took a trip out to the Belle Isle Aquarium and Conservatory! (WOW!!) Those places were amazing. . . .

Next we decided to go to Mexicantown for the first time! Again WOW!

Detroit has so Much to offer! OH I wish I lived there!!!

Doma
Username: Doma

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dcmorrison12,

I am a 26 yr old who is starting a pretty significant business that will serve much of Southeastern Michigan including Detroit within the next several months. I too share your optimism! Nothing lasts forever, if Detroit can learn something from cities like Atlanta, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, DC, etc. it's that once a bottom is truly reached, the comeback is swift and powerful.

This is it folks, this recession will take it's toll, that's a fact. But that cannot deter what is in store for this city in the next 10 years....

Forum: Please stop crapping on anybody who has anything positive to say.

Miss_d_meanor
Username: Miss_d_meanor

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Detroit's decline is indicative of the larger decline in the manufacturing sector. No amount of fancy new lofts will fix that. We will eventually have to find new sources of employment or Detroit will have to become a smaller city. W_Chicago has some very good ideas but I don't see any real turnaround happening until they fix the failing schools system. How can we have a thriving city if nearly half the population is illiterate? (a dubious statistic if you ask me, but I'm sure the real number isn't too far off)

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doma good luck but what is in store for the city in the next ten years is another 100k leaving and the metro will probably lose 5 times that or more. Not sure comparing other cities to Detroit is fair either, none of those cities you listed were either as big as Detroit or suffered any of the problems Detroit faces now. Pittsburgh might be the best example but Pittsburgh was never the 5th biggest city in the United States, the scope of DEtroit's decline is really quite unique.

Baltimore isn't "coming back" but has stabilized meaning the worst is likely behind the city. Problem is Baltimore was never the size of Detroit and Baltimore also has Washington D.C. and a very stable almost recession proof economy to fall back on. And Baltimore still struggles, still has a very high violent crime rate, but I guess not losing anymore people helps.

Atlanta has better weather but they have a huge ghetto, terrible urban sprawl, and it is a northern city picked up, and moved south. Atlanta has never faced what Detroit faces right now unless you want to count rebuilding the entire city after the Civil War.

D.C.? Outside of murders D.C. has never really had the same problems Detroit is having right now. D.C. has a lot of government jobs Detroit doesn't have, it has very stable suburbs which aren't losing entire sectors, and they've moved a lot of the trash to the suburbs like Suitland. D.C. for example made a great decision putting the Nationals Park in Anacostia which would have been like Detroit putting Comerica at Gratiot and Mack or Livernois and Michigan. It forced the bad element out and will eventually draw a lot more business and residents back to that historical district. But if you went to the stadium the first year, you saw nothing around. No bars, no business, no nothing. That's because it was all hood before, it is a long way back even for Anacostia and it's 600 million dollar stadium.

D.C. might be better off than it was 20 years ago but it has more to do with people leaving places like Ohio and Michigan and moving to the metroplex, and the prosperity of that area which I guess you didn't really consider by offering it as an example. Also D.C. has the Metro, maybe the best public transportation system in the country. That is another reason you can't compare D.C. to Detroit, D.C. has been proactive for decades while Detroit has been the worst kind of reactive and has had about 40 years of absolutely inept city government.

As much as I love Detroit and hope I'll see it come back some day, there are too many things stacked against it right now. I think the positive progress of immigrants living and working in the city is encouraging but when they get robbed, cheated, and deal with horrible city services they'll figure out they need to go too. Maybe Chicago? Dallas? What about Pittsburgh? Pittsburgh has made a comeback....

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 390
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grair we too are holding off because of taxes. We can do without the city services because we live in the country and don't know what it's like to have them. But the property taxes are 3 times what we're currently paying. Detroit needs to do something about that problem to even stand a chance.

Cloud_wall
Username: Cloud_wall

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chef, the "African" case you referenced involving KBR/Halliburton's bribery of the Nigerian government is being prosecuted by US Attorneys for violations of US federal statutes. What made her comments kind of dumb is not that she was using some devious "African" code, but that the main law violated was the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, which obviously doesn't apply here, and that proving the case would require proving that the City was actually bribed...which would implicate her employer and probably implicate her.

As for complaints about your comments sinking to Freep.com levels, it probably doesn't have much to do with your being "mean." No one seems too threatened by that. It's the overall disdain for the City and your crude way of expressing it, which makes one wonder why you spend time here.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 726
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the property taxes are 3 times what we're currently paying. Detroit needs to do something about that problem to even stand a chance

End of Quote

Detroit IS doing something about this.

Soon, a NEW Wayne county sales tax could pay for the Detroit Department of Transportation under a regional plan to merge SMART and DDOT with a dedicated funding source from three counties. This is to appear next April and will mean a vote from your state reprentative or the public for a change in the state constitution.

This is called Michigan Tax Reform and we are told that this will create jobs. But in southeast Michigan, the facts prove othewise.

Get the real facts about mass transit specific to Detroit and suburbs, only in the trainman website in DETROIT LINKS

Learn what the Transportation Riders United do not want you to know.

Learn the real truth about the Livonia opt. out and the high cost of the Detroit and suburban bus systems.

Learn why paying higher transit taxes has caused bus service reductions and state funding cuts.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 482
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone tell me I'm not the only one that thinks Trainman is also a 9/11 Conspiracy Theorist.

And Trainman...what link under Detroit Links? Is this the Detroit Links of the Model D website, because there ain't anything there that I can see that deals with you. As far as I'm concerned I don't think TRU has anything to hide...you might want to get that foil off your head.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Someone tell me I'm not the only one that thinks Trainman is also a 9/11 Conspiracy Theorist.

I doubt it. His mind is too focused. He's like Karl and abortion, only without the ability to form halfway coherent thoughts.
quote:

And Trainman...what link under Detroit Links? Is this the Detroit Links of the Model D website, because there ain't anything there that I can see that deals with you.

On this site, not Model D. Click on "Detroit Links" over to the left. Kind of a waste of time, though.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 728
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's called Trainman's save the...

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 914
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to see Detroit rise, yet I would be happy If I would see people stop leaving Detroit en mass, and their schools get back in order.I too was dumbfounded by the taxes in Detroit.I may miss that house on Pierson yet I am amazed that tha city of Wayne can take care of the situation in a flash.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 483
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Bearinabox.

Sorry Trainman for calling you a 9/11 Conspiracy theorist...you sounded like one though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.