Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Warren Evans announces endorsements received « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5218
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This alone should kill off any chance he has.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20090205/METRO /902050454/1361

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3459
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this statement is phrased in a way that almost sounds damning: "He's an elect-able official. He has been set up to lead us at this time."

Set up?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5219
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well...that's what Shrine of the Black Madonna tries to do

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren C. Evans' middle name is Cleage. He is named after his uncle Albert Cleage, founder of the Shrine of the Black madonna.

http://www.answers.com/topic/j aramogi-abebe-agyeman

The great early social service work of the Shrine morphed into an political force in the early 1970s culmanating in the election of Coleman in 1974.

A long line of Detroit Political elite's trace their rise to the support they recieve from The Shrine. Charles Diggs, Barbara Rose-Collins, Lemar Lemons (Jr. Sr and the 3rd), Kwame Kenyatta, Joann Watson, Tinsly-Talabi, the Conyers Girls, Bernard Kilpartick, Martha Cheeks, Caroline Cheeks-Kilpatrick and of course, The Felon himself. Albert Cleage would be exceedingly proud that his idea for Black empowerment has been achieved and prolley dismayed as to what the power has wrought.

If Warren Cleage Evans wins the run off, it will signal that all hope in wholesale change within the halls of power.

A interesting side point, all the Warren Evaans literture for Mayor, shows Warren Cleage Evans. County-wide his re-election for Sheriff read Warren C. Evans.

I'm sure The Shrine views this run-off as a test of, and a threat to, their power

Brownfieldguy
Username: Brownfieldguy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's just choose another candidate now.... I think he is just too much a part of the Wayne County Machine. I think I would give Hendricks a try for a term. Let Cockrel go back to being Council President. Of course, with the feds coming maybe council will look so much different.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing is the only one who doesn't have his hands in local politics. He might take an approach no one else has dared to try.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 443
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing is the only one who doesn't have his hands dirty in local politics. He might take an approach no one else has dared to try.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two recent articles on Warren Evans in the Detroit News

1.) Evans meets Farrakhan, by Leonard N. Fleming

Kwame Kilpatrick made news when he the recently jailed ex-mayor was visited in the Wayne County Jail by Minister Louis Farrakhan in January.

But during that visit, the controversial Nation of Islam leader also stopped by to see another politician who is seeking to succeed Kilpatrick: Wayne County Sheriff Warren Evans.

"I would never tell you what we talked about because it was a private discussion," Evans told the City Hall Insider after it learned of the visit. "He had come to the county jail. He's a guy who's prominently known."

Farrakhan didn't get a chance to see Evans at the time the minister visited Kilpatrick, but a mutual friend called the sheriff to tell him the Nation of Islam leader was still in town. They later met for a 10 to 15 minute meeting.

"It was a courtesy call. He looked great," Evans said. "It was just general discussion."

The Insider also learned that Minister Rasul Muhammad of the Detroit Nation of Islam chapter was backing Evans' candidacy.

"I would hope so," Evans said. "I'd like all the support that I can get. The Nation of Islam has been an institution and started in the city of Detroit a long, long time ago."

Muhammad couldn't be reached for comment.

2.) Warren Evans takes over Kilpatrick's old office, by David Josar

Last year, when council members began scrutinizing purchase orders from the Kilpatrick administration below the $25,000 threshold requiring their OK, one bill stood out: Rent of about $650 a month by the Mayor's Office for a storefront on Livernois just south of Seven Mile.

The small, neat charmer has a rich political history. It was used over the years by political operatives, dating back to the Coleman A. Young era for phone banks and strategizing. Kilpatrick couldn't come up with an explanation for the office before he was broomed from the Mayor's Suite.

Now, the storefront has become HQ for one of the 15 who want Kilpatrick's job: Warren Evans. Evans' daughter used to work for Kilpatrick, both have long ties to the Shrine of the Black Madonna, and several Kilpatrick appointees have jumped on Evans' bandwagon.

http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/blogs/detroitcityhallinside r/index.cfm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.