Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Ernie Harwells son cheats couple out of 128,000 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hkytwn
Username: Hkytwn

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just wondering if anyone else watched the 10 o'clock news report on Ernies son. He convinced a retired auto worker to invest his life savings 128,000 into a pyrimad scheme involving internet booths that are put into malls and business so the public can check their emails or surf the net. The sad thing about the whole things is he used his dads good name to gain the trust of the investor. He has been found guilty in court and ordered to pay the 128,000 back but when the cameras caught up to him he simply refuses to pay and says he does not fell sorry at all for the money he took and will not pay it back.....he has nothing listed in his name so the investor can not get his money back

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 416
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that, it was horrible. Can you do that? Can you just say, oh well, I'm not paying? I was disappointed that they didn't have any definitive answer on what will happen to this man or how the people will get their money back. It should be criminal, what he did, then he'd have to go to jail.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5220
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He can be jailed if he doesn't pay.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9335
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hey honey, I'm going to invest our entire life savings into some guy's idea, OK?"

"Does he have anything to show for it yet?"

"No."

"Sounds good."

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 462
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What exactly was he found guilty of?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Failure to not be an asshole?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3249
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's called Fraud, theft by deception, take your pick or both. If he was found guilty and he must have been if ordered to pay restitution, then yes he can be sent to jail. If there were no criminal charges, he cannot go to jail. There is no debtors prison, except in the case of back child support, which the Clintons passed in direct defiance of the Constitution.

If he doesn't have it and there were no criminal charges, that guy will never see his money, save income tax returns etc.

Getting a simple collection judgement against someone, depending on the person can be a waste of time.

(Message edited by Sstashmoo on February 05, 2009)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6113
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well as we know Ernie Harwell is no spring chicken... when he passes, I bet there'll be a court ordered lien on any inheritence the son may get.

Of course if their estranged, then all bets are off...

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 931
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, he may be an asshole, but he also may be legitimate. As Johnlodge pointed out, it is incumbent upon people to invest wisely. There are plenty of reputable firms out there (Fidelity, Vanguard, T. Rowe Price, etc.). He may not have committed fraud. He may have said "I'm going to invest all your money in internet kiosks, is that okay with you?"

Realize that all investments are subject to loss. If you buy stock in ABC company, and they go out of business, you lose your money.

Not defending the guy, just saying we need to know the details.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 729
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Of course if their estranged, then all bets are off..."

I don't think they are. According to the news report, the vehicle that the son drives is registered to Ernie.

Hkytwn
Username: Hkytwn

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was FRAUD ...he gave the investor a list of stores and places of business these kiosks were all ready installed in... when things started to go south the investor called the phone numbers listed and some places did not exisit or the phone # was invalid ....that is FRAUD there was never any kiosks. And lets face it, to most people we would have done our research or even relized that in todays day and age those kiosks are obsolete you can surf the net, check your email from your phone, blackberry or any over device out there now adays.....the investor said that it was the Harwell name that made it seem ok ....does anyone have the link to the broadcast

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what a douchebag, and if he's driving ernies car then ernie must support his actions. i used to like ernie :-( not anymore

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 438
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure this is an embarrassment to Ernie. The guy is golden and I'm sure he doesn't approve of his son's actions.
I have dealt with Ernie first hand. He would never condone this type of behavior.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.