Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Who wants to rehab a neighborhood block with me? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone want to go and buy all/part of a crumbling but potentially successful Detroit neighborhood block with me and rehab the old homes? We could split the homes into 2-4 apartments and rent them out. Works well in a bad economy (cheaper rent)

(this post is merely just to see what interest there is, I'm not in any financial position to rehab anything at the moment)

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 582
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Dcmorrison12, but I recently purchased a block of downtown skyscrapers, and I'm incredibly busy right now.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I suppose you're planning to conduct a seminar for those who respond?

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you don't have any money, yet you want to buy not a single house, but an ENTIRE BLOCK of houses in Detroit and rent it out?

I don't have any money either, but if I did you are probably the last person I'd go into business with.

Savoyard
Username: Savoyard

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just bought the city of Cincinnati with my tax refund. I figure with a new coat of paint and a little spackle, I should get my investment back in 40-50 years.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9337
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine

Post Number: 583
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad you beat me to Cincinnati. Over-The-Rhine Rises!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2092
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn, talk about getting shut down

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 934
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dcmorrison12, I've figured you out. At first I would read your responses and think to myself "my god, is this person truly believing what he says?" You've blown my mind, made my jaw drop and you've pissed me off. But you know, I got it now. You truly don't believe anything that you say, it's just a bunch of B.S that you preach to us just to piss us off, and no more. There's not intellectual thought process in your head when you spray this crap onto the forum. Dcmorrison12, leave the forum... come back when you have something worth while to say

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2317
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, let's start on the St. Rita and expand to the Tuller and the Vermont. That should take a couple of weeks, so we can head over to the American, the Eddystone and finish up with that drywall project I've been planning at the Scott Mansion.

You get started, I'll be right behind you.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in.

Take what you need.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5222
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless $500 will be enough I'll get back to you right after I win the lottery.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DCMorrison, thank you, I needed a good laugh after a bad week at work. They laid off over 100 folks this week at work. Maybe we can open up some Downtown eatries while were at it. We'll get Sean Of Detroit to do our PR. Sorry Sean, love you buddy!! Retriot, relax and have a sense of humor. I think DC was just throwing it out there.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 374
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought DCMorrison WAS Sean of Detroit.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 468
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually...it's not such a far out idea. There is federal funding for such a thing. It's called the Neighborhood Stabilization Program. They are going to issue grant money to people to buy and rehab foreclosed homes and make them available to low income families to buy with low interest mortgages that the government is going to back. I think the program also allows for buying them for rental, but with restrictions. This part I am not sure about.

The City of Detroit has some of the money. For other cities in Wayne County, you have to go through the County. If you go to the Wayne County website, there is a descripton of the program.

There is an application process and you have to prove your ability to complete the work by showing financial backing and history in the business. One of the comanies I do work for is applying.

I am hopeful that this program will help turn some neighborhoods around.

Mikeg

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "stimulus" bill currently being debated in Congress contains $4.2 billion for “neighborhood stabilization activities”.

Once this bill gets passed, we can expect more "rehabbers", "seminars", "applications", etc. coming out of the woodwork.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 938
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite76, I know. That post was just a copy of one he wrote me on another thread, with his name in place of mine. :-)

You reap what you sow.
What goes around comes around.
Treat others the way you want to be treated.

(Message edited by Retroit on February 05, 2009)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7680
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This should be an easy one:

It's Moroun, MORAN

The walls are up already and it has window and door openings already!

..and a big lawn begging for a rototiller!

Wolverine

Post Number: 584
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Actually...it's not such a far out idea."

For 99.99% of the population it is a bad idea. Someone who invests a lot of time in market research, carefully selects an already STABLE neighborhood, might have success. Choose a burned out block, surrounded by a scattered few, you are setting yourself up for disaster. Someone shouldn't have to say this, but there are a lot of people out there who think they can actually make a difference out of a pile of rubble, but fail. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 653
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I just bought the city of Cincinnati with my tax refund. I figure with a new coat of paint and a little spackle, I should get my investment back in 40-50 years"

Damn fool.

You could have gotten Flint MUCH cheaper.Or, cheaper still, Benton Harbor.

Savoyard
Username: Savoyard

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did consider buying a Michigan city, but the Craig's List ad said it INCLUDED the Bengals. I figured the price was good ... and with the Lions sucking last year, I thought it was a good deal. But now I found out the Bengals were NOT included, so I'm preparing to sue CL for false advertising. It's so unusual for CL to contain ads with false information. I think I've got a solid case!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5227
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many rooms are in the station? It might make for good, low income housing - big, ol' community garden out front as Jams suggests, short walk to Honeybee and a nice driveway for a bus stop (no parking allowed onsite).

The building and some cash could be a nice settlement from Manny for public endangerment or other cause.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, that sounds lovely!

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 471
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg...the new bill is additional funds. Some of the grant money is already available, I believe.

Wolverine...my company has already built new housing in what was a blighted area under a different program and are building more this year under the same program in the same area because we have been fully occupied since the beginning.

The only way Detroit will survive is if the people who wish to live there have affordable, stable, adequate housing and employment. My company is trying to help with both by using trade persons from the City.

I believe we can change it..one block,one neighborhood at a time.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cute.

No, contrary to popular belief, I have not created a second name.

Dcmorrison12, I do like your enthusiasm. However, I agree that question was a little silly to ask here. There are much better ways to perform market research. An open question here will not give you much statistical information.

If this is your thing; plan, plan, plan. GO FOR IT! Don't listen to the naysayers. Start learning by taking some classes, start practicing (Maybe start with one home, or find someone who is renovating one to be your mentor), and don't slow down. You have to have things to bring to the table, and not allow yourself to get hung up on horrible ideas.

Don't listen to the naysayers unless you can look past the mean comments for raw input, and treat pessimists and optimists with scepticism. Now that I said all that, note that everything I just said might be BS.

Oh, and I might be interested in 2012. Come back then. :-)

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I was only kidding. I was hoping to spark some sort of conversation to get an insight into what people though of the idea. I see Retroit couldn't really think of anything. (I'm still not sure why he comes to this website... haters and ignorant folks should stick to Freep.com

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 775
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So now you know. So quit asking stupid questions.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2319
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dcm12, the tucks pad of posters.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who wants to scrap a neighborhood block with me? I don't have any money but if together we could round up enough tools and pickup trucks, we could probably make enough for a down payment on a...

(this post is merely just to see what interest there is, I'm not in any position to risk jail time)

Mikeg

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd help but my pickup is in the shop, someone took the catalytic converter.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4085
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol! Mikem.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damnit!!
I saw this thread earlier and was ready to sign up. Oh well....on to Plan B. I have a good friend who worked in the resturant business (Burger King) during high school. We're thinking of reopening Sweet Georgia Brown's, as well as the Hard Rock. On the weekends we're thinking of rehabbing a few of the closed Bill Knapps locations.
We don't have any money either, but figured as the buildings are unoccupied the landlords will let us open up on contingency.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^ LOL

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm real optimistic all these fine plans will work out! Rah Rah!

Cross post to "why are opitimistic posts..."

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2634
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cross post to "Why I occasionally hate newer posters on DY.."

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>Anyone want to go and buy all/part of a crumbling but potentially successful Detroit neighborhood block with me and rehab the old homes?<<

No thanks, I'm giving that up for Lent.

Wolverine

Post Number: 585
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wolverine...my company has already built new housing in what was a blighted area under a different program and are building more this year under the same program in the same area because we have been fully occupied since the beginning."

Yeah, I actually think I know what company you work for.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone want to help me design a mass transit system for Detroit. I'm not a city planner, but I am an engineer.

I figure we could use zip lines (ex. http://www.flickr.com/photos/j oseole/2961784648/) for express travel, and giant slides for local travel (between mile roads). Hey it would be safe green technology too ... who's onboard? :-)

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, we all die in 2012.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so, any links to how to get the "free money" to rehab detroit?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.