Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Metropolitan Detroit's Center of Population? » Archive through February 05, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 915
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a national one is calculated every so often, so I wonder where would Metro Detroit's be?

The reason I pose this is because many believe that since downtown Detroit is the Center or Core or Heart, it must be given preferential treatment. But is this the case? Why should our "center" be off in the corner? Wouldn't a "center" in the center be more beneficial?

My guess would be Southfield. Anyone else care to make an estimate?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given the existence of a physical and political barrier to development immediately to the south of downtown Detroit, there is no way it could ever become the "center of population" for the metro area.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3721
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^It could be if you counted Windsor as part of Metro Detroit...

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren is the third largest city in the state ... if that helps ya any.

Mikeg

Post Number: 2178
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

^It could be if you counted Windsor as part of Metro Detroit...

Are you serious? Are you trying to say that the river and international boundary have had no impact on the direction and location of growth in the tri-county area? How many people cross the tunnel or bridge each day for work or shopping as compared to the Detroit city limits elsewhere?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3722
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are you trying to say that the river and international boundary have had no impact on the direction and location of growth in the tri-county area?

No, I'm saying that if you count Windsor as part of Metro Detroit then the population center of the region is not as far away from downtown Detroit as you all think.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The reason I pose this is because many believe that since downtown Detroit is the Center or Core or Heart, it must be given preferential treatment.

I don't think Detroit gets preferential treatment at all. I think we're the region's whipping boy, and the nation's, for that matter.
quote:

Why should our "center" be off in the corner? Wouldn't a "center" in the center be more beneficial?

I don't see how it would be "beneficial" to move the "center" somewhere else. Most people seem to think nothing of living wherever they want to live, even if it means sitting in traffic for an hour to get to and from work, and that probably isn't going to change unless gas hits eight bucks a gallon. The historical center is where it is; any attempt to "move" it would be ludicrously expensive, obscenely wasteful, and ultimately pointless.

Mrnittany
Username: Mrnittany

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It all depends on the definition of "Metro Detroit" For simplicity's sake, I'll define it as Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb Counties.

Macomb's population (2000 census) is 788K, Oakland's is 1206K, Wayne's is 2061K.

(788K + 1206K) = (1994K), which is just slightly less than 2061K. So on a north-south basis, the "population center" would be somewhere JUST south of Wayne County's northern border.

Determining where it is on an east-west basis is much more difficult ... you'd need some hard-core GIS software to know for sure. Eye-balling it, I'd guess near Schaefer/Coolidge Road.

My best guess would be Schaefer and 7 1/2 mile (south of 8 Mile, north of Outer Drive).

(Message edited by mrnittany on February 04, 2009)

Mikeg

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No, I'm saying that if you count Windsor as part of Metro Detroit then the population center of the region is not as far away from downtown Detroit as you all think.

Even if you include Windsor and Essex County in the Metro Detroit population, the population center is still skewed to the northwest of downtown Detroit as compared to if where it would be if there was either no Detroit River or International Boundary.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Given the existence of a physical and political barrier to development immediately to the south of downtown Detroit, there is no way it could ever become the "center of population" for the metro area."

That makes absolutely no sense. Been to East Chicago lately??

Retroit

Post Number: 918
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox, you mentioned the traffic issue, which I think is one of the most important benefits of having the commercial center at the population center. If people are traveling in from 360 degrees instead of 180, the traffic congestion would be reduced to half.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4292
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bearinabox, you mentioned the traffic issue, which I think is one of the most important benefits of having the commercial center at the population center. If people are traveling in from 360 degrees instead of 180, the traffic congestion would be reduced to half.

So what do you do? Build a brand new downtown from scratch every 20 years as people continue to sprawl outward?

I don't understand your point. People move to the sticks, and then they want everything (except traffic) to follow them. How does one rationalize this?

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So what do you do? Build a brand new downtown from scratch every 20 years as people continue to sprawl outward?

Are you familiar with the New Center area here in Detroit? That was the idea, to create a new center due to the growth of the city.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 766
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Center of Southeastern Michigan's population, according to Laurence Tech's website, is:

quote:

Located near the exact center of population of southeastern Michigan, the University is conveniently situated in the Oakland County city of Southfield, a community of approximately 75,000 people. For visitors travelling by car, the campus is about 30 minutes northwest of downtown Detroit. It is also about 30 minutes northeast of Detroit Metropolitan Airport. Lawrence Tech is easily accessible through the interstate highway system and is located at the intersection of West Ten Mile Road and Northwestern Highway (M-10, the Lodge Freeway), just south of Interstate 696.

http://www.ltu.edu/currentstud ents/campus_community.asp

Retroit

Post Number: 919
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Townonenorth. It sounds like someone either did some serious calculation, or else just knew how to make it sound impressive.

Mrnittany
Username: Mrnittany

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok ... you're exactly right. Thanks for pointing out the error.

I calculated a "median (unweighted) center of population" there. Actual center of population calcs. are weighted to incorporate distance.

EDIT: There WAS a post (by Gistok) previous to this pointing out my mistake. But then I post and that post disappeared, LOL.

To sum up his/her post: distance should be incorporated into computing the center of population ... which would effectively push it somewhat further north of where I estimated it.

(Message edited by mrnittany on February 04, 2009)

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And my point is that people really don't seem to care that much. Otherwise they wouldn't move to Grand Blanc or Howell or Marine City when they work in Detroit or Southfield.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 263
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In what way does downtown get "preferential treatment" in metro Detroit? Perhaps this is true in the City of Detroit itself, but in the metro area as a whole its a place significant numbers of people are proud of not having gone to in several decades, if ever. And a place that leaders of surrounding counties feel perfectly OK about criticizing and refusing any funds for - because they feel it, and the people who use it, have nothing to do with their county.

Also, some people here seem to be a little vague on the idea of "center of population." From Wikipedia: "the center of population of a region is the geographical point nearest to all the inhabitants of that region, on average." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C enter_of_population)

Downtown Detroit has never been this, nor, given the geographic barriers mentioned elsewhere in this thread, could it be. But then neither are most central cities in the U.S., because they exist where they do for historical reasons, usually having to do with access to transportation (meaning water for older cities like Detroit).

Retroit

Post Number: 920
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see, Bearinabox. If having a dense downtown is desirable, which seems to be the case for many DetroitYESers, then having that downtown at the center would also reduce automobile use, which also seems to be desirable.

Eastsideal, I didn't say that it DOES get, I said that people believe it MUST get. In other words, people say "We must save downtown because it is the core of the city", even though it really may not be.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I see, Bearinabox. If having a dense downtown is desirable, which seems to be the case for many DetroitYESers, then having that downtown at the center would also reduce automobile use, which also seems to be desirable.

For this DetroitYeser, anyway, that is outweighed by the fact that the downtown already is where it is, and has been for over 300 years. I don't know how you would even go about moving it, other than nuking the entire tri-county area and completely rebuilding it from scratch according to a new master plan, which would be incredibly wasteful. And one of the main advantages of things like density and reduced automobile use is reduced waste. If you're that serious about reducing automobile use, a European-style gas tax would be a lot less disruptive and more effective. All moving the downtown to the "center" would do is give people an incentive to move even further from the "center," since they are presumably willing to sit in traffic for the same length of time as they were before, and they can now move further out without making their commute any longer.

Dcmorrison12
Username: Dcmorrison12

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is one of the dumbest posts Retroit has posted yet. Are you honestly trying to say that Downtown Detroit should not be considered the center of the Region simply because it isn't physically in the center of the region?!! Hello, does Chicago ring a bell? If i remember correctly, Chicago is bordered by a little lake called LAKE MICHIGAN. Either Chicagoans are really good swimmers or Chicago just isn't located in the center of the region. Now... since Chicago is NOT located physically in the center of Chicagoland, then are you saying that Downtown Chicago is not to be considered the center of Chicagoland?!

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But it is the core, from the time Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac set foot there in 1701. It's the beginning and the heart, not only of the Detroit metro area, but of the entire state of Michigan. The place from where all of our region's history and what's left of its economy springs. It's just too bad that so many people outside of the city feel OK to crap on it for its present-day difficulties.

Mikeg

Post Number: 2180
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That makes absolutely no sense. Been to East Chicago lately??

I'll be polite and try to explain.

The center of population is the point at which an imaginary, flat, weightless, and rigid map of the tri-county area would balance if weights of identical value were placed on it so that each weight represented the location of one person on census day. It can be somewhat visualized with the map below, which uses darker shades of color for more heavily populated census tracts. Eyeballing the map, I would have to say that Mrnittany's guess is pretty accurate. His estimate puts the tri-county center of population at about 9.5 miles northwest of downtown Detroit.

Hopefully, you can see from the map that since downtown is almost on the river, the only way to move the calculated center of population towards downtown Detroit would be to include population living south and east of downtown outside of the tri-county area. Adding Essex County, Ontario into the equation places only 9% of the four-county population to the south and east of downtown, about half of which is located in Windsor within 3 miles of downtown Detroit. The net effect of including Essex County would be to move the calculated population center at most one mile closer to downtown Detroit.

pop

Danindc

Post Number: 4293
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are you familiar with the New Center area here in Detroit? That was the idea, to create a new center due to the growth of the city.

New Center was never intended to completely replace the existing downtown.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 458
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember having this discussion about nine years ago at an OCC class. My professor claimed that Southfield Road and Ten Mile was the population "center" of Metro Detroit

Retroit

Post Number: 921
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dcmorrison12, Chicago is different from Detroit in that it has a massive full-developed downtown full of numerous multinational corporations. People want to live near downtown Chicago. A home that would sell for $50,000 in Detroit will sell for $500,000 in Chicago. Chicago already has an extensive rail mass transit system (a favorite topic on this forum). So, no, Chicago has no need to change anything.

Detroit, ahhhh Detroit.... we've got some problems. A nominal downtown. A dysfunctional city government. A city that very few want to live in. A city that has been extensively abandoned. Let's face it, we need a redo. Let's think regionally. Let's think of our Metropolitan area as one "organism" and not the Detroit-NonDetroit polarized mutation that it has become.

I really don't think it is necessary to re-locate downtown. But I think if people can change their mental perception of where the center of the city is, we will quit trying to turn downtown Detroit into something it is incapable of becoming.

And please post you personal attacks on the appropriate thread. :-)

Danindc

Post Number: 4296
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But I think if people can change their mental perception of where the center of the city is, we will quit trying to turn downtown Detroit into something it is incapable of becoming.

This begs two fundamental questions:

1. What constitutes the "center" of the city?

2. Why is downtown Detroit incapable of being that center?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4375
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well there's center in terms of psychological center (which has steadily been taken away from downtown Detroit starting somewhere in the 50s), there's center in terms of regional population spread (which may have been somewhere near midtown up through the 40s but is clearly now somewhere in NW Detroit because of the physical layout of the area and the hemorrage of population to the NW), and then there's center as defined by where the highest population density is (in most cities its some central neighborhood adjacent to downtown).

Many cities in America easily satisfy the first test you could use, but certainly not Detroit; even if most metro Detroiters will say that downtown is the center of the region, their actions (such as where they do business and spend most of their time) do not suggest it. However, thanks to recent gains in terms of development and somewhat of an attitude shift, downtown Detroit is on the road back in terms of this, such that within 20 years we may function like most other cities.

For the second criterion, we should realize that for most cities the downtown isn't the center of the regional population. Certainly not for downtown Chicago, lower Manhattan, downtown Boston, etc...only for certain modern cities without any fetters to development (i.e. mountains or water) can this happen. Perhaps Denver is an example of a downtown that's a center. I'm not sure. At any rate, this really isn't an important indicator, although you would probably want your regional population center to be somewhere in the City proper. Detroit is certainly on the brink of losing that.

I like the last indicator-- it makes the most sense for most conventional cities. It works perfectly for places like Chicago and Boston. Obviously, for mega-cities like New York which have uniformly very-high densities, it's harder to pin down, and isn't neccesarily downtown (downtown has more of a purely geographic connotation in NY). It makes sense that most cities have their highest densities, which we could characterize as their "centers," near or adjacent to downtown. I'm looking forward to the 2010 census data, but Detroit may in fact have it's highest densities currently in midtown or downtown, or perhaps even downtown-adjacent in Lafayette Park (which, even though it's not dense by world standards, in fact is dense by Detroit standards because its a collection of high rise residential buildings and the rest of the city is low density).

So most of this is semantics, and made unclear because there are three basic tests. Seems to me that Retroit was asking about my second test. The answer would probably be somewhere along the Detroit border with the SE corner of Southfield (not too far west because we should realize that Oakland county, beyond it's SE corner, has astoundingly low densities, even if the land coverage of development is quite high at this point).

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3723
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dcmorrison12, Chicago is different from Detroit in that it has a massive full-developed downtown full of numerous multinational corporations. People want to live near downtown Chicago. A home that would sell for $50,000 in Detroit will sell for $500,000 in Chicago. Chicago already has an extensive rail mass transit system (a favorite topic on this forum). So, no, Chicago has no need to change anything.

Classic Detroit pessimist response. He made you eat your argument, and you try to change the question.

Your argument was that the "downtown" of Metro Detroit should not be downtown Detroit because it is not the center of population. He rebutted that downtown Chicago is positioned even less to the center of population in Chicagoland, since they don't have any population to the east of their downtown to balance it out. You reply with the flawed reasoning that Detroit is not Chicago... Of course Detroit isn't Chicago! But that wasn't the question. The question was whether it made sense to have a downtown that was not at or near the center of population for the region.

So to answer your question, yes.

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had to guess, I would say somewhere along Woodward outside of the city of Detroit.

If you assume that Woodward basically bisects the city of Detroit, plus the fact that a majority of metro Detroit's population lives outside of the city.