Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Who will subscribe to the online News/Free Press? « Previous Next »
Archive through February 06, 2009Jams30 02-06-09  11:37 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3467
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, maybe this is a way to drive both papers into a tough spot. Now that Gannett owns both, they could then say that both papers are dying, Detroit is too small to support the JOA agreement, make a bid for the Justice Department to allow them to combine both papers into one, and then fire more people. They sell it to editorial as an "experiment" and then when the "experiment" inevitably fails, they get to do what they wanted to in the first place and get to say they were painted into a corner by their ambitious plans. I wouldn't put it past them.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Union busters and scabbers still get none of my money.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 376
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My spouse was a UTU/BLE union member until 2000. Around 1995 Canadian National Rail workers went on strike and the Teamsters came in with their trucks to haul freight for the company.

When they went on strike with the newspapers, we kept our subscription AND bought an extra paper or two out of the box everyday!

Screw the Teamsters.

Marshall
Username: Marshall

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back the Detroit Times!

Ferndaleguy76
Username: Ferndaleguy76

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they did, say, an Amazon Kindle edition, yes. But I'm not too sure about reading their current online offering. I read the paper while eating lunch.

I disagree with focusing solely on local news. I like to read one paper for all my news. As for local *TV* news, I wish *they* would stay out national and international news.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9350
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This is somewhat "tongue-in-cheek" but I wonder how much our physiognomy will evolve over time with more dependence on display tubes and less on print.

Will we have bigger, more sensitive eyes like the aliens in the tabloids? Will our posture change to one more conducive to sitting in front of a tube all day? Will we grow extra fingers and wrist muscles?

You're almost there! But not quite.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No ..Lifelong Subscriber to the News..Will find another to read

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My spouse was a UTU/BLE union member until 2000. Around 1995 Canadian National Rail workers went on strike and the Teamsters came in with their trucks to haul freight for the company.

When they went on strike with the newspapers, we kept our subscription AND bought an extra paper or two out of the box everyday!

Screw the Teamsters.

Pretty much everything that killed off the American labor movement in a nutshell (just throw in tiered contracts and you're almost there).

You do realize that the Teamsters weren't the only ones on strike, don't you?

Jimb
Username: Jimb

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never. I read the paper while I'm having breakfast, and I will NEVER sit and have breakfast while reading the paper online (partly because I usually go out for breakfast, but it wouldn't make any difference if I was sitting at home). I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to read the paper online, but I guess that's because I'm 48 and not 18! I will never read a book online either (some authors have made this the only way to read some of their books, which I find truly absurd), and I'll never make it a habit trading text messages with someone and ...

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much is it going to cost? I'll pay if the price is reasonable.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 377
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Pretty much everything that killed off the American labor movement in a nutshell (just throw in tiered contracts and you're almost there)."

Eastsideal, if you mean the Teamsters scabbing, then yeah, I guess so.

The United Transportation Union and The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers were on strike with the railroad and the Teamsters showed no solidarity. In fact, they came in and moved freight for the railroad, undermining the other unions efforts.

Screw the Teamsters

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3673
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't, I'm down to three hard copies a week now, and online content will not excite me, until we can boost our Wi-Fi/Broadband system. At least keep up with the other industrialized nations. That and the promise of a E-ink reader, until it happens, will make me go without. I'll read the ads, if that pays for the E-ink service.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3065
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not me. If it ain't on paper that I can grip in my grubby little mitts, I don't want it.
Actually, what with the gradually-disappearing local flavor of the Freep, I just barely want the one that IS printed on paper.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4969
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't, but it would be a money saving issue, not because I like paper newspapers. I already read a lot of news online.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 658
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that Gannett owns both,

No, Gannett only owns the Freep. The News is owned by Media News Group.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam -- you don't have to pay for detnews.com or freep.com, only the e-editions. It's sort of a non-issue, whether people would "pay" for online.

I think the Kindle could be a great thing when they're more available to buy, you load it up with a bunch of books and newspapers you want to read, take it on planes, everywhere you go...

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 537
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How we cling on to the past. It's gonna happen no matter what (elimination of delivery/paper-bound news), and look at the U.S Postal Service with a few million dollar bit of red ink. Personally I stopped subscription back when the strike first began, like 1996 or so. And I'd subscribe again (despite the strike) if a real, actual paperboy/girl busted they ass to deliver the news each day. I'd not only pay 'em, I'd tip 'em a few bucks each week.

Oops. Sorry, a direct question was asked by the OP. Answer: nope.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being out west here, delivery of hard copy is cost prohibitive. There are more than enough alternative "free" sources to satisfy my "all things Detroit" fix. So that would be a no.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No...I can't see the papers surviving with this change. The idea that young people would subscribe to the on-line edition because they are more computer-savvy is a myth. My 23 year old son reads the print Free Press every morning. He says he would not read an on-line edition with the same interest. I feel the same.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, way to go Detnews and Freep, looks like this load of bullshit is going to go over real well, judging by this thread.
I know this isn't a scientific survey, but nearly everyone, including myself, a Free Press subscriber, AGE 24, is wholly against this load of shit. Innovation? Please. A result of their lack of dedication to producing a quality, substantial newspaper.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 273
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's change the equation. What if ALL major on-line news sources weren't "free" and required you to pay an on-line subscription fee?

Admittedly not knowing the business, I can envision most journalistic enterprises becoming subscription-based with their electonic versions before long. Ater all, advertising can pay only so many bills.

Would you then pay an on-line subscription fee for the News and/or Freep?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 899
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing with all this, before my bill came from the freep, I got a subscription offer from the NY Times.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 864
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO. Why would I pay for an online subscription to a scab paper that I wouldn't buy in hardcopy?

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 389
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geeze, even in the depression newspapers continued to print. Oh yea, they wern't owned by greedy corporations having CEOs making millions of dollars back then. If all newspapers went to a fee online I'd get my news on TV. Not like there is much local reporting anymore any.

Diehard

Post Number: 659
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The current Time magazine cover story is very eye-opening:

http://www.time.com/time/busin ess/article/0,8599,1877191,00. html

Basically, everyone wants the news but won't pay for it.

Purpleheart
Username: Purpleheart

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I raise exotic birds so where would I be without liners for the cages?

Do visit the web site for the FREEP every now and then, and even comment there (under S/sgtUSMCRet)

Pffft

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The idea that there will be no print papers seems to never go away. You will be able to buy a print paper, it's just that early in the week and Saturday, they won't be home delivered.

Some papers, like the Daily Tribune, don't even print Monday-Wednesday papers anymore, you can only go online. We'll see if their sibling paper the Oakland Press goes to that model.

Postal service will deliver News and Freep same day, which is what seniors want.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The days that are remaining in print are those where the ad circulars are delivered. Meijer is trying an extra ad for instore specials that is only online....Some of the prices last week were really good on computer items (think it is a test to see how well weekly circulars could eventually be replaced)....Until stores are sure the ads are being seen online, they will continure to find a way to get circulars to homes for a while.......US Mail remains an option.

Pffft

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The days that are remaining in print."

There will be print newspapers every day.

It's just not home delivered every day.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm old enough to remember the discussion of whether or not TV would mean the demise of the movies. It never happened, of course, much for the same reasons expressed here -- differences of the the experience.

There is simply no comparison to the big screen with wrap around high quality sound and small screen. There are even less subtle advantages like not having to be concerned if some of your popcorn spills on the floor.

Some forms of media content simply do not fit in in every container.

Some publishers adapt. Look at the Metro Times. No one has ever paid a penny for it and they thrive. They succeed because they don't try to be everything to everybody like the traditional 'papers' do.

They have found their niche both in coverage and advertisers. This is where the Freep and News should be looking.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might be leaving myself open, but this is just my opinion,
Newspaper union's screwed themselves during the strike. Most had tenative agreements with the company, but held out for the Guild on merit pay issues. Thanks Mitch Albom and others who crossed.
Machinist, Electrician's, Mechanics's also crossed the picket line everyday to go to work.

As far as the days of kids delivering papers, I miss that too. Problem here was alot of kids in the 80's didn't want to do this anymore. Video games and parents putting their kids into a million activities didn't leave much time for kids to deliver papers. Too many down routes for District Managers to cover.

Yes, I will continue to subscribe to the paper along with the online version.

(Message edited by Servite76 on February 08, 2009)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will keep my Freep subscription.
If I get the online for free or low cost, then I will use that too.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3707
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sunday paper went up to $1.50, I'm laid off, and I'll think twice about the Sunday paper too.
DetroitYes people, provide a link with a description, and I'll make it through.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 477
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
"...They have found their niche both in coverage and advertisers. This is where the Freep and News should be looking."

Wouldn't it be interesting if each paper found its own, separate, niche?

Pffft

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good theory, except local news isn't niche.
Most of the news people think they get from TV or radio originates in a print newsroom. TV and radio -- and the Metro Times -- don't have the resources to do that kind of reporting...

Diehard

Post Number: 660
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, Pffft. TV borrows a lot from what's in the papers. If the papers disappeared, they'd have to work a lot harder and would miss a lot of stories.
Consider this: If even one of the papers had been dead a year ago, Kwame would still be in office.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a dollar at Walmart, Sams Club, Dollar Tree and some other spots... I try to buy it at those places.....

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delivery Options

Home delivery of print edition Thursday, Friday and Sunday with access to Electronic Edition every day.

Home delivery of print edition Sunday only with access to Electronic Edition everyday

Home delivery of print edition Thursday, Friday & Sunday- No Electronic Edition (Available for current subscribers only)

Home delivery of print edition on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Postal mail delivery of print edition on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday.

http://freep.com/transform

The Electronic Edition is available by paid subscription for $12 per month. It’s also included in some subscription packages for home delivery of the newspaper.
It is an exact replica of the print edition, just in an electronic format. You can even flip the pages. You’ll get all the same great articles, comics, columnists, advertising and puzzles of the printed paper – just on your computer instead of your doorstep. The e-edition is searchable by keyword, topic, event or person. You can change the size of the type to accommodate your eyes, and you can even tell it to e-mail you every time a subject that interests you appears. Subscribers have access to the last seven days’ worth of archives and can easily link to most advertisers Web sites.

http://detroitfreepress.mi.new smemory.com/demo.php

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 795
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had a subscription for a while. I notice that the editions and content seem to be dissapearing before my eyes. The print paper is a shell of it's former self.

It's digital cousin is a mirror of that. I suppose that I'd be inclined to take the paper on the delivery days. I'm not so sure about the digital edition. Only good feature is that I can read it without reading glasses.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.