Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Can't remember name of downtown Detroit restaurant « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulak
Username: Paulak

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a restaurant/bar in downtown Detroit during the late 1970s (or every early 1980s). Owner was a former attorney named Ron (?). Nice place, good food, nice bar to hang out in after work. I think it was on either Congress or Larned street near the Millender apts (or even on the site before the Millender was built). I seem to be the only person that remembers this place. It wasn't there very long...it burned down. Anyone remember this place?

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a very good French restaurant in that area called La Marmite. It was in a basement level maybe. I can't recall if it just closed but maybe there was a fire there.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 672
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

La Marmite was the only restaurant that burned near the Milander Center. It was in the basement. The building was razed, so voila, one more parking lot.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 862
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was owned by Nick Greco. Nick's brother, Bob, owned Capn'Ahab's in Wyandotte. One level was La Marmite, which later became Rembrandt's Roadster(or vice versa), and the upper level was the Mexican Inn. It later became the(I'm guessing here, I'll add to this later - the Detroit.....) which was owned and operated by Tim and Sarah McKay. Man, I spit this out quickly, so I'll probably have to get back and amend some of the details. It burned to the ground in the mid to late 80's. Kris Lynn, (a/k/a Florence Dinwiddie) Detroit school teacher, pianist and chanteuse extraordinaire, formerly of the 101 in the Tuller Hotel, conducted her extraordinary jam sessions there, briefly.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5925
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bricktown Bar and Grill I think. My friend and I ate there the night it burned down. It was a wonderful place, and such a shame when it burnt. Eeveryone seemed to think it was arson, because the land was sold to be a People Mover Station.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember The Sheik, and were it was located?

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 541
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sheik was a dastardley wrestler that used to fling his lighter in opponent's faces. The Sheik wus pretty bad-assed back in the day. The Sheik was usually located at center ring, Cobo Hall, on Friday nights, along with Dick The Bruiser and that one fighter that come from a cave... Purpo something or other.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pampero Firpo

No idea why I remember that.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to eat at Borg (or maybe it was Borg's) Bar on Larned...I think it was across from the old Greyhound station. They had great personal size pizza that was ready fast, and pretty good burgers, too. But it was VERY dark in there. I always wondered if they were trying to hide the presence of filthy carpeting or bugs.

Sfds
Username: Sfds

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulak......SweetWater?

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 781
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the Sheik in Detroit was on Lafeyette, but it's been a loooong time ago, I might be wrong. The bus used to drive by there. I never went in the place, always passed it by in favor of going to Woodward..

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 866
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette, you got it - The Bricktown Bar and Grill. Thank you. It was bothering me to no end. Tim and Sarah McKay(Sarah's @ Silvers, Sarah's Gourmet Carry Out @ Indian Village, Sarah's State Street Market & Cafe, The Sundance Cafe @ Stroh Riverplace, and the original Cafe Harmonie at Harmonie Park) were operating it at one point. I'm not sure if they were the owners at the time it burned.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 212
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The very first time I had Arabic food was at the Sheik. My husband and I were taken there by one of his clients. His client did all the ordering and it was wonderful. We went back many times after that. Loved the Sheik!

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Franks's bar? I think it was on Larned and closed down when they expaneded Cobo. Nothing better than a Frank burger grilled and buttered bun, hamburger, slice of ham, onion and cheese.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We ate once a week at Frank's Bar on E. Larned as we were so close to it with our offices in the Guardian Building. They had good burgers. The Shiek was Lebanese, owned by a lady whose name I do not recall, and this restaurant was quite popular with attorneys, too.
Another popular bar/restaurant we patronized was Bush's Bar on the East side of Woodward next to the old burlesque house. Captain Bob-Lo was a popular patron there.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sheik was owned by two sisters the one that was the hostess was named Janet. It was in an old building like a house and was west of Beaubien on Lafayette. The first time I ever had shish kafta was there. I believe one of the sisters got very sick and they closed the place.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 867
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Frank's last night of operation before it was demolished for the Cobo Hall expansion around 1988. The very same night, I left Franks and went to the closing night for Kovac's. Kovac's made a big fuss about closing for good, only to re-open a short time later. I think the family maintained ownership of Kovac's up until Bob and Caroline bought it in 1996. They've tried to sell it every which way with no success. Of course, when you ask a ridiculously high price, you don't really want to sell, you're just fishing - for suckers - bait fish.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I recall correctly, Frank's was located almost directly across the street from the Post Bar. The Post had no grill. The routine was to go to the Post for lunch, then go across the street, to Frank's, to eat.

Quite acceptable in them days, within an acceptable time frame.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 870
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yuppo, Ronaldj. Frank's was right there. If you remember correctly, Jim's Garage was right up the block, at or near, Washington Blvd, and was also taken for the expansion. Very nice place, good food and at one time (I think in the 70's)had entertainment.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1 kielsondrive, Jim's Garage was many of the places to go. We spent many a dollar in that place that we did not have.

This may call for a different thread but one of the most quirky and interesting places was Benno's. First in Indian Village, then he disappears to Benton Harbor for years, then the final resssurection in the building on Brush or Beaubien that used to or still holds the Courthouse Brasserie. Took a lot of guests there over the years.

If I had invested it, I would be sitting fairly prettty now.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember "Nick's 49er Club"
on Jefferson near Indian Village the 1960's early 1970's does anyone remember Nick...?

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Frank's--loved that Frankburger. We still make them at home. And Benno's....I thought he moved to Harbor Springs. I thought he had a restaurant on the 2nd floor of a store that faced Harbor Springs marina. I may be mistaken though. I also loved the Pontchatrain Wine Cellars. Yum!

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to remember a sign at Frank's saying "Frankburger made by Pete". Anyone else remember that sign?

The_rock

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pontchatrain Restaurant was another Detroit fixture. Sweet breads and cold ducks, your friendly hosts were Charlie and Molly Beyer. It became a Mexican restaurant after the Beyers retired. Is the building still standing? Molly is in heaven and Joe now resides on the West side of the State.
And as long as we are talking about long-gone restaurants, let's not forget another downtown favorite--Schweitzer's. Another good spot.
Further East on E. Jefferson was another nice restaurant that eventually closed and became Detroit's first Playboy Club. What was the name of that place? The Stockholm? A little fancier than Franks Bar!'

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 872
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benno's in Indian Village sat vacant for a short period and then housed Sarah's (McKay's)Gourmet Carry out at Indian Village. Benno moved downtown to the building that eventually became the Courthouse Brasserie. He also attempted to lease a space and/or buy a business in the Michigan Building. He opened a place just before the huge boom in Royal Oak and opened a place up north. I don't remember it being in Benton Harbor, though it's possible. I'm just confirming these events not their timing or order. I knew Benno quite well at the time and friends re-modeled the building housing his downtown restaurant.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 873
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pontchartrain Wine Cellars - one of my favorites downtown for longevity, consistency, quality and friendliness. Thank you Rock. Schweitzer's was a very good old place also, but mostly German food that I didn't care to eat day to day. No criticism intended. The Mexican Restaurant that followed the Wine Cellars lasted oh, about a nano second. Service was terrible and food mediocre at best. The Stockholm became the Playboy Club and later a Bell Telephone Station at East Jefferson and I-375. The building is still there. I have a picture of the Stockholm. If I can ever figure out how to re-size photos for DY, I'll post it.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kielsondrive..The Escar-go at the Wine Cellars
Was one of my favorites..What a Great place that was.. Truly a Gem

Whaler

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cardcow.com/129787/ pontchartrain-wine-cellars-234 -west-larned-detroit-us-state- town-views-michigan-detroit/

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 876
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler, check to see if you can find one for the Stockholm on East Jefferson. Please.

The_rock

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fine pix of the Cellars, Whaler. I remember the cuisine as more French than German. Just like Joe and Bill Muer, who were always at their restaurant and found the time to stop by your table, the Beyers were wonderful people and wonderful hosts.

Joe went to MSU and actually played on the basketball team many moons ago. He was always a little short and stocky for basketball, but he used to say that back then, "it didn't matter".

Another restaurant, not too far from the Cellars was the Pilot House, an old watering hole (Shelby and Congress if memory serves me right),owned at one time by Justin Giltner, a Detroit attorney in the Guardian Building. The bar was made from the wood brought up from a schooner that had sunk in Round Lake in Charlevoix and the restaurant had a nautical theme throughout.
Back in the 60's, you had a lot of choices to get a good meal, be it lunch or dinner.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 275
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, these posts are making me nostalgic (and hungry) for some of my favorite old downtown restaurants.

My dad used to eat at the Sheik several times a week. For me also it was one of the first places I ever had middle-eastern food. Wasn't the woman who ran the place named Esther?

Frank's was one of my favorite post-hockey game hangouts for awhile - loved the perfectly preserved late '50s decor. Another place I used to go a lot after games was the old Downtown Bar, across Lafayette from the coneys, which was a bit more down-market but had pretty good burgers too. Speaking of burgers, I also still remember the original Checker Bar on Farmer with its great old decorated pickle jar lamps.

The Pontchartrain Wine Celler was one of the big night out places when I was younger. We really couldn't afford to go there too often. Doesn't that the building that now house the club that recently had problems with some patrons shooting out the Pontchartrain Hotel's windows?

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 880
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Downtown Bar, usually referred to as DB's. Next door was the Adams Brother's Restaurant. Both torn down for yet another parking structure. The Greek from downriver(I think his name is Tony)that owned DB's became the owner of the gaudy, ugly coney place in the former International Restaurant in the Greek block. It was raided and closed not too long ago. He was accused of hiding income from the IRS.

Whaler

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kielsondrive this is all i could find

http://books.google.com/books? id=2i3a-rrO6VwC&pg=PA86&lpg=PA 86&dq=stockholm+restaurant+eas t+jefferson+rd+detroit&source= web&ots=o6fEV8LpQw&sig=W1a4Md9 HzONd1ICLo0NVbl2bfyk&hl=en&ei= _F-RScuAMtG3tweO1qjcCw&sa=X&oi =book_result&resnum=8&ct=resul t

The_rock

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WONDERFUL POST,Whaler. That's a trip down restaurant lane. Many of those spots even preceeded me. And I see you included the Stockholm. I did not realize it went back that far.
And another pix was of my all-time, all-time Detroit favorite, The venerable, memorable London Chop House. 40 years downtown, and once, only once, did I get to sit in Booth #1,and that was a Saturday lunch, but it was well worth it!
Somewhere I think I still have my "combined" credit card for the LCH and the Caucus Club during the time Les Gruber owned them both.
Penobscot salad at the Caucus, Mess of Perch at the Chop. Both to die for.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_Rock, you are lucky to have been able to enjoy a meal at The Chop. I'm truly envious. Do you go to Carls at all?

Stromberg2

The_rock

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not been in Carl's in years. Famous for its chops and steaks. It is one of Detroit's oldest restaurants, and as a kid attending the Michigan State Fair, I remember seeing prize- winning cattle with ribbons attached that said they were destined for Carls ( on the menu, not as patrons).
We had some monthly meetings of Defense attorneys upstairs in one of their private rooms. It was especially popular for dinner before the Red Wing games when the Wings played at Olympia. We ate and then walked up Grand River for the game! Unfortunately it eventually went down hill, Olympia closed, other more intriguing spots opened, the neighborhood changed and finally Frank P.( a GPointer) came along and rescued it and also bought Mario's ( another one of my favorites ) on 2nd Ave. I think Frank runs Carl's and his son runs Marios.At least that was the set up in the 90's. I am sure Carl's is struggling with this economy.
I am assuming Carl's is still open, although Mario's appears to be going strong, partly due to the fact they offer excellent food and service but also a combination dinner and then bus ride to Tiger, Lions, Red Wing, Opera House, you name it events downtown.
Carl's also served an excellent white fish, and as you entered the lobby, you would see the large lobster tank to entice you to try lobster.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 881
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler, WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT'S ALL YOU COULD FIND??? That's an incredible post and link. Thanks so much. There's so much on there I couldn't take it all in right now. I'll come back later and check it closer. I'll probably be downloading half the night. Thanks again.

Paulak
Username: Paulak

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was LaMarmite. I knew that it started with "La" but the only thing I could think of was "La Fontaine" which was in the Ren Cen. Thanks everyone who responded. It breaks my heart that so many of these restaurants no longer exist. I sure had lots of fun in some of these places.

The_rock

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, of course, a more recent closing relatively speaking , was Joe Muer's on Gratiot. Muer's lasted about 70 years , and was certainly one of the finest seafood restaurants in the country for both quality and variety. He absolutely hated Mayor Young,and blamed him for Detroit's business-related decline as well as the falling off of patrons at his restaurant, However, there were those who claimed that Muer's unwillingness to modify his menu coupled with the number of quality seafood houses in the suburbs were strong contributing factors to its demise.
Joe offered a very wide selection of fresh fish, and would not generally recommend one over another, but once told me that if he were lined up against the wall and had but one selection to make, it would be his broiled halibut. Excellent!
I know one chap who ate there weekly and never varied his selection--steak well done!

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 661
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckles: My dad often went there with his construction friends when they had a job site in the neighborhood, which was often. He'd mention Nick occasionally. Wasn't it somewhere near La Parisenne?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.