Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Livonia considers name change to Wal-Mart » Archive through February 05, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ganib_ganabs
Username: Ganib_ganabs

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though 72 percent of Livonia residents swear they will never use the city's new Wal-Mart(s), the powerhouse franchise that can bring crime and rough elements to the perfectly squared neighborhoods of Livonia has scored yet another site for one of their heathen harbourers.

SMART plans too call the newly-planned line the "Wal-Mart Blue Streak Line," hoping to bring shoppers lost in the last decade back into the city--The Great Wal-Marted city of Livonia-Wal

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman? Is that you?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3781
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Trainman? Is that you?

That's the same thing I was thinking. :-)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 715
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is not.

SMART will be back to Livonia in 2010, if my petition drive gets enough signatures, which needs to include high ranking regional officials.

But, will Wal-Mart support the petition??? They will if they care about their workers and customers, but do they?

Stosh
Username: Stosh

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If wishes were horses...

quote:

if my petition drive gets enough signatures, which needs to include high ranking regional officials.

Why is that? Does their signature count more than mine? Classist.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 717
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes they do. Money talks.

Stosh

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And bullshit walks. I guess that means that you will be doing a lot of walking, buddy.

(Message edited by stosh on February 04, 2009)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stosh, you're pretty new here, so I'm going to give you some free advice that is going to save you a lot of time, effort and frustration: Don't argue with Trainman. Either mock him or ignore him, but don't engage him in any way. Same goes for Danny.

Stosh

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just something that needed to be said. Thanks for the advice though.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Westland name itself after the mall?

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft, yes. Westland used to be Nankin Township until the late 60s. Livonia wanted to annex part of the former Nankin Township land that includes the current Westland Mall. So it became a city and is named for it.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6112
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox... you made me laugh... because it brought back the memory of a post that one of the old timers said...

quote:

Anyone with more than 50 posts and half a brain knows better than to argue with...

:-)

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia sucks.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia most certainly does not suck. Have you ever lived there, or is your opion based on nothing? If you don't like it, stay out of it.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Livonia most certainly does not suck."

Sure it does.

"Have you ever lived there, or is your opion based on nothing?"

Hmmm, riiiight. So if only I live there I can have an "opion" about it. I see. Well ... I guess you'll have to apply that logic to every suburbanite that has something to say about Detroit, huh?

"If you don't like it, stay out of it."

Ah, I'm banned from Livonia because I think it sucks. Big loss there, let me tell you. /sarcasm

Detroitbred

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your opinion doen't count because if you haven't lived there, you have nothing to base your opinion on. And yes, people who haven't lived in a particular place cannot have a well rounded, objective opinion, and shouldn't be so quick to say a place "sucks". I have lived in both Livonia and Detroit and neither one of them sucks. When youy have lived in each, then you can talk. You are welcome in Livonia any time my friend. If you choose not to go there, it's up to you.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear...good advice to Stosh...and everyone else here.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9330
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My city has a bigger dick commercial district than your city!

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My city has a bigger dick commercial district than your city!

So - but you don't have a Walmart!

Detroitbred

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dog's bigger than your dog, my dog's bigger than yours...my dog's bigger cause he eats Kennel Ration, my dog's bigger than yours!

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 949
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From NPR the other day...
65% of all Americans live an average of 5 minutes from a Wall Mart...

95% of all Americans live an average of 15 minutes from a Wall Mart...

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 950
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From NPR the other day...
65% of all Americans live an average of 5 minutes from a Wall Mart...

95% of all Americans live an average of 15 minutes from a Wall Mart...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4377
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. What have we come to?

Ganib-- why would Walmart bring crime?

As to Livonia sucking...most people who don't place a priority on living in a bland, typical midcentury suburban tract, and who don't place a high priority on perceived stability and safety, probably would think it sucks. But, I'm not surprised that many people think it's awesome, because many people exchange a bland, unstimulating existence for perceived safety and stability at low cost.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3727
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city of Wal-Mart doesn't totally suck. There was a restaurant on Plymouth Rd., across from the old Wonderland Mall that made good corned beef sandwiches.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 234
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hearthed...that place is still there ( still looks like it did 20 years ago ) and the corned beef is still wonderful ( no pun intended ). It is Breadbasket..great home made soups daily too. If you don't hate Livonia or think it sucks, stop there for lunch sometime. You won't be dissappointed!

Detroitbred

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hearthed...that place is still there ( still looks like it did 20 years ago ) and the corned beef is still wonderful ( no pun intended ). It is Breadbasket..great home made soups daily too. If you don't hate Livonia or think it sucks, stop there for lunch sometime. You won't be dissappointed!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3456
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know one thing I love about Livonia?

Yeah, me neither. :-)

Detroitbred

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All you Livonia bashers can get bent

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3458
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. I'm just kidding, Detroitbred. :-)

Choquant
Username: Choquant

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Livonia for 14 years of my life and I can confirm that it does, indeed, suck. There are only a few places of worth, such as Bates and the library system; otherwise, there is no culture. There are no good restaurants, bars, or museums, but honestly, the worst part about Livonia is its residents..