Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Who will subscribe to the online News/Free Press? » Archive through February 06, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5922
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious.

Yes or no and succinct reasons, sil vous plait.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 464
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.
Why should I?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes.

Afterall, I've been a complete cheap-ass and have read the paper online for a couple of years now.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.
I very seldom read news articles on a computer when it's free. I'm certainly not going to pay for it.

I almost get a headache just thinking about reading an edition of the Freep on a computer screen.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have subscribed to Crain's Detroit Business for about 15 years and watched them evolve into the cyber age. If either for both Detroit papers [<- funny word that anymore] followed on their hybrid model - a mailed-weekly quality print version with in depth articles and absence of BS combined with a compelling website and daily 'push' updates and alert emails, I would consider it.

I appreciate them most for metro and state news coverage. IMO they should give up any pretense of trying to cover Washington or international news, other than local Canadian, and focus like a laser on comprehensive local news coverage. That's their beat - stay with it and get better.

Crain's works because they provide quality and deliver something I can't ~conveniently~ find anywhere else. They have focus. They can get and retain me as a loyal customer even though I disagree with their overall political stance. This is what I would need to subscribe.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm saying no

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No way. I have home delivery of the Detroit News now and don't want to be tied to the computer to read the news. I'm switching to the Oakland Press next month so I can keep 7 day home delivery.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The online Free Press will continue to be free, won't it?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, not until they settle the strike with the original union(s), and compensate all the original strikers...and even then, no.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nope

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6517
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Succintly, I won't subscribe to the online Detroit News because I'll continue to get the complimentary hardcopy at breakfast -- as long as that lasts.

http://www.edetroitnews.com/ had some copy&paste problems. A graphic came out too small and in black&white. Maybe that's just growing pains.

I'd rather not have to carry my laptop to a restaurant for breakfast. Maybe it would work if the restaurant had those tables that could display an image of the paper. I could accept that if I could copy&paste data from it to a portable USB flash drive on my keychain.

(Message edited by Jimaz on February 06, 2009)

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 386
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOPE to any pay online paper

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 894
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My SUB started out with Fri -Sun, then Thurs got tossed in for free, then the rest of the week started showing up under my car.I will not pay for online subs so I guess if I do keep the freep I,ll read it when it comes or pick one up at the 7/11.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2950
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not it.

Marshall
Username: Marshall

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't pay. It's a shame that this city won't have a daily paper any more.

The New York Times used to charge and now I believe they are free. Too many other good, free news sources out there.

Besides, as someone said on this forum, you can't put your computer under the litter box or bring it into the porcelan library with you.

(Message edited by marshall on February 06, 2009)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We subscribe to both the Freep and the News. I enjoy sitting down to read the paper at breakfast, and after dinner in the evening. I spend 8+ hrs a day sitting in front of a computer at work, plus a couple more hours checking in here or corresponding with friends or working on personal projects. I really can't see sitting in front of the computer for another hour to read my daily news.

One aspect of reading the physical newspaper is the ability to browse the pages within a section from top to bottom, from front to back, in any order I choose, to scan the biggest headline to the smallest news item, picking what I want to read, to read what grabs my attention. I can't imagine doing that on the computer. I'm sure that the subscription site will accommodate page views and scan and zoom functions, but it just won't be the same. Certainly I read some news on the computer each day, but not local news. I'm sure that I would not see and enjoy all the news items and features that I read in the print version.

And it's unlikely that I would ever will subscribe to both papers online. So we'll be spending less money. Good for us, but that's a revenue loss for the paper that I would have to chuck.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@Marshall:

Actually, the New York Times is considering going back to a paid-subscription business model for online content.

http://blogs.reuters.com/media file/2009/02/04/new-york-times -still-thinks-about-charging/

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. I will miss reading the Freep with a cup of coffee. I won't run to a store on a bitterly cold morning just for a paper. CNN will have to suffice.

I will take the Sunday Freep just for the coupons.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 951
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no...
It's not good enough. It doesn't dig deep enough to provide truth...

Marshall
Username: Marshall

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is somewhat "tongue-in-cheek" but I wonder how much our physiognomy will evolve over time with more dependence on display tubes and less on print.

Will we have bigger, more sensitive eyes like the aliens in the tabloids? Will our posture change to one more conducive to sitting in front of a tube all day? Will we grow extra fingers and wrist muscles?

Personally I never could get into e-books. I like to relax in my favorite chair with my book or a newspaper in hand, enjoying the experience. But then again I'm 60 and getting kind of set in my ways.

Besides 8 hours a day in front of a monitor is plenty. Like Kathleen said.

(Message edited by marshall on February 06, 2009)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going to the "can" with my laptop just wouldnt work for me.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen--
If you subscribe to the print papers (Thursday-Sunday) you automatically can access the electronic editions on any day for free.

Buckster1986
Username: Buckster1986

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently subscribed to the Free Press. I get the print edition 3 times a week and have access to the online edition (even though it's free right now).

If you like to see the actual layout of the paper than it is worth it. I bet they come out with some elctronic tablet that you can download the PDFs and read them on it.

Nothing will ever beat the real thing.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I very seldom read news articles on a computer when it's free. I'm certainly not going to pay for it. "
"It's not good enough. It doesn't dig deep enough to provide truth..."

That's my big problem with the Internet: It goes against capitalism. I'm all for free, too, but if people keep stealing MP3s or newspapers keep giving away content, why would they continue to stay in business if there's no money to be made in it? Sad but true.
So if nobody wants to pay for news, and the corporations that run the papers aren't making money and either fold or fold the News or Free Press, how are we the people supposed to know what's going on? I agree they don't always hit homers, but the body in ice, Synagro and lest we not forget that the Free Press is the paper that exposed and brought down a corrupt mayor. So yeah, I might have to suffer through articles about petting zoos or some such nonsense sometimes, but I disagree with you guys. Granted, I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 891
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't pay for online Freep. The day my delivery stops with the Free Press is the day that I start the Macomb Daily 7 days a week.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 584
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will cause it's hard to sit in the Lazy Boy with my coffee and computer in my slippees and jammies in the morning.

Raj313
Username: Raj313

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, why buy the cow when the milk is free?

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 375
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I won't pay. It's a shame that this city won't have a daily paper any more."

The papers will publish 7 days a week, just like they do now. They are cutting back on delivery days.

No, I won't subscribe. Too many other places to get news online. Paying for the internet is costly enough. If I want to read those papers, I'll get off my ass and go buy one. But I don't see that happening either. :-)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3465
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Instead of wasting money by printing an actual newspaper on several days, which their older readers want to read, they're wasting money by trying to get their older readers to read it in a medium they don't want to. How silly! :-(

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7685
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't read the news on my laptop while riding the bus, so no.