Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Red hammer « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Edgar_rhode
Username: Edgar_rhode

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

red hammer

i've been curious about this "decoration" for some time - its on a fairly tall building across from the detroit symphony building. does anyone know the history? the artist? the significance? who owns it? ( ie why hasn't the burned out hammer in the sequence been fixed? )

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, that hammer sequence has been jacked up for years now on both sides.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when the red neon stripe was on near the top of the building. I thought that looked very nice, compared to the "hammer carrot hammer" by itself.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5703
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's the Carpenter's Union hall. Or at least it was at one time.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5704
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Local 687, according to Google.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 393
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only the sickle is missing.

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice try, Homer, but communists are anti-union.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9360
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I remember when the red neon stripe was on near the top of the building. I thought that looked very nice, compared to the "hammer carrot hammer" by itself.

Haha, that's what I've always called it too.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i called it hammer hammer carrot

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 668
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Michigan Council of Carpenters and Millwrights union used to own the building. They still have offices on the top two floors. The rest of the building is primarily physian offices and business offices for the WSU Physician Practice (billing offices).

http://www.hammer9.com/

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9362
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i called it hammer hammer carrot

I think hammer hammer carrot is the North side, and hammer carrot hammer is the South side.

Edgar_rhode
Username: Edgar_rhode

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

crew ( and everyone else ) - thanks for the info. i guess i'll contact the union for the specifics re the "artist" or tradesmen involved.

funny - i always think of the hammer that makes up a part of the "story" in pink floyd's "the wall" when i see it.

either that or the peculiar mindset that says " when all you have is a hammer - EVERYTHING looks like a nail."

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't ever remember it working perfectly. I do remember it working better than it does now, though.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 945
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps a little intra-union cooperative partnership with International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers could get the sign working again!

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^They ain't payin' those wages....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.