Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Economy halts downtown Detroit's revitalization; some say it's temporary « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 267
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today's Free Press looks at the up's and down's of Downtown revitalization though these hard times.
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090208/BUSINESS04/902080374

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3789
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Economy halts downtown Detroit's revitalization

No kidding!?

I hope the economy recovers soon. I would hate to see all of our hard work go down the drain. We've lost over half of our retail along Woodward.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 925
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to admire the few businesses that did open along Woodward but I wonder if any of them were close to sustaining profitability before the downturn. As we've discussed many times, the conditions have not been right for most types of retail on Woodward even prior to the economy tanking.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 676
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DR, I don't think we will be seeing a replacement of that retail anytime soon. Problem is not only is Detroit a one horse town, but that horse is obese with a bad heart condition and is galloping on 1.5 legs. We need some young ponies to come along (not one, but like maybe 5 - 10) to carry the weight that old broken down horse used to carry.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.