Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Zaccaros market « Previous Next »
Archive through February 09, 2009Sciencefair30 02-09-09  2:47 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This sucks to hear. However, from the start, I thought they should have opened their store closer to the Wayne State/Cultural district. They would've had much more foot traffic"

I really hate to hear this! I shopped there atleast 2x a month, I love the spices and drinks, yet the meata were too expensive! oh well, looks like I will make one last trip there. And yes the customer service was a bit blah!

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit News article:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20090209/BIZ/9 02090422

Bobby08

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the Downtown Food Land in Lafeyette Park? Their prices are out of gate as well. I dont think the local residents will patronize them for too long. I saw a brisket in the meat dept for $66! it really saddens me to hear about another great loss in Detroit. Yet, I didnt know the dynamics of this case with the owner's complex in terms of running a store, etc. Very sad. I hope the workers find jobs.

The Wayne State area would not have been a good local due to the college students who live off student loans. I love my city but I do all my grocery shoppin @ Eastern Market, Trader Joes, Joe Randazzo's, and at times Whole foods! I used to shop @ Walmart but I refuse to set food in the grocery section, its like a damm Cattle Call! Kids running all over the place, poor poor customer service,long lines, etc.

Bobby08

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the Downtown Food Land in Lafeyette Park? Their prices are out of gate as well. I dont think the local residents will patronize them for too long. I saw a brisket in the meat dept for $66! it really saddens me to hear about another great loss in Detroit. Yet, I didnt know the dynamics of this case with the owner's complex in terms of running a store, etc. Very sad. I hope the workers find jobs.

The Wayne State area would not have been a good local due to the college students who live off student loans. I love my city but I do all my grocery shoppin @ Eastern Market, Trader Joes, Joe Randazzo's, and at times Whole foods! I used to shop @ Walmart but I refuse to set food in the grocery section, its like a damm Cattle Call! Kids running all over the place, poor poor customer service,long lines, etc.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby08, but you agree that my statement is true?

There is more foot traffic near the school, right?

Students do eat food, right?

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 274
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is it with these places trying to sell groceries at top $ in the middle of the poorest city in the country? Even with the trickle of gentrfication into the central city there's nowhere near enough market to support that sort of thing. Don't folks do any market research (like, say, a drive through nearby neighborhoods, perhaps)? Or did they just go on wishful thinking about what the city "could be" and the anecdotal encouragement of their friends?

I agree with the people here who say that this place needed to be better focused, have somewhat lower prices (and a better lease), and a location nearer to the population center of that area in order to succeed. When I first went into the place I predicted it would be gone in 3 years. Looks like I was way off. Detroit is not, and will never be, Birmingham, and those trying to make it so are engaging in wishful thinking rather than good solid business that addresses our real needs.

Bobby08

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right there is more traffice, but the professors and other professionals would be more willing to buy goods than the students, I would think, maybe even some grad students.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the store a lot, but $8 for a jar of pickles in Detroit? I can't say I'm surprised. A shame.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 772
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be some charming pickles!

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

<313>

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2098
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I paid 9 bucks for a 6 pack of faygo there. Another person with high hopes but no clue.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear God, Chitaku, I hope that Faygo was spiked with something liquor-y.

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in Midtown and went to WSU - I drove to Trader's in Royal Oak regularly.

My broke college friends and I still valued good food and were willing to travel and pay for it.

$9 for pickles though? Hell no.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't distort the facts, Newlaster! It was EIGHT dollars for the pickles. :-)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone is selling $8 pickles at eastern market sometimes too, i splurged once and bought em, they were really fucking good, but yeah....$8 dollar pickles

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 771
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ms. Warner should be thanked.

She was willing to be one of those to take a risk on the city's future, and I think it's not fair or right to pick her apart. She had the courage to step up, make an investment, and unfortunately, it didn't work the way she wanted it to.

I hope she reopens another store in Detroit with a different business plan, and wish her success in the future.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weird phenomenon. Not to blame anybody, but when our store closed after 25 years in business, a lot of folks came in to pick at the carcass saying " where are we going to shop now"? Many of these folks came in less than once a year. I don't get it.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCCLURES PICKLES!

Shit is expensive but they are good. Thats the standard price.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pythonmaster, I am sorry to hear about your loss. May I ask what your store was?

- Andy

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 618
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry to hear that. I always liked the store even though it was a little on the high end. I hope they can reopen down the line.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy-
Cameras

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 680
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a feeling that would happen,, It was actually kinda of a cool place and I do think Miss Warner should be thanked for the effort. I did think it just didnt have enough appeal, as a Westborn or Holiday market does variety wise, and the crash of the economy would kill some of the best backed stores today...This is happening in many cities, I was in Cleveland visiting two weeks ago and they are suffering a similar fate in many "upscale "retail store enviroments. The money, and the customers,, just arent there.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are parts of Detroit (the City proper) where people have more disposable income than in many suburbs, yet few shops or restaurants open. I don't experience that phenomenon when I visit other North American cities. If you're in a fairly well-off area of Chicago or Toronto or Boston or Portland, there are plenty of nice places to shop, eat and drink. Detroit, not so much. I've always wondered at this.

Midtown a lot of the population consists of college students, and no, they haven't got money for expensive things. Downtown, few people live and fewer yet walk, so it's harder than hell to make a go of a retail establishments. But in the more upscale hoods, it's surprising so few even try.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved this place, and it was a real source of pride for me -- something that I could point out to visiting friends and family and say, "Hey -- look what's two blocks away from me!" As a Brush Park resident, Zaccaro's was something to brag about.

I went there relatively often, but not daily or weekly, necessarily -- maybe 2-4 times per month on average. I spread my money all around the city, from Ryan's, E&L and Honeybee in Southwest to University Foods and Foodland to Avalon and the shops at Eastern Market Like Hirt, Cost Plus, and Rocky's. Frankly, if I had known that Zaccaro's had been struggling, I would have made a more concerted effort to support them. I had no idea that anything was wrong.

I'm really going to miss this place. Why no effort to strip things down a bit and start over, like Mercury Bar? Seems like a waste to just abandon the whole enterprise after less than a year. Maybe someone else will step in and give it a go?

Avalon, for instance, is very tucked away compared to Zaccaro's, but seems to have enjoyed sustained success over the years. Is Zaccaros' failure primarily because they tried to do too much too fast?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waymoreland,
I would say yes, If they first concentrated on the grocery, Bakery, and Coffee, gradually brought in prepared foods, next sandwiches, and finally bring in Catering, and Classes... Doing it all at once brought about chaos.
Also the set up and pricing were huge flaws...
What store do you know puts its Counters and grab and go coolers at the very front of the store... They should have been at the very rear to create a more balanced trafic flow and generate more grocery sales. Also The pricing was an issue off the bat and if it ever got rectified it was too late customer retention was vastly effected...
Lastly getting 60 percent of their stock from a mile away at Hirt and pricing it higher did not help their pricing problem...
Thats my 2 cents at least..
If it was set up for more of a People's food CO-OP type feel it could have flourished...

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

'This is happening in many cities, I was in Cleveland visiting two weeks ago and they are suffering a similar fate in many "upscale" retail store enviroments. The money, and the customers just arent there.'

I'm not trying to be a donkey or stir the pot, but the fact that it is happening everywhere isn't comforting, and doesn't make it okay. Now, if Cleveland had developed some system that turned it around, that might be a more helpful to mention.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 682
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, the comment wasnt meant to be comforting nor okay.. just merely mentioning that upstart high end grocery stores locating in other cities ( such as Clevelands) regentrified areas are having similar problems as the customer base they are seeking is unfortunately not around, nor is the money presently.... nothing more, nothing less..

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Companies are freezing wages-laying off-cutting back on overtime.Fear and apprehension are causing consumers to tighten up on the spending. Unless a worker at Zaccaros worked as a manager or full time experienced meat cutter they probably didnt make enough to make ends meet based on my experience in grocery retail as a worker-department manager and sales rep. Its not like in the old days where a working person could go to the unionized shop and make a dignified liveable wage if college didnt work out. The major grocery chains at one time paid benefits and wages that a worker could utilize to make a good living and retire comfortably.

As for the location Woodward has the traffic flow, and there are professionals who work downtown, and lofts are popping up left and right so on the surface the location would seem to be on the mark. Lower income residents splurge on gourmet food. There are hospitals downtown. Also,companies pay slotting fees to supermarkets if they sell select items.t

Croweblack
Username: Croweblack

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep lofts are popping up all over town the only prob is they are all vacant and have been even before the credit meltdown

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the location was good. it was neither downtown nor-midtown. that said, the store was beautiful. it will be missed.

Waymooreland

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I've been beating myself up all day like I'm responsible for this because I live in Brush Park and I should have supported Zaccaro's more than I did and I just realized -- did they ever even bother reaching out to me? Maybe advertising a little? I mean, I get flyers from farther away places like University, Food Pride, Foodland, E&L, but the place right in my neighborhood doesn't feel like they need to court my business? A little reminder or incentive, just something to say, "Hey, we miss you! Don't forget to stop in for _______ this week!" and I probably would have been in there a lot more. Small businesses need to develop and nurture relationships with their customers to keep them coming back with the kind of frequency that it seems like it would have required to keep Zaccaro's afloat.

I guess I'm just saying that I probably would have been more loyal to Zaccaro's if they had shown me that they really needed/valued my business.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 940
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

took me all of a minute to sign up on their email list and got coupons, news, and event notifications all the time.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I live in Brush park and would of went there more if Cindy would of come over, rang my doorbell and walked me to the store. Otherwise I never knew it was there."

For god sakes man

Waymooreland

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose you're right, Rsa. Honestly, I wish I had signed up too, but I don't typically visit grocery stores' websites. Never really occurred to me, I guess. Maybe I would have if a store employee would have promoted it one of the many times I shopped there. That's kind of the same thing I'm getting at. Why leave so much of the effort up to the customer? I have to go online and take the initiative to sign up for you to promote your business to me? If an employee had directed me to check out their website, I'm sure I would have signed up.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2344
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me, do you make your Butler butter your toastpoints or do you do that yourself?

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Momma dresses him every morning.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean he does have kind of a point, I never saw Zaccaro's advertise anywhere, to be honest. I heard about it on this website and on Model D when it opened, but that's really all.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 941
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they had a clipboard next to the cash register. there were also links to the site on just about every online news source.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 601
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Brush Park too. As a specialty store it was cool, but for an every week grocier it made no sense. For the amout you would pay there you could get it way cheaper at Eastern Market. I felt the same way, they were marking up their prices.

Like Faygo and Better made,Zarracos would charge 1.50 for a 75 cent bag of chips you could get across the street. From the start I felt like I was trying to support something instead of it being somewhere I could feel good about getting a fair deal and a fair amount of groceries. I just think they needed to adjust to reality and not try to dupe their customers they might have survived. I was glad it opened, I am sad they couldn't get it right.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a former Midtowner, I think that food service folks in that area should look at why places like Avalon and Traffic Jam have been so successful... and "go thou and do likewise."

Waymooreland

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poke fun all you want, guys -- the point I was trying to make was that grocery stores are not boutiques where you can just pop in once every couple weeks or months and buy one thing and feel like you're giving them a boost. And furthermore, I signed up for mailing lists to places like Mezzanine and Bureau because (a) they're the types of stores that traditionally use email lists, and (b) they asked me to sign up the first time I walked in. What the hell kind of grocery store relies on an e-mail list to get information out? The point isn't about me being lazy or whatever, it's about Zaccaro's and the underlying attitudes that the management's actions reveal.

Zaccaro's was a very complex operation that required a large number of area residents to make it their everyday grocer in order to be successful. After some consideration, I feel that the business failed at achieving that partially because its management behaved as if it were some chic little boutique or something, instead of a grocery store. The conditions for Zaccaro's success were far different from those of say, Ladel's Books or GGGTP that survive off of word of mouth and Model D and I think that they dropped the ball on promoting it. You can't just set up shop and expect people to show up.

AND...if there were so many problems with pricing that were later rectified, but nobody knew, why not do a frickin' flyer that illustrates that the prices had been reduced? 'Cause Zaccaro's just don't do that 'cause it's too upscale? Give me a break.

I am sorry to rant -- it's really unlike me to do this on here -- but I'm just very frustrated that Zaccaro's was in trouble, but just carried on smugly as if it were not desperate for business.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.