Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Books on Detroit and surrounding areas-Seen them at Barnes & Nobles « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else seen or own these books? They are brown and kinda antique looking and cover all the different attractions of Detroit. Hudsons, Drinkin establishments, Belle Isle, etc. VERY interesting books to browse the pics. Made me want to visit the Historical Museum. And no I'm not affiliated with the books in any way.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you referring to the ones by Arcadia Publishing? They've got a lot of 'em at Pure Detroit and Dossin, too.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Public Library has many of the Arcadia Press publications...

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can also buy them at many Borders Books locations. Former DYes poster 'kbkav' (and current Model D writer) wrote the Arcadia book about the Michigan Central Station.

(edited for clarity)

(Message edited by rocknrollscientist on February 09, 2009)

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R.J. Hirt in Eastern Market has a great supply of these.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 588
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I own the Mich Central and Hudsons Arcadia Books. Excellent resources.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a bunch of them at the Detroit Historical Society - as a member you get discounts and on the day I went they were half off. This sale is not a regular occurrence.

I intend on going back and buying another $200 or so of them sometime soon. They're great to have.

Some of my favs are the Sanders one, the one by S.R. Borland on music, and Detroit City of Industry (I think that's what it was called).

I need to pick up the transit ones - they didn't have them there at the time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.