Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Another French Restaurant!! Mais Oui! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/lepetitzinc17809. aspx
Le Petit Zinc

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city has taken so many steps back in recent months, the U.S. is giving it back to the British, who plan on returning it to the French.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 938
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fantastique! We need more French restaurants.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is awesome news!!

cliff bell's serves french food now, too...

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sorel has applied for a grant from Wayne County in the hopes of obtaining his wine and beer license. He estimates the cost for the license, counting legal fees, to be about $30,000 -- while in New York City, he paid about $1,000. "Everything is more expensive in Michigan, to open a business," he says.

Mais non!

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 682
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought Detroit didn't embrace its French Heritage enough!

Birdie

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i visited this charming spot this morning for cafe and a tartine. c'est marveilleuse! the decor is darling - just like something you might find on a quaint street in the south of france. the owner was delightful and the coffee and food were tasty. the patio has a fountain and will be the perfect place to sit in the summer. on their website it mentions that the owner is behind two great business i've enjoyed in fort greene in brooklyn. stop by and check it out!

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birdie: thanks for previewing it for us, I look forward to checking our Mssr. Sorel's cafe.

Who knows, perhaps he'll make space for a petanque court ...

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the price range?

Birdie

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cappucino $3, croissant with jam $3, lots of yummy-sounding sanwiches and treats for lunch in the $6 - $7 range, crepes in the $3-$4 range.

can't wait to go back and try something new!

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 215
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I stopped by Le Petit Zinc this afternoon at around 1pm and had a delightful lunch. It was very French, in that, we stayed and chatted with absolute strangers for over two hours, during which, we shared a yummy endive, walnut, and blue cheese salad, un jambon et fromage (ham & swiss) crepe, and a ratatouille crepe - finishing with a large bowl of fruit salad covered with a honey syrup. With coffee and cranberry juice, the bill came to about $30. I think it was a good price for all of the time we spent there.

The decor is cheery: with brightly painted yellow walls, tiled pavers, and of course their signature zinc wrapped bar topped with glass cloche covered cakes. From the outside, on Trumbull, you'd hardly notice anything going on, but once you walk through the cast iron gates, through the garden (in summer it will be an outside eating area as well) - and into the cozy bright interior - you really feel like you're in a small cafe in the Marais...

Anyhow, give it a try, but give yourself some time, they just started up business, and you need to re-program yourself to the pleasures of slow & real food. That means, if you're expecting a fast sandwich and out the door, then go to McDonalds.

See you there!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Model D article:
quote:

Sorel has applied for a grant from Wayne County in the hopes of obtaining his wine and beer license. He estimates the cost for the license, counting legal fees, to be about $30,000 -- while in New York City, he paid about $1,000. "Everything is more expensive in Michigan, to open a business," he says.

This makes it abundantly clear to me that this region will never recover until the local and state government bureaucracies undergo a total restructuring and transform themselves into streamlined operations that truly believe and act like they exist to serve the people, not the other way around.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 305
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding Mikem's comment, I think the difference in costs to obtain a liquor license in Detroit compared to NYC is a great example as to why nothing gets done around here. To have to pay 30 times the amount a liquor license in NYC costs, not to mention the added hassle that accompanies the process in Detroit, is a huge detriment for those who dream of opening a restaurant. These examples are an indictment on how this city does business. Something needs to change.

I have to give Mr. Sorel a tremendous amount of credit for moving forward with this project in the face of such daunting obstacles presented by the leadership here, not to mention the economy. This is a great story.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

went there yesterday. i couldn't picture where they were, which building could this quaint little restaurant be in. a long time ago it was a daycare. it is kitty corner from the national dry goods on trumbull. the little building they occupy has been vacant for years.

i will be back, it's great to have another place in the city to sit down for a meal or snack that's affordable. the owner said he was so busy on saturday that he closed an hour early. if business is good, he will extend the hours.

wish him much success
souhaitez-lui beaucoup de succès

thanks to my mac translator :-)

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hang on, if it was so busy, why would he close early? I think businesses in Detroit should try and avoid having random hours. I know it is their right and all, but consistency is very important...just my two cents.

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol. i said the same thing but when you go there, you'll see that the staff is small. he said they were so busy that they were exhausted and in order to get a break and catch their breath, they decided to close early. it's possible that they may have started to run out of things needed to make the food. it sounded as if it was completely unexpected to be that busy.

they have very limited hours right now as it is. mf 8-5 and sat 8-6
it's hard for most people to get there until saturday unless you live/work in the area. i'm hoping that during the summer the hours will be longer since it's still light out late into the day. the little patio outside is great. he's been open almost 3 weeks and plans to slowly grow as demand increases.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.